Departure Restaurant and Lounge

• ( 17 reviews )

525 SW Morrison St (at downtown), Portland, Oregon, USA, 97204

Serves meat, vegan options available. Rooftop restaurant on the 15th floor of the Nines Hotel in downtown Portand. Regular menu is all fish and meat but also offers a separate vegan menu with veggie sushi, wok stir frys, and salads. Open Wed-Sun 4:00pm-11:00pm.

Categories: Vegan-friendly, Chinese, Japanese, Pan Asian, Non-veg

First Review by J.Cow

Cobaltblur

Points +74

13 Jun 2021

Gourmet and Fancy

Wonderful flavor combinations. Tasty vegan options. Very friendly service with beautiful views.

I highly recommend the Mahogany Noodles with Tofu. And the Chocolate Moose with marshmallow cream is to die for! Also love the cocktails.

Pros: Yummy flavor combos, Separate vegan

sandykaren

Points +251

09 Mar 2020

Disappointing

I had been here years ago and thought it was great. But this time the food was so salty I literally could not eat it. It’s such a disappointment when non-vegan restaurants think they have to add a [censored] ton of salt to add flavor instead of letting the ingredients shine.

Pros: Cool space

Cons: Relies too heavily on salt

thetalkstops

Points +64

30 Jul 2019

AMAZING

I was amazed at the high quality creative vegan menu here! Not to mention the rooftop views, great service, and staff knowledgeable about dietary restrictions.

Pros: Separate vegan menu, Great views, Fancy date spot

Cons: On the pricy side

DianeH

Points +667

13 Jul 2019

Excellent

I ate here during Portland’s dining out month. The vegan option was divine! Not only that, the ambience was very classy and the service was impeccable. It was an excellent place to meet with my colleagues who had just arrived from out of state.

Igiveitupfortofu

Points +45

04 May 2019

An Amazing Meal

Many vegan options and the entire restaurant is gluten free. Thought it would be overpriced and overrated, and while it wasn’t cheap, the food, cocktails and atmosphere were amazing.

Pros: Excellent Food, Unique Environment , Great Service

Cons:

pangaea

Points +20

21 Oct 2018

Food Out of this World Great!

We ordered from the bar menu. The roasted carrot dish on a bed of cashew cream had a unique smoky flavor I've been craving to habe shun. The beet salad was absolutely perfect. We had vegan sushi rolls with Portobello, Asian pear and butternut squash that were wonderful! They made sure everything was vegan, so be sure to ask for their help with that. Lots of Asian sauces use fish sauce, but they have a vegan version. Super accommodating! All of the food was really wonderful and unique and the atmosphere, and view are so enjoyable. One of my favorite places for an upscale experience.

Pros: Lots of vegan options, Actual vegan menu , Very willing to make vegetarian options vegan

Avatar Elinaya

Elinaya

Points +330

21 Sep 2018

Amazing chili tofu

My friend brought me here for my birthday and I have got to say I was really impressed. It was unfortunate that when we got there were could not go outside on the balcony as it was closed due to weather but it was still nice. Definitely a great place for a dinner date or treating yourself out. They have a separate vegan menu, just be sure to ask for it. I had the chili tofu and it was amazing! I had left overs and it was just as amazing, the walnuts really brought the dish together.

Awake1234

Points +694

02 May 2018

Roof top Asian Vegan

Get the Bibimbap! It’s vegan and veryyy goood. Add a side of tofu.

Pros: Dedicated vegan and gluten free menus.

Cons: Dress nice.

AndrewTasi

Points +46

01 Jun 2017

A treat for the senses

My girlfriend and I came to celebrate our two year anniversary, and we could not have been more pleased.

The views from the rooftop restaurant were inspiring. The selection of whiskeys, scotches, and gins, was terrific.

The vegan menu really had a lot of inventive and delightful dishes. We would recommend everything that we had tonight, including the power greens salad, greens and seeds roll, bibimap, and the salt and pepper tempeh.

We topped it all off with a vegan carrot sorbet that was outstanding. We plan to return to Departure the next time we travel to Portland.

Pros: Wonderful Food, Great Views, Stellar Decor

Cons: Expensive

veggiewoman

Points +362

13 Mar 2017

Great date night!

Went here with my (non-vegan) husband and loved waiting for our table on the heated patio, which has great views of the city. Restaurant has a very funky atmosphere.

Thrilled that there was a separate vegan menu. I really enjoyed the tempeh buns. Sushi and noodles were good.

This place is not cheap, but not unreasonable for upscale dining.

