Den Teepot

02-5119402

Rue des Chartreux 66, Brussels, Belgium,

A veggie natuurwinkel. Vegan daily menu plus sides and a soup of the day. Vegan and vegetarian deserts. Shop downstairs from the restaurant sells some vegan-friendly foods and health foods. Open Mon-Sat 12:00pm-2:00pm.

Category: Ovo, International, Japanese, Macrobiotic

First Review by scallymuffin

Tasty and healthy lunch - Edit

After several days of too many chips because Belgium isn't the most vegan friendly country a lunch here is exactly what my body needed. I had the dish of the day which was a variety of very tasty vegetables and brown rice with a millet burger which was just so flavourful. On the tables is soy sauce and ground up peanuts instead of salt and that really enhanced it. I recommend this place for a welcome break to the chips and beer. Only down side was trying and failing to explain macrobiotic to my partner.

Not completely vegan and the food didn't impress me... - Edit

I really wanted to like this restaurant but nothing besides their music was ok for me. They aren't completely vegan, almost all of their dessert had eggs in it, the food was not that good(some of it was even tasteless and some had a strong and unnatural taste) They seemed to care more about the fact that it was organic than vegan(they said it's fine that dessert had eggs because everything is organic).

Updated from previous review on 2017-02-04

Pros: Music

Cons: The entrance is not visible and it's easy to miss., Not completely vegan., Food not that tasty

3 Responses

Ludo24 19 Mar 2017 - Yeah, you can talk, with your pale anemia... The products of this restaurant are all of the finest quality and the eggs come from a farm that the owner knows personally. Chicken lay eggs. You may as well eat them or throw them to the garbage, which is a waste and disrespectful of the abundance. Some people dedicate themselves to being vegan without even knowing why. Eating the egg of a happy chicken causes no moral issues.
You should probably eat an egg or two for your anemia.

AnaGabriela 20 Mar 2017 - I'll suppose you are the owner since normal people don't check on friend's pages on HappyCow to defend their business. Thanks for reminding me to change the pic I had since I was vegetarian and ate eggs to this when I am all vegan. Very nice of you to pick on how your clients look. I didn't want to say this publicly, but I did send a message to HappyCow​ when I first wrote the review: in this restaurant I asked for an ALL VEGAN menu and I was given something that looked very much like it had eggs in it. I asked if it's true, they said no eggs, but I didn't touch it and I'm glad I didn't now that I know of your restaurant's love for chicken menstruation. I'll have you know that sanctuaries let the chicken eat the eggs and don't take them for themselves since the chickens lose many minerals laying it and this way they can recover faster. This is the humane thing to do, not selling the eggs to clients.

beam 14 Apr 2017 - A few years ago I used to go to den teapot frequently.
The meals were always very authentic.
The mains were cooked according to macrobiotic principles from organic sources and of course vegan.

I do not remember if the deserts were too, I was vegetarian at the time and paid less attention.

I haven't been there in a while and if it's open this weekend will go and visit.

Thank you AnaGabriela for your review, I will check on the eggs.
If it's vegan it's vegan, eggs from any source are not vegan.

Ludo24: keep your personal attacks to yourself. They do not belong on happy cow.

Lunchdate - Edit

Perfectly located behind the rue dansaert is this little place above on organic health food store serving really nice lunches. Each time the daily meal is a feast. Mouthwatering dishes that my family enjoys on a day out on the town.

Pros: Macrobiotic, Fresh made, Great flavours

Cons: Not open for diner!, Little hidden above the store

Reasonable lunch in Brussels - Edit

Vegan cafes seem sparse in Brussels and despite it's very limited opening hours it's worth visiting Den Teepot for lunch. It basically serves a soup and plate of the day with a few side options and tart. The food doesn't look the most glamorous but it was all tasty and wholesome. We went back on our second day as we felt it was a 'reliable' choice.

Pros: All vegan, Changing mixed plate of the day, Friendly service

Cons: Limited opening hours, Limited choice, A little pricey

Just try it! - Edit

Very good food, and such a nice place to shop!

Pros: Good food, Good value for money, Nice place

Cons: Could open as well in the evenings and Sundays!

I Went Hungry Den Left Full - Edit

My companion and I went to this little spot up above an organic store back in 2014. Maybe my review is null and void now, cause it's well overdue, but man, it's time to finish some of my to-do list things (such as review some darn good restaurants). This place was an oasis back in 2014. Great atmosphere and seemed super clean. It was super duper cozy, and all vegan at the time (now I am reading it is not). The food was excellent standard macrobiotic fare. The woman working there at the time and I had a slight language barrier, but with a few hand gestures and positive facial expressions all was figured out. We didn't realize that once you load your plate up with food you have to put it on a scale to weigh it...as that's how they determined the price. Not sure if this is still the drill. The prices were pretty good as I remember. The food was delicious. My eyes were bigger than my stomach because I had a bit left over, but I packed it up and all was well in the world. I'd visit it again...just to see how it has changed. Not too keen on vegan places adding non-vegan items to their menu though. That's such a disappointment in life, yo.

