DevaDeva Cafe

• Vegetarian
Contact 04-22216220

2-14-7 2F, Kichijoji-Honcho, Musashino-Shi, Tokyo, Japan, 180-0004

A comfortable vegetarian cafe serving pizza, curry and rice, sandwich, salad, veggie burger, caffeine-free drinks, juices, non-alcoholic cocktails, eggless baking, and other sweets. Also a shop.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, International, Macrobiotic, Organic

First Review by KelseyApple

A Great Vegan Spot in Kichijoji! - Edit

My wife and I have been going here for years and have never been disappointed. Several great options to choose from, including seasonally featured dishes. Portions may be a bit on the small side by western standards but who really needs that much food in one sitting?

Pros: Great food., Nice vibe., Friendly staff.

Cons: A little difficult to find if you don't use a maps

A bit bland.. - Edit

I had heard and seen pictures of people always talking about DevaDeva cafe, so when I had the opportunity to come I was excited, but that excitement left me all at once as soon as I took my first bite of my burger. I came for lunch with my partner and ordered the katsu burger (the katsu is a piece of kouya (freeze dried) tofu breaded with panko) and my partner had the curry and a salad as a side dish. Service was a little slow, actually our order was taken a little later than some people who had arrived after us, that wasn't much fun. After finally getting our order placed the food took a little long to make in my opinion. The burger looked good, and the potato wedges it came with were nice, but when I took a bite of the burger I felt a little like "huh?" as there was just no taste! I wondered if I had just taken a bite of bread only, but nope...just no flavour. I don't know why it was, but everything together just tasted of nothing. I understand that Japanese cooking tends to not have strong flavour, but this was way beyond that. My partner then had her curry, and same thing...no flavour, no depth, just some heat from the spice and that was about it.

The pastries and deserts looked good on the way out but I didn't want to bother with those after experiencing the lack of taste from the main course. Apparently according to my partner they don't use strong flavours in their food like garlic onion etc, not for buddhist reasons but for yogi reasons (which I'm not at all familiar with). But what you're left with is a pretty bland dish.

That said they seemed to be pretty busy, so I guess that's good..

Nevertheless I don't think I would come back here again I'm afraid. It's not cheap, either.

Pros: Vegan food in tokyo

Cons: Expensive, Bland, Slow

Not worth the trip - Edit

Was very excited to find that they had pizza, but when I ordered it was super thin, not a lot of vegan cheese on and didnt taste so much, the vegan milkshake was lot better but was hard to enjoy it when the main course wasnt that good.

Pros: The milkshake I had, Friendly staff

Cons: The pizza, Hard to find

not so good - Edit

Kind and helpful staff but the food was not so good, certainly in comparison with the few vegan restaurants I've tried in Tokyo. I've orderd the curry rice and it was a bit tasteless, I also had a tomato soup as side dish, this one was better than the rest. My friend tried one of their burger...it looked not so yummy.
Even though, if they are still open next year when I go back in Tokyo I will try to eat there again.

Disappointing and Low Quality - Edit

Based on the various good reviews, my partner and I visited the place with high expectations. We both ordered the chicken yogi burger.

The burger looked appetizing but after the first bite we quickly noticed that the patty were slightly undercooked. The burger breading were soggy and slimy. The bun was ok, nothing special about it. The sauce was probably the only good thing about the burger.

It was a small burger with a small portion of potato wedges. And was served on a massive plate which made the whole dish look sad and empty. Additionally you have to pay extra to get ketchup in your burger. Condiments are normally free of charge in other restaurants.

Overall, this is not a placed I'd go back.

Pros: friendly staff

Cons: small portion , expensive , low quality food

Tokyo Veg Staple for Years! - Edit

I've been coming here since high school, and was thrilled to find that they are still in business on my latest trip back. The Deva Deva burgers are as good as ever, and I'm also a sucker for their soups and desserts. Only a few of their items are non-vegan (i.e. include cheese), and they can modify to make those items vegan, too.

Tasty vegan burgers! - Edit

This restaurant is definitely worth visiting. Most of the menu is vegan and most important all the cakes are also vegan. I ordered the Yogi Burger and is tasted just like chicken! For dessert I ordered two pieces of cake, very small, but delicious. The restaurant itself is also very nice and cosy.
Someone wrote here that it is difficult to find. I guess it must have changed since then because I didn't have any problems finding it since there were many signs (you have to go up a flight of stairs).