Pros: Great atmosphere, Some inventive items, High quality food

Plant Powered Eater

Points +353

14 Jul 2016

Incredibly Fun, Skyline Bar with Lots of Vegan Options

Departure serves mostly Tapas & is rather pricy, but what a fun & delicious evening... On lots of fronts. The atmosphere is impressive...we felt a bit like we were departing Earth, boarding a spaceship. The servers were clearly hired for attractiveness & several had noteworthy hairstyles that prompted conversations amongst our party. The other guests also made interesting people-watching.

Although it may be common to have a vegan menu here in Portland, in our Southern hometown, we struggle to cobble together a vegan mean from most restaurants meat-based menus. Departure supplied a complete vegan menu with a host of choices. It also worked well for our group, which was a mixture of vegans & dedicated meat eaters...lots of choices for all.

Everything we tried was delicious! We had a charred asparagus salad, tempeh BBQ steamed buns, a broccoli dish w/ lime, some kind of noodle dish w/ vegetables, & a fab dessert, a coconut granita w/ mango. Most of the dessert offerings were vegan, another fun change from the token sorbet offered at many restaurants. On the omnivore front, our son reported that his fish dish was great, making this dinner a success for all the different food preferences we try to accommodate on family trips. (This is an all-adult family--I would not recommend Departure for children.)

This restaurant/bar is on/near top of a high rise, offering great scenery, as well. We all wished we had time for a repeat visit! One final note: consider advance reservations!

Whitsnake

Points +46

27 May 2016

definitely check this place out.

The menu is a little bit pricey, but it's upscale bar dining, I had the Brussels sprouts, green beans, and cauliflower curry. I also tried the BBQ Tempeh steam bun!

trese80

Points +24

08 Mar 2016

Truly wonderful!

I've eaten here several times and I've never been disappointed. Ask your server for the vegan menu and order whatever you like, because you can't go wrong. My favorites are the Brussels sprouts and the shiitake rolls. The food is served tapas style, so if it's two of you, I'd recommend starting off with three items and going from there. The vegan desserts are fantastic as well. I would have given this place five stars, but Happy Cow wouldn't let me because they also serve meat. Head chef, Gregory, is vegan.

Pros: tapas, vegan menu, vegan dessert

katypine

Points +289

13 Aug 2015

Pretty Views and Pretty People

This restaurant/bar is usually packed with beautiful people, so make reservations if you want to sit and eat. The ambiance us more bar/lounge than restaurant, so there is loud music and people taking and milling around. It doesn't bother me, but don't expect a quiet, intimate dining experience. The patios are great, and good for a visit every time. I love to go for a late-night treat. Some of the best vegan desserts in town (most of the desserts are vegan, but ask your server for specifics because it's not so clear from the menu) ... Definitely try the banana split!

Pros: Amazing vegan deserts, fancy people watching, stun

Cons: Sometimes busy/long wait

Popster

Points +92

08 Jun 2015

Splendid! Full vegan menu!

What a wonderful meal with a breathtaking view! There is s full, separate vegan menu. The Brussels sprouts, shiitake roll, bibimbap, Korean rolls and chili tofu were fabulous! Everything is served tapas style, so plan to order 2 dishes per person. One of the best meals I've had! Definitely request a patio table.

tiderisestidefalls

Points +30

18 Jul 2014

Fancy and Beautiful Views:

Tell the people working at the Departure that you are vegan and they will give you a menu: half the menu is vegan & the other half of the menu is gluten free omnivorous options. The person who was taking care of us recommend that we get at least three items at the Departure, all of which were delicious and filling. We lingered afterwards to feel the breeze and catch the views. I would recommend only going with vegan friends because the items can look similar. It was difficult to hear the people serving us with the music blasting. We felt disconcerted by the serving style.

Pros: Yummy food, A variety of vegan options

Cons: The loud music, The service was not very good

J.Cow

Points +44

27 Dec 2013

Great Asian fusion vegan meal in a hip spot

We had a birthday dinner at Departure during a stay in Portland over the summer. The location atop the roof affords a great view, and the modern decor and trendy vibe were fun. Although the Departure regular menu is full of meaty Asian Fusion fare, they have a special Vegan Menu (ask for it when the hostess seats you) full of creative and amazing tasting food. The menu changes seasonally, but we ordered 6 or 7 random dishes and each one was delicious! All the ingredients are very fresh and the combinations are creative and beautifully presented. They also have a great drink menu. Great place for a special celebration or date.

Pros: Excellent Food, Great View, Friendly Staff

Cons: Not soley vegan

Return to Portland Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Departure Restaurant and Lounge closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.