Diesel Cafe

617-629-8717

257 Elm St (at David Square), Somerville, Massachusetts, USA, 02144

Serves meat, vegan options available. Coffee shop offering a food menu of sandwiches, soups, and salads. Several vegetarian sandwiches. Will substitute soy milk in your drink.

Category: Lacto, Ovo, American, Take-out, Non-veg

First Review by slithers

Pretentious is a real thing. - Edit

Diesal Café is a tad bit better than say, Starbucks, and yet thinks it's a lower East Side coffee shop.

It's not.

The lattes were okay as long as the female baristas were working. Three males in a row were all bad apples, another 2 I noticed, didn't seem to work much.

Great décor, average coffee. Wifi, average speed. Booted me off somewhat frequently.

Also - The following happened like 4 or 5 times in variations at Diesal in my first week living and going there - everyday - after just having moved into Somerville:

I ordered a caramel latte with a breakfast burrito, and scone. It took 23 minutes.

One bro looking 'barista' told me my latte wasn't mine, after I waited like 10 minutes staring at it dying in the coffee window.

Then he insisted it was someone else's, half paying attention, then without even looking at his screen, told me that it was mine after all, when he'd called out the wrong name several times. No acknowledgment of a mistake. At all.

Five people stood there like idiots waiting for their average $7 drinks.

Finally I took the dead latte to my table. Its heart, no longer recognizable. Then tasted it.

No caramel! OMG.

- I brought it back and asked for caramel.

- The Bro did something seemingly abstract with his arms and the latte behind the counter.

- I took it back to my table.

- No caramel. Not even at the bottom.

The guy there had actually just lied to me.

On top of another guy serving me an old breakfast burrito, really--DRY. The original 'bro' then refused to remake my drink and gave me an attitude like I didn't know what I was doing in his private club. Wow.

Then, he refused to refund my coffee until I insisted more severely. Which I did, pretty severely insist upon.

Never going again.

Pros: Decor, Ambiance, Bathrooms

Cons: Service, Male servers, attitude

some vegan options - Edit

Back in 2000, Diesel used to be one of my favorite vegan friendly places in the area, but while the world has grown more vegan-friendly, Diesel is slightly less so than it used to be. Still, it is better than its sister cafe (Bloc 11 in Union Sq).
Diesel usually has 1 or 2 vegan items on the menu, plus 1 or 2 vegan baked goods & sometimes vegan soup. Like Bloc 11, the can modify menu items as desired & they have bagels & soy milk.
It's a big place, but usually crowded & can be hard to get a table at times. The vegan options the have are OK, but nothing to go out of your way for. Plus, there are plenty of vegan-friendly eats in Davis Sq.
Diesel is very queer-friendly, so if you're gender-nonconforming like me, you'll be socially at home here.

Pros: Some vegan options, Vegan baked goods, Good atmosphere

Cons: Crowded, Not many nor great vegan options

Return to Somerville Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Diesel Cafe closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.