Pros: Very tasty

Cons: A bit expensive

Great veggie food in popular Kichijoji - Edit

Living locally I visit devadeva fairly regularly. I am a big fan of their Yogi Burgers (although perhaps not so much the bun) and like that you can choose between potato wedges and salad (or have both) to accompany it. They overhauled their menu in 2012 and several of the different burger options unfortunately vanished but this has pushed me to explore more of their other offerings!

Although slightly pricy at 1600 yen the Deli plate is a good option if you're not in the mood for a burger - you get 2 different dishes that change daily, salad, soup and a variety of breads that will be replenished upon request.

They have a good range of veg/vegan cakes and tarts etc that change regularly, and also offer a small selection of organic/vegetarian cooking supplies and snacks.

If you are in the area (the Ghibli museum is a 20-minute walk away) definitely drop in for lunch!
Updated from previous review on Thursday January 03, 2013

Update - August 2014

Visited for the first time in a few months, and saw that the menu has been revamped since we last visited. Now you can choose between the original veggie burger or a faux-chicken burger and select your toppings. Also on the menu is a "Tofish" burger with tartare sauce which I went for. It was fine, did taste vaguely fishy but overall lacked in flavour and was a bit lost in all the sauce that was on the bun (the bun has changed, far prefer this new one!) Not sure I would order it again. The burgers now all come with chips as standard and you can add salad or soup for 200 extra.

The deli menu option has also changed slightly, the offerings no longer change daily but there are more to choose from than before.

Pros: Delicious burgers, Relaxed atmosphere

Cons: A bit out the way, Slightly expensive if you add drinks/desserts

Not fussed - Edit

Not sure why this place has so many raving reviews. We'd had it on our 'must visit' list for ages but never seem to get out Kichijoji way, so one day we decided to make a special visit. Turns out it wasn't really worth the trip.

We ordered burgers because they appeared to be the specialty. Maybe we've been spoiled from having traveled around America sampling all their great burgers, but these were small and not all that great... the teriyaki burger was close to inedible, so I took a few bites and left it (flavours were way too strong). Heavy on fake meats too.

We got there about 30min before closing time (which is still quite early) and the staff made us feel very hurried - they clearly didn't want to hang around to allow us to enjoy our meal as we would have liked - it seems you're supposed to finished eating by closing time so service was very minimal and rushed.

We sampled some of the desserts and they were ok but nothing out of this world. The drink menu failed to inspire.

This is definitely a place that would be useful to have close by for those odd junk food cravings but we won't be going out of our way to get there again, it's not a destination spot. Given all the healthier Japanese options in Tokyo you're much better off eating local macrobiotic food.

Pros: western food menu for those cravings..., desserts/cookies/muffins were nice

Cons: portions are small, service pretty average, taste profiles are lacking

fantastic place, wish we'd come again! - Edit

If only it wasn't in kichijoji (a long way from where we were staying in Tokyo)we would have visited many more times. Absoultely loved this place, menu was great and loads of yummy looking cakes we couldn't choose between. peaceful atmosphere with cool music. really nice.

excellent vegan organic food, and wonderful cakes - Edit

Lacto-vegetarian restaurant, they offer a lot of vegan options, all tasty and very good. They offer vegan pizza, bean and vegetable curries, and a good selection of veggie burgers. It is also possible to have vegan birthday cake upon reservation (allow 10 days). I had a tofu tonkatsu (divine!) with vegan cream, mixed leaves and a selection of German bread rolls. As a dessert, a wonderful banana-chocolate tofucake, one of the best I've ever had. Definitely worth trying. They also have a selection of organic snacks and products made in Europe (Germany and Italy), that the owner personally selects during her trips to Europe.

