Dhaba Beas - Tynska

• Vegetarian
Contact 777165478

Tynska 19, Prague, Czech Republic, Praha 1

Group of self-service vegetarian dhaba buffets. Offers both Indian and European vegetarian food including salads and fresh juices. Food is priced by weight. Happy hour discount 50% off one hour before closing time. Directions: 1 minute walk from Old Square, take Tynska street, just to the left facing side of Tyn Church, the alley winds and forks into different sections, so ask someone. The restaurant is next to Tyn Hostel.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Indian, Buffet, Fast food, Salad bar, Juice bar, European

First Review by sarahb

Bea's - Tynska - Edit

I've visited a few restaurants of the Dhaba Bea's chain in Prague, and most frequently the one on Tynska, because of the location.
Bea's is not a bad option for a hungry vegetarian in the midst of a day of walking around downtown, in the need of a quick lunch. The food is not bad, but I have to admit that after visiting the place the second time, the meals started to feel a bit repetative and pricy.

Pros: Central location, Quick and easy

Cons: A bit pricy, Somewhat bland

Great service - Edit

We came here after trying a few other vegetarian restaurants near old town square and finding them all closed. The staff are very friendly and helpful, they spoke limited English but we had no trouble communicating. The food was good, a small selection of mild curries which I enjoyed - there was a spicy relish you could add if you like spice. The vegan options are well labeled.

Tasty, Cheap, and Quick Indian Food! - Edit

Came for lunch and my meal was very tasty and also really inexpensive. The place is self serve and pay by weight. Would recommend the samosa! The place was pretty full when I went, I ended up sitting at a table of 4 with a stranger, didn't bother me though. Also if you don't have lot's of time come here for a quick meal!

Pros: Tasty, Inexpensive, Fast

Good price for good warm food - Edit

Serve yourself from a good selection of Indian food: curries, veg dishes, rice, samosa, etc., and pay by weight, a good system for lighter eaters or people who want to try everything on the menu. Tasty and flavorful. Serves dairy but vegan dishes are clearly labeled. Comfy atmosphere too.

Nice find - Edit

I was happy to find a veggie restaurant so easilly. The meal was weighed for price, well spiced, and had a nice selection of curries. A lot of locals seemed to be dropping in for a meal. Not thaat cheap, but decently priced, service was a bit curt, but that czech for you.

Pros: Location, Spiciness, variety

Cons: price, service

Great food! - Edit

This little buffet-style Indian restaurant was perfectly situated next to the hostel we stayed in. We had lunch here upon our arrival to Prague and enjoyed it very much! You pay by weight and everything is well marked as vegetarian, vegan, etc. Good food and reasonable prices. Would definitely recommend!

good value for money - Edit

Buffet style selection of Indian food items- paid for by weight. Good value for money. Central location- just down from Tynn church. Courtyard eating area. Good quality. Friendly staff.

Pros: cheap, central, courtyard

Great Location - Edit

Came across this place whilst looking for Maitrea nearby as they are on similarly named streets that should not get confused. On the main street you will see the big signs confirming you have found it but you need to go through the archway into a short alleyway then left through a courtyard which in summer is a popular sering area for the Dhaba Beas crowd. If you've read the reviews and checked out the website, you know the score here is nutritious Indian style food at bargain prices (bargain for tourists I suppose not necessarily the locals, I don't really know). Get down here if you are in the Old Town and don't want to get ripped off.

Pros: cheap, location, outside seating courtyard

Cons: fairly bland

Tasty and quick - Edit

I had read about this place on happycow, and stopped in on a past trip to Prague. Here's my Dhaba Beas review.

For a casual and fast meal, Beas is a good choice. The food is South Indian style, and you can order a la carte or a set combo plate.

The space is inviting, simple, and clean with warm lighting. There are also tables outside. The guys at the counter were very friendly.

On the day we visited there were many diners enjoying their meals both inside and out.

Next time I visit Prague I would also like to try the other Dhaba Beas locations.

Pros: inexpensive & quick, Indian music playing, all veg

Good place for a quick lunch - Edit

This place is conveniently located very close to the Old Town Square, but is easy to miss as it is tucked away in a quiet little alley.

