Departure Restaurant and Lounge

Contact 503-802-5370

525 SW Morrison St (at downtown), Portland, Oregon, USA, 97204

Serves meat, vegan options available. Rooftop restaurant on the 15th floor of the Nines Hotel in downtown Portand. Regular menu is all fish and meat but also offers a separate vegan menu with veggie sushi, wok stir frys, and salads. Mon-Thu 4:00pm-12:00am, Sun 4:00pm-12:00am, Fri-Sat 4:00pm-1:00am

Category: Vegan-friendly, Chinese, Japanese, Pan Asian, Non-veg

First Review by J.Cow

Incredibly Fun, Skyline Bar with Lots of Vegan Options - Edit

Departure serves mostly Tapas & is rather pricy, but what a fun & delicious evening... On lots of fronts. The atmosphere is impressive...we felt a bit like we were departing Earth, boarding a spaceship. The servers were clearly hired for attractiveness & several had noteworthy hairstyles that prompted conversations amongst our party. The other guests also made interesting people-watching.

Although it may be common to have a vegan menu here in Portland, in our Southern hometown, we struggle to cobble together a vegan mean from most restaurants meat-based menus. Departure supplied a complete vegan menu with a host of choices. It also worked well for our group, which was a mixture of vegans & dedicated meat eaters...lots of choices for all.

Everything we tried was delicious! We had a charred asparagus salad, tempeh BBQ steamed buns, a broccoli dish w/ lime, some kind of noodle dish w/ vegetables, & a fab dessert, a coconut granita w/ mango. Most of the dessert offerings were vegan, another fun change from the token sorbet offered at many restaurants. On the omnivore front, our son reported that his fish dish was great, making this dinner a success for all the different food preferences we try to accommodate on family trips. (This is an all-adult family--I would not recommend Departure for children.)

This restaurant/bar is on/near top of a high rise, offering great scenery, as well. We all wished we had time for a repeat visit! One final note: consider advance reservations!

Truly wonderful! - Edit

I've eaten here several times and I've never been disappointed. Ask your server for the vegan menu and order whatever you like, because you can't go wrong. My favorites are the Brussels sprouts and the shiitake rolls. The food is served tapas style, so if it's two of you, I'd recommend starting off with three items and going from there. The vegan desserts are fantastic as well. I would have given this place five stars, but Happy Cow wouldn't let me because they also serve meat. Head chef, Gregory, is vegan.

Pros: tapas, vegan menu, vegan dessert

Pretty Views and Pretty People - Edit

This restaurant/bar is usually packed with beautiful people, so make reservations if you want to sit and eat. The ambiance us more bar/lounge than restaurant, so there is loud music and people taking and milling around. It doesn't bother me, but don't expect a quiet, intimate dining experience. The patios are great, and good for a visit every time. I love to go for a late-night treat. Some of the best vegan desserts in town (most of the desserts are vegan, but ask your server for specifics because it's not so clear from the menu) ... Definitely try the banana split!

Pros: Amazing vegan deserts, fancy people watching, stun

Cons: Sometimes busy/long wait

Splendid! Full vegan menu! - Edit

What a wonderful meal with a breathtaking view! There is s full, separate vegan menu. The Brussels sprouts, shiitake roll, bibimbap, Korean rolls and chili tofu were fabulous! Everything is served tapas style, so plan to order 2 dishes per person. One of the best meals I've had! Definitely request a patio table.

Fancy and Beautiful Views: - Edit

Tell the people working at the Departure that you are vegan and they will give you a menu: half the menu is vegan & the other half of the menu is gluten free omnivorous options. The person who was taking care of us recommend that we get at least three items at the Departure, all of which were delicious and filling. We lingered afterwards to feel the breeze and catch the views. I would recommend only going with vegan friends because the items can look similar. It was difficult to hear the people serving us with the music blasting. We felt disconcerted by the serving style.

Pros: Yummy food, A variety of vegan options

Cons: The loud music, The service was not very good

Great Asian fusion vegan meal in a hip spot - Edit

We had a birthday dinner at Departure during a stay in Portland over the summer. The location atop the roof affords a great view, and the modern decor and trendy vibe were fun. Although the Departure regular menu is full of meaty Asian Fusion fare, they have a special Vegan Menu (ask for it when the hostess seats you) full of creative and amazing tasting food. The menu changes seasonally, but we ordered 6 or 7 random dishes and each one was delicious! All the ingredients are very fresh and the combinations are creative and beautifully presented. They also have a great drink menu. Great place for a special celebration or date.

Pros: Excellent Food, Great View, Friendly Staff

Cons: Not soley vegan

Return to Portland Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Departure Restaurant and Lounge closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 2111 times since Aug 2013.