CLOSED: Demuths

Contact +44-1225-446059

2 North Parade Passage (at Abbey Green), Bath, England, BA1 1NX

Small veggie restaurant serving breakfast, lunch, tea, cakes, and dinner. Has a children's menu. Non-smoking. AUG 2013 REPORTED OWNER SOLD, AND RESTAURANT BECAME ACORN VEGETARIAN.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, International, Beer/Wine

First Review by blondiecoco

Demuths has been sold - Edit

Demuths has been sold to two members of staff and has changed name to Acorn Vegetarian Kitchen.

Head chef, Richard is one of the new owners and so it will continue to deliver fresh, seasonal vegetarian dishes.

See press release here on local paper website:

Divine! - Edit

I've dined around the world and this is my absolute favourite for fine dining in the world. I only wish I could afford to go there more often! I'd also like to see more vegan options in the future!

Pros: creative dishes, gorgeous presentation, new flavours to discover!

Cons: expensive, book days in advance, small space

Excellent friendly service - Edit

I ate here at lunchtime, and had to wait 45 mins to get a table, as it was busy. But it was worth the wait. I had 2 courses for £12.50. Both were excellent and the staff went out of their way to be helpful.

Pros: Good value for lunchtime, Great staff, Central location

Cons: Can be busy

Good quality food and great menu! - Edit

My husband and I visited Demuths for dinner for a special occasion. The ambience was just right and the staff were very friendly.

The menu had a great range of high quality dishes with generous portions! Presentation was excellent.

Would definitely recommend!

A good place for a 'posh' meal - Edit

Having eaten at Demuths a few years ago, we detoured to go there again as we wanted something a bit different from the 'normal' vegan options we'd been eating on our trip. We weren't disappointed. Service was friendly and attentive without being overbearing. The food was fantastic - smoked potatoes were our highlight, and the chocolate ganache was out of this world. Worth a visit if you want a change - but be prepared to pay for it.

Pros: Friendly, attentive service, Classy food, A dining experience, not just a quick meal

Cons: A little pricey - but worth it

Excellent dining when in Bath. - Edit

We just spent a gorgeous week in Bath and ate at Demuths most days, very accomodating and the superb food was creative and delicious, well done we will be back soon.

Pros: Excellent food, Superb polite staff, Gorgeous surroundings

Best in Bath - Edit

A small vegetarian restaurant in Bath town centre, Demuths had lots of vegan options clearly marked on the menu. I ate there several times on a visit to Bath a while back and enjoyed every single dish. I bought the cookbook which is not fully vegan but has great recipes, including a delicious date cake.

Contributions +33

Delicious and great value for money - Edit

My husband and I had dinner here on the 11th May 2012 and thoroughly enjoyed ourselves.

As vegans, there were plenty of options on the menu.

We started with some bread followed by the pumpkin soup and mike's cauliflower (which is now vegan). The pumpkin soup was good but the cauliflower was the winner.

For our main course we had the king Edward ballotine and the purple sprouting broccoli. Both dishes were very tasty but the ballotine was incredible.

We finished up with the chocolate dessert and the pineapple dessert, both of which were good. Again, the pineapple was the best with an amazing vegan mascapone style 'cheese' on the side.

I had buckwheat tea with my dessert, which I'd never tried before and I really enjoys it.

The staff were friendly and helpful but it was busy so the service, although acceptable, could have been a little quicker.

There is a nice atmosphere, which the photos don't portray.

I will definitely eat here again if I am in Bath (we're based in London).

We felt that the food was excellent value for money - large portions of well presented, delicious mains for around £15 each.

Pros: Excellent food, Great value for money, Friendly staff

Extremely over priced - Edit

I have visited this restaurant twice now with my family, first time was ok though expensive second time was pretty disappointing to say the least, small portions and again very expensive and the food was not that great, in fact both my daughters left most of what was served to them which when you consider the cost of food here i was not best pleased. The staff are friendly enough but this does not compensate for what we thought was over priced disappointing food. Had the food been tasty then i may have been more excepting of the cost.
Expensive clearly doesn't mean great in this case and i would be interested to know how the owners can justify such a high price? My whole family are veges so to be able to visit a place that caters solely for veges is a pleasant change, however i doubt we will be bothering with Demuths again which is sad in a way because we like to support vege restaurants but not at any cost. My advice is look around Bath if you are vege as there are some great cafes and restaurants who offer some great vege options at a lot less cost.

