Depot Tavern

Contact 612-338-1828

17 N 7th St (at N 1st Ave ), Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA, 55403

Serves meat, vegan options available. Has an eclectic menu. Vegan options include Spuds A Full Pound, Onion Rings Thick-Cut with Curry Ketchup, Mock Duck Tacos w/Pico de Gallo, Avocado, V.B.L.T. Tempeh Bacon, L/T Egg-Free Mayo and many more. Build your own burger option also. Open Mon-Sun 12:00am-2:00am, Mon-Sun 11:00am-12:00am.

Category: Vegan-friendly, American, International, Mexican, Non-veg

First Review by dannybill

Pretty damned good - Edit

Went out looking for vegan bar/pub grub, and found it. Ended up getting the falafel burger with some tots. Read a review here that said something to the effect of, "it can't be REALLY vegan - they fry it in the same oil as everything else!"

...I live in a place that you're lucky to have options that you can count on more than one hand, that don't involve salad and fries as an entree. So, I'm not going to complain when I find some place that's at least trying to make something vegan. I realize my opinion isn't the most popular, but I'm of the mind that, if you punish an establishment for trying, then said establishment might quit trying. Anyway, on to the food...

They replaced the yogurt sauce with their house vegan mayo, which was pretty tasty. Love the fact that they gave me a huge dill spear with my burger. The tots were hot, crispy, and perfectly salted. Burger was well-seasoned, stuck together reasonably well, wasn't overly greasy, had good texture....was just good. Good produce topping it off on some sourdough bread, since their buns contain honey.

Kinda wish I'd ordered the mock duck tacos, just to check them out, but really not at all displeased with my selection. Beer selection was excellent. Staff were pretty damned good, considering they were reasonably busy. Had a pint and a burger, nice conversation with the locals, and moved on within an hour or so. This is an experience I'd repeat, if only to try those tacos :)

Pros: Good pub grub and beer selection, Great staff, Nice to see a place try to offer veg options

Cons: Nada

UPDATE on last review - Edit

The egg-free mayo on the menu is notated as "(contains honey)", and the onion rings are listed as vegetarian, not vegan.

They also offer a few totally vegan soups and salads, sides, and vegan tacos.

BEWARE!! I wish I could give 0 stars!!! - Edit

I dined at this restaurant on Friday, August 8, 2014. I asked if the vegan falafel burger had any animal derived ingredients in the burger or sauces; and was told that "the ingredients are vegan, but they are fried in the same oil as the meat items on the menu." The "vegan mayo" has honey in it; and this fact is mentioned in only about 50% of places that "vegan mayo" is noted on the menu. I asked about the potato tots, russet potato fries and sweet potato fries (all marked vegan) and they are ALL fried in that common vat of oil used to fry meat items on the menu!!! How dare they call these items vegan???!!!

Pros: The tomato basil soup is actually vegan. the "faux

Cons: The menu is FALSE ADVERTISING , inconsistent and i

Return to Minneapolis Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Depot Tavern closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.