Food is pay by weight - working out to about 17ck per 100g, plus extras for things like poppadoms and samosas. On the day we went, two curries and rice (plus extras) were suitable for vegans, several other curries, dal and chappatis were prepared with butter.

Food was nothing to rave about, but was simple, tasty and reasonably priced. Not somewhere for a romantic meal, a good place to nourish your body and gain a respite from the hustle and bustle from the Old Town.

Pros: Wholesome Food, Inexpensive, Close to Old Town Square

Cons: Limited Vegan Options

Affordable, tasty food - Edit

I stayed in Hostel Tyn, and our room was directly above Dhaba Beas! This was a really great, affordable place for lunch and dinner, and being literally next door to our hostel meant we frequented it for five of our six meals in Prague... There was always at least one vegan curry option, and boiled and flavoured rice, poppadoms and vegan samosas. The last evening we were there we had particularly yummy lentil and potato dishes. Only criticism would be the first evening the only vegan option was quite bland, but every other occasion it was really quite tasty. Can't be beaten for price, and in the hour before closing they take 30% off the bill.

Pros: Vegan options, Central location, Affordable

Yummy Indian food - Edit

A friend suggested this place for veg food in Prague. You stand in a line, grab a thali, and serve your own food. There was quite a crowd I felt a bit rushed to choose my food. The staff didn't really speak English but we managed to figure out how much it cost. It was hard to find a seat, so we circled the place until a woman offered us her table. It's kind of cafeteria-style. The food was yummy, and I would have taken more, but I felt the price was rather moderate and not so cheap (169 CZK/ 100 g....?).

Pros: lots of choices

Cons: confusing, limited seating

Fantastic budget option - Edit

This place is very tricky to find, so I was glad when we finally worked it out. It's worth trying to find it, as it's 2 minutes from the Old Town square, so very handy. It was a strange experience as when we first went in, there didn't seem to be any employees there, and the signs are all in Czech so we didn't really want to just dig in without knowing what to do! Then an employee appeared and asked if we needed help and it was all fine after that.

It's pretty basic, canteen style, but very clean and pleasant enough. You get a metal tray, which you fill from the self service containers of food, and pay by weight. I remember a dahl, a chickpea curry, and a spinach curry. It's reasonable enough, I've had better curry, but it's still great to have vegan curry as an option when you're on holiday. If you're strict vegan, you might want to double check if dishes have butter or other dairy in them - it wasn't immediately apparent. They also had various puddings, although we didn't try them. This place is also really cheap so if you're on a budget, it's a great find. I would eat here again - it served a purpose in filling us with nutritious curry leaving us warmed up and ready to get on with our sightseeing.

Pros: Great prices, You can eat a lot, Handy location

Cons: Limited choices

delicious food - Edit

Delicious food, best veggie restaurant I visited in Prague. Reasonable prices, decent range of food to choose between, english speaking staff and also very friendly staff. when it's warm outside, you can eat in the outdoor seating. Not easy to notice, but definitely worth looking for. It's self-service restaurant, you can compose your own meal. I highly recommend!

Pros: delicious food, cheap, outdoor seating

Best vegetarian restaurant in Prague so far. - Edit

We could find it for a long time (It is situated in the backyard and the logo is illegible) but it was definitely worth it. The food was delicious, unlike many Indian restaurants we had visited the selection was quite large. The atmosphere was unforgivable, staff friendly, English-speaking. I really recommend that place!

Pros: Delicious food, Cheap, self-service

Cons: Not easy to find

Decent, inexpensive and filling - Edit

While it was nice to have an Indian meal in Prague, I'd have to say that though healthfully made, the food here was fairly bland. I work in NYC, perhaps I'm accustomed to spicier Indian, so this may just be a matter of taste. It is a buffet, so one can pretty easily work around the language barrier. You serve yourself and they charge by weight at the register. Nice relaxing vibe. Friendly staff.