Pros: Macrobiotic, All vegan in 2014

Cons: Hear it may not be all vegan now (2016)

sad - Edit

I've been there several times since it used to be the only vegan place in Brussels (and well it's no longer vegan).
The place has improved lately, they changed formula and staff.
The food is organic and healthy, but lacks of fantasy (and the portions are rather small).
Apart from that, the place is quiet and cosy. They have a few organic belgian beers.

Updated from previous review on Saturday November 24, 2012

Pros: organic ingredients, organic beers

Cons: small portions, unimaginative, poor opening times

Like home cooking - Edit

The staff is friendly, the food tastes good but nothing exceptional. The menu I had looked like I made it myself at home which is not bad.

Nice food and great store - Edit

It was nice to find a vegan restaurant in central Brussels. The food is tasty but price is way high for the size of the portion. Still a good option if you're looking for a vegan option for a coffee in the afternoon in that specific neighborhood.

The store in the first floor is really well stocked, they have a good quantity of vegan and healthy products.

Healthy indeed - Edit

The previous review describes the place very well in one word - "healthy". The buffet has only very limited options, and during my -so far- only visit of the place I found everything quite bland. However, it is possible to spice up the food with extra seaweed or soy sauce. The focus is clearly on "healthy" and "macrobiotic" and not too much on "delicious". Not on "vegan", either: everything from the buffet was vegan and this seemed to be the default, however, none of the three different cakes offered (coming from the organic shop on the ground floor) was vegan. Friendly staff.

I will probably come back on my next visit to Brussels, at least if I can make it within the only 2 hours they are open. But that is mainly due to a lack of alternatives.

Pros: healthy, mostly vegan, friendly staff

Cons: bland food, lack of variety

Healthy - Edit

Ingredients are fresh and organic, and everything is vegan which is great as I'm trying to eat mostly vegan. The staff was friendly.
Unfortunately it lacked taste, especially for my mate who is a "carnivore"and therefore is not used to eating vegan food. And the price system is strange : weight your food and pay it, which means usually a rather high bill.
I'd only recommend the place if you're looking for heath above all.

Pros: Healthy, Organic, Vegan

Cons: Quite expensive, Not so tasty

Good store, obscure restaurant - Edit

Nice store with good assortment of vegan things. The restaurant was so obscure and had inconvenient opening hours, so I never managed to visit it.

peaceful place - Edit

just recently they started to have buffets and you pay per weight of your food, which is better than when they have been a regular restaurant. there were 7 different dishes, a salad and a soup. food was excellent, fresh and tasty and it did taste the same.

Pros: many varieties of food, peaceful place, helpful staff

Cons: a bit costly, hard to find, more desert options needed

Cosy place - Edit

Good food, very healthy, I liked the calm atmosphere and the relaxed mood. Maybe a bit too relxed in the sense that we had to wait too long, but it's OK for a place that is clearly not intended to be a mass diner.

Pros: Atmosphere

Cons: service a bit slow

Highly Recommended - Edit

I believe this place has changed a little, it's still only open 12-2, but has become a pay by weight buffet. Also a couple of the deserts aren't vegan but the buffet fully is. The food in the buffet was interesting, a good mix of what I'd call Vegan Healthfood, I had sticky rice balls, a seitan steak, vegetables done in a nice sauce and a good salad. The meal wasn't cheap but worth the price, about 18 euros in all with a cup of tea. The lady on the till was really nice and helpful and spoke really good english after I inquired.

Pros: Great food

Cons: Not cheap, Note the opening hours

Friendly - Quality - Simple - Edit

I love to eat at Den Teepot!
It's a clean, genuine and friendly place.
The ingredients are always fresh and the staff is always friendly.

Pros: Good honest food, Good value

Decent vegan food for Brussels - Edit

I've been there twice so far. It's certainly not the greatest vegan food I've ever had. The ingedients are good and fresh but the food seriously lacks salt. For Brussels' standards it's fine though - you don't actually have that much choice as a vegan. I would go there again when I'm in Brussels.

Pros: vegan

Cons: food lacks salt

Vegan and good, but not perfect - Edit

My boyfriend and I were relieved about the fact that we found a vegan restaurant in Brussels because being vegan is not that easy in this city as a tourist who has no own kitchen(unless you always wanna eat Falafel and French Fries). The staff was friendly and the waiting time was really short. But we were disappointed when we learned about the opening hours (only from 12-2 in the noon from Mon. - Sat.). Furthermore, there is no big variety of food. There is actually always the same (rice and vegetables) and you can only add or leave out some stuff.

Pros: 100% vegan, friendly staff, no long waiting time

Cons: opening hours, No big variety

Return to Brussels Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Den Teepot closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.