Pros: friendly staff

Cons: very expensive, small portions, food not that great

Lovely lunch - Edit

I've been going to Demuth's (and Rachel Demuth's Vegetarian cookery school) for many years, but infrequently as I don't live that close to Bath. It did go through a phase a few years ago when I felt it wasn't as good as when Rachel was the Chef, but at my last visit it really was back on top form. My husband and I were meeting a friend who was a bit late and so we ordered a side dish of saute new potatoes to share, which was huge and yummy. So when our friend arrived, we decided to share a sandwich and then share a pud. The sandwich we chose was lush wholegrain toasted bread on mixed leaves with some kind of delicious spicy hummus with preserved lemon oil (mental note to get some of that!) and roasted squash slices. Purrrrfect. Pudding was a choc mousse (nice and dark and not too sweet) with a pink peppercorn tuile (whatever that is but it tasted good!). I would highly recommend this place - staff are charming and it is pricey but portions are large so you can share! Also would recommend Rachel Demuth's fantastic cookery books - available from her website if you google her name.

Pros: creative food, Hearty portions, Charming staff

Cons: A bit pricey, No biscuits for sale to go with coffee!

Fabulous meal - Edit

My husband and I had dinner at Demuths with a friend. We invited our friend at the last minute and the restaurant was more than happy to accommodate an extra person at our table. The food was excellent (lots of vegan options), and the service was friendly. The server was able to answer questions and was present without ever making us feel rushed or that he was hovering. We enjoyed a leisurely meal and would return if we find ourselves in Bath again.

Pros: excellent food, great service

Cons: pricey

Really tasty - Edit

This place is easy to find right near the touristy area in Bath. I had the soba cashew noodles for lunch and they were delicious (it was actually made with udon noodles). I had some sort of coconut cashew praline with berry sauce for dessert, which tasted like it was a raw dessert, which I'm not that fond of. But I had a side of swedish glace soy vanilla ice cream and that was delicious! Next time I would probably just go for the ice cream for dessert. It's a pleasant little place, which could only be improved by more vegan options.

Pros: Good quality food

Cons: Needs more vegan options

Caryne 13 Sep 2011 - I had the coconut praline dessert when I was there a few weeks ago and it was the most divine thing I have ever eaten in over thirty years of being vegan. All tastes are subjective but I do suggest that every vegan tries this desert at least once in their lives.

Wonderful, especially for vegans - Edit

Really loved this place. I'm a vegan and my partner is veggie. The menu had plenty of vegan choices, including two desserts. I had chickpea fritters, nut roast, and cashew and coconut praline; all 3 courses were amazing. Really special food. The staff were lovely and the atmosphere was really nice. I would highly recommend this to anyone going to Bath, regardless of their diet.

Pros: amazing food, lovely staff, reasonable prices

Demuths - Edit

A lovely friendly restaurant with a nice atmosphere and quite a few vegan options. Delicious food and reasonably priced. Definitely recommend.

Pros: great food, reasonable price

Cons: could be more vegan options

Good veg food - Edit

My aunt and I ate here during out stay in Bath. I've been a vegetarian for over 14 years and she's leaning in that direction.

While the food was pricey (majority of veg restaurants/foods are), it was very good. I've yet to really meet a veg restaurant I did not like. I do enjoy my food!

We started out with thoughtful bread and the portion was rather large. I had a kind of Asian salad (I forget the name and I didn't see it listed on the website). I enjoyed a Whole Earth sparkling delicious cola and she had Frank still spring water. I would eat here again.

Pros: good food, nice location

Cons: pricey

Return to Bath Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has CLOSED: Demuths closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.