Devraj Coffee Corner and German Bakery

Contact 0135-2442089

Laxman Jhula village (at one end of the bridge/look for large sign), Rishikesh, India, 249-192

Menu consists of vegetarian Indian and international food and baked goods. English menu. Made-to-order foods take time. Moderate to expensive prices by local standard but affordable for foreigners. Located on the main part of town just by the bridge with a nice view of river. Frequented by travelers.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, International

First Review by eric

Good Food and Friendly Staff - Edit

I have enjoyed many meals at this River View restaurant above the Laxman Jhulla (bridge). When in India food safety is a concern for everyone. It is usually good practice to eat cooked food, but at this place I have enjoyed more than a few salads without any problems. I find the staff friendly and very helpful. During the busy hours it can, on occasion, take extra time to get your meal, and it may be wise to check to see if your order got lost in the shuffle. But believe me, those guys are working hard to get your order to you as quick as possible. Take a breath and enjoy the view. The bakery is very good. Everything is fresh and for the most part was prepared that morning. The bakers used to start at 4am. I don't know if that is still the case... the 4am part... but they are up early baking in a wood fired oven. I give it a Very Good rating for international food available in India.

River View Location - Edit

On a past trip to India, I stayed at a hotel very near to this restaurant. It's a popular place with the foreigners due to its central river view location and western style food availability.

The service can be slow, and the cooked food tastes average. However, the cookies and cakes from the bakery case are yummy. I didn't like the smell of the dumpster next to the restaurant, so I didn't eat there often.

Pros: nice view, baked goods

Everything you want to eat - almost - Edit

I've been coming to this one for a long time, along with many of the tourists to Laxman Jhula. It's known to be one of the safer places to eat in this area and so far this year I haven't gotten sick (I'm sensitive and have been real sick in India in the past). However, like most kitchens around it leaves me wanting to back in the West. There have been swarms of flies around too, which give the impression that things aren't so clean. The portions this year seem to be getting smaller and the prices slightly higher. They are a nice bunch of Nepali guys running the place although service can be real slow- they are always busy.
Best of all about this place is the great view of the activity on the bridge & ganga..

Updated from previous review on 2006-02-27

Pros: View, Variety of dishes, Nice Staff

Cons: Flies, Cleanliness, Slow Service

Return to Rishikesh Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Devraj Coffee Corner and German Bakery closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 1662 times since Aug 2007.