Pros: Indian food!, Plentiful vegetables in their dishes, Buffet (instant gratification)

Cons: Somewhat bland

wonderful - Edit

Judging by the negative comments taste is in the eye of the beholder obviously, or something like that. If that was accurate we would need eyewash and if the food was hot and spicy it could be nasty.
We loved this place when we were in Prague last year, we wont go into more detail as we have left the review too long for details, but the value for money was excellant. Its

Pros: tasty, good value

all veg - Edit

went here when i was having trouble finding something vegetarian, so i was happy enough to be able to eat. the food was ok. i also found most vegetarian restaurants in prague were exceptional.

Pros: cheap

Best Indian Vegetarian in Prague - Edit

A brilliant place in the old square. Reasonably priced. We were thrilled to see a long queue waiting to order that too in a Vegetarian outlet considering Prague being a meat-infested city! The whole place was jam-packed during lunch time. Food was delicious and homely, especially the paratha menu just stood out. We were little apprehensive about ordering dosa as most of the items were North-Indian, but again it took us by surprise. The samosa as well as the spring rolls were just excellent especially the chutney. The sweet dishes (desserts) were also good and the mango lassi just stood out. All in all an excellent restaurant and we went there almost everyday while we were in prague.

Pros: Delicious n homely food, Reasonably Priced

Cons: Timing-opens only @11 & closes @8, Very limited seating inside

not as good as it should be - Edit

Just a quick review: I went here after reading good things on the internet but was a little disappointed with the lack of vegan choices (only 3, and not very exciting ones at that.) I had the dosa which was average, to say the most. Staff were friendly enough but not enough to make up for the averageness of the food. The dosa was a bit overcooked and the chutneys were just not fantastic. There are other places nearby (eg Country Life) more satisfying and interesting for vegans.

Pros: Inexpensive, Pleasant setting

Cons: Average food, Toilet low on toilet paper!, Staff wasn't too enthusiastic

good value - heavy on the starch for vegans - Edit

The prices are reasonable considering that this is Prague.
The choices are quite limited for vegans - only the paratha menu, noodle menu, and dosa. The server indicated that all of the vegetable curries, etc. were made with dairy.
Friendly staff.
The food was OK, but nothing great.

Pros: value, quick, service

Cons: few vegan options

Nice simple food - Edit

A nice place that's close to the centre. The food is very cheep, and quite good in its own way. You get your dish out of a huge pot and into a metal platter. Filling - but not briliant. They don't speak that much English, and when I asked for no yogurt they just put it on the side and told me not to eat it if I don't want too...

Pros: Nice food, Fare value

Cons: not too much english spoken, simple and somewhat boaring food

Great Value - Edit

Best value vegetarian meal in Prague. We always stick to the small or large menu options with samosas on the side. If they have samosas, snatch them up! The fig chutney is delicious. The food is actually spicy, which is hard to come by in Europe, especially in the CR. Good selection of Kombucha, juices, and KOFOLA!

Pros: Price, Service, Atmosphere

Cons: Busy at times

cold food - Edit

Had the thali plate, ok I have to say it wasn't that spicy but, that in itself isn't a problem.
The curries were actually pretty cold - and placed on to a cold metal thai plate. The food was freezing in minutes - ended up with indegestion just trying to eat it before it got cold! Shame, as it could have been good.

Pros: cheap food, quick service

Cons: cold food, few choices, difficult to find

April 2007 - Edit

Ate lunch at Beas this past weekend, the food was very nice, had a large thali plate. Agreed, maybe could have been spicier, but still very very nice. The restaurant itself is more of a cafeteria, a little like the now defunct basement place on Hanway Street/Place in London (remember that place? that was nice). The lassi was excellent, the thali itself was fresh and all homemade. I would go back for lunch again, no qualms.

Pros: cost, friendly staff, food

really enjoyed this place! - Edit

i found this place to be tasty, good value and a nice change from all the usual veggie places in prague. No, it was not REALLY spicy but I'm sure that the people moaning about it below would moan if it was too spicy also. Good for a bit of variety!

Pros: Nice food, quick service

Cons: bit busy

Return to Prague Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Dhaba Beas - Tynska closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 8877 times since Aug 2007.