Pros: very friendly staff, excellent food

Cons: not so easy to find

Vegan Birthday Cake - Edit

DevaDeva Cafe makes vegan birthday cakes to order (place your order 10 days in advance). The trip to get this cake was a great adventure. I had to take several trains waaaay on what seemed like the outskirts of Tokyo and then go on a hunt for this cafe. Street signs in Japan are not marked well (or at all sometimes). After wandering around for almost three hours on many side streets, I found this place. It was on the second level. Of course. I wasn't looking up for a sign; I was looking at the ground level. I remember I took a Starbucks break in this long hunt and ended up having an early dinner at DevaDeva because it just took so long to find! The cafe had quite a menu and they sold little snack foods (pre-packaged and baked goods they made) at the cash register.

For a complete review, please see my blog here: http://veganmiss.blogspot.com/2010/11/vegan-tokyo.html

Absolutely Delicious! - Edit

I am thrilled that I had the opportunity to eat here during my recent visit to Japan. The food and service were fabulous! The menu is in Japanese and English, and English is spoken, which made things a bit easier for me.
I ate here with my family two days in a row.
The first day we had a vegan pizza topped with "cheese", tomatoes, corn, and potato, and an avocado yogi burger with French fries. The next day we ordered the avocado Yogi burger with fries and salad, the Yogi ginger "pork" burger with the fries and salad set, vegetable pizza, and the vegetable curry. All were quite tasty.
After our meal, we tried their caffeine-free herbal coffee, which was also quite good.

Pros: Tasty food, Excellent customer service, They understand what \

Cons: closed Thursdays

What a tease! - Edit

Man oh man,
When I first read about this veg restaurant in Kichijoji, I was really excited to try it because I work around there. The first time, it was pretty hard to find cos the streets are all small and the numbers are scattered. Once I found it, I started thinking of biting into a yummy veggie burger but when I got up the stairs it was CLOSED! They are closed Thursdays which I missed. So, went again a few days later with my boyfriend(who does eat mean) but we both loved the yogi burger. For a starter we had the "snobby salad" which was good but a little pricey (650yen)compared to the other prices. I ordered the mozzerella burger which to my amazement and delight, had real buffalo mozzerella (bocconcini) which is quite expensive in Japan and still the price was just 950! Burgers were quite big and really yummy. The side of fries I found too dry but my bf liked them (he's English so I guess he's likes all fries that are fresh cut). So, went back again on Tuesday around 7pm and guess what? It was CLOSED! Why???!!! It's such a tease!!! I don't know why but maybe it's cos it was after a national holiday? In any case, I wouldn't normally go back to a place that closed whenever they felt like it, but the food was so good, I am almost ashamed to say that I will!! over and over until I try everything on the menu. The place is really cute and feels comfortable. The waitresses know when to come to the table and also when to leave you alone. I love this place.

Pros: Great food , Good value for mains, Nice atmosphere

Cons: Seems to always be closed, Dessert selection limited, Pricey salads and drinks

Wonderful! - Edit

Went there for a birthday dinner and they really made it special! I did not find the portions to be small at all - I ordered a burger, and it was generous and filling and came with a nice side of fries for less than 1000y. The vegan birthday cake was wonderful and had fake whipped cream that fooled me. The staff was super attentive and friendly.

Pros: Great food, Nice atmosphere, Super staff

Cozy vegetarian place - Edit

A cozy restaurant in Kichijoji serving western vegetarian/vegan food. The curry and tofu cutlet are quite tasty. They also sell a handy pocket guide to Vegan Restaurants in Japan, which I have found immensely helpful. Portions are just enough to fill you up, without leaving any leftovers.

Pros: nice staff, cozy atmosphere, tasty food

Cons: western food not Japanese

wonderful - Edit

had a delightful evening at this great cafe/restaurant. i had the veggie burger, and it was yummy!

Honto? - Edit

I am surprised to read such good reviews for this restaurant. I found the portions tiny and prices steep (1200 yen for a small slab of burg with 5 string beans and about 3 Tablespoons of salad). The taste was also bland and not very good. The service was unsatisfactory and the server I had (although a gaikokujin) definitely was not fluent in English. Luckily I went with a Japanese friend who could translate for me. While I was there I did see other people who had ordered the curry dishes and they seemed to be much bigger portions and smelled much better than what I had. And they did tell us where the closest health food store was. Overall, I was not impressed and would never recommend this cafe to anyone.

Pros: health foods sold here, helpful staff

Cons: expensive, tiny portions, service slow

Return to Tokyo Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has DevaDeva Cafe closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 5243 times since Aug 2007.