First Review by Estebano

very recommendable - Edit

As we came in, we got warm welcomed by the owner Martina. At first, i was a little bit surprised, about the small size of the restaurant, but later, it was exactly that size and the very friendly owner, which create such a pleasant atmosphere. The food tasted very good and especially the daily soup was so delicious.
Simply very recommendable .

Updated from previous review on 2017-01-29

Great Vegan dinner - Edit

We really enjoyed having dinner at the Delicious Vegan Bistro. The food was delicious like a home cooked meal and the atmosphere was very welcoming. We enjoyed talking with the owner who was very pleasant.

MartinaHinterwallner 25 Nov 2016 - thank you

Diamond in the rough - Edit

Delicious, a vegan bistro, is the perfect place for a lone wanderer like me looking for some company and yummy vegan food. The owner Martina makes you feel very welcome as soon as you walk in. It doesn't feel like you're in a restaurant but someone's home...a great change from the impersonal, noisy, and fast-paced restaurants that are everywhere. It's small, yes, but that makes it possible to converse with your cook as you wait. The food is exceptional and locally sourced so don't expect it to be cheap. Feel good knowing that you're helping local businesses! This is a diamond in the rough. Go in with no expectations and be pleasantly surprised.

Pros: Excellent food, Friendly owner, Nice vibe

Give this one a miss!! - Edit

Didn't actually get around to tasting the food as the welcome we got was the rudest welcome I have ever received anywhere!! The owner/ chef quite obviously did not want to serve us and was extremely rude she was more interested in her dogs who quite frankly took up most of the space in the already tiny place and also gave the place a very doggy smell! ( I am a dog lover) however I do not want to share my eating space with someone else's dogs on a night out. My vegan eating experience in Vienna has been exceptional up until tonight. What a shame!

MartinaHinterwallner 22 Nov 2016 - iam so happy that i have so many appreciate and respectfull guests they support me, my restaurant and the veganism worldwide. this kind of people never would write something absolutely wrong like you only to want to harm me or my restaurant. they are not egoistic people !! it was the right decision from me to dont allow you to come in my bistro and eat in my little peacecenter, because my other precious guests and me dont want to have so a negative energy what you spread, while enjoying my delicious, healthy & creativ vegan food. They Dogs were the dogs from my guests, so you dont know whats going on when you are infront of the restaurant only for 1 minute. Unbelivieble people like you that to you want to harm other people with their vegan restaurant, i mean you will harm the veganism with this generelly.

Fantastic little place! - Edit

Our visit really brightened up an already sunny day in Vienna. The raw vegan pizza and satay quinoa were both unbelievably tasty and the owner was warm and friendly. Would definitely recommend!

Pros: Lots of care goes into each dish.

Small bistro - Edit

We came here after having found that the other place we wanted to go to was already closed. We could choose between 3 dishes. I took the black quinoa satay dish and my boyfriend took the black quinoa tamari coconut milk dish. The food was pretty good, as was the matcha lemonade we had. It was quite pricey, though. When we left, the owner kindly asked us to write a nice review on Happy Cow to cover up the bad reviews she got lately. I thought that was kind of weird and pushy, but since we had a good experience I thought I might as well do it.

Pros: healthy and tasty food

Cons: a bit pricey, limited choice

MartinaHinterwallner 22 Nov 2016 - oh my god ! you liked my food so much that i told you that i got a really unthankfull and not appreciate review from someone who doesnt tried my food, because i needed the place for a reservation and when you like my food so much, you can motivate others and write a nice review and you write then that i told you, you have to write a review :D

Colorful meal, enthusiastic owner and great food. - Edit

Me and my boyfriend had the raw wrap and the black quinoa with peanut sauce. Had a lovely time in this cute bistro, very recomended.

Pros: $$$, Localization, Kind owner and good food

Lovely place - Edit

When we were searching for a vegan place in Wien, happy cow showed me this place so we went there. There was a limited choice, but when we got our meal we forgot about it. I had a black quinoa salad with peanut sauce and paksoi and it tasted really great. Also the owner is a lovely woman. We were talking the entire time and it was really cosy. Hope to go back there sometime.

Pros: All vegan and fresh made food, Lovely owner

Cons: We could only choose between 2 or 3 dishes

cosy place to eat - Edit

Had dinner here one night with my husband who isn't vegan.
Loved the simplicity of the place, and the enthusiasm of the lovely lady owner/chef.
Limited choice, but that was OK as we had never been before. The food we had was very nice, and very filling.
If I had been on my own I would have gone again.
If you are a Vegan in Vienna, would recommend you give it a try.

Pros: lovely owner, very enthusiastic about Veganism. , little place, not part of a chain

Cons: limited choice

excellent food. - Edit

we visited here one night during our stay in vienna.
really small place and i first thought it was closed until we noticed some movement inside. we decided to give the lovely and happy chef free hands and surprise us.
and surprised we were.
one of the best vegan meals we have ever tasted. and it was plenty. this is a must go if you are in vienna. no doubt.
dinner for two 26 euros.

Pros: excellent food

Cons: bit pricey but just a bit.

over priced salad. - Edit

Apon arriving I had pizza on my mind, but I was informed that they were out. The lady which seemed to be the owner gave us 3 options. A wrap, bowl, or something else. My girlfriend and I ordered the "wrap" because it had beets and almond butter which we thought sounded interesting.

When the "wraps" arrived what we really got was an arugula salad with a black quinoa cracker. Instantly I was taken back because she said sorry for how hard the "wrap" was and how it was usually softer.

The cracker which was supposed to be the wrap was all broken up, bitter and tasted burnt. Then we got a pile of arugula, avocado, tons of sliced beets, a few pomegranate pieces, and some vinaigrette. No almond butter, salad was dry, and tasted basically like arugula and not much else.

When she seen we were un-happy she came to see what was wrong. We told her it wasn't what we expected for a wrap, we didn't like the cracker, and it tasted kind of basic. She then proceeded to claim how we were the only people ever who have disliked the wrap and it was gluten free is why it was dry. After going back and forth I told her we all have our own opinions.

When we returned she tried to pull up Facebook to further prove that every one loves the wrap and I calmly told her we would like our bill. She returned with a few pieces of sushi which just tasted heavily of balsamic and wasn't good.

Our bill was 27euro after she took 2euro off for not having a fresh wrap. So almost 30 euro for 2 basic salads and water. What really irks me is her knowing how unsatisfied we were and gave us like no discount, 2 euro is kind of a slap in the face. I will commend her by trying to make it right but arguing with a customer is never the correct way. I've been vegan 2 years and eat tons of raw food in California. I have never be so unsatisfied at the cost of a meal.

MartinaHinterwallner 22 Nov 2016 - the raw Wrap of black Quinoa is my most popular dish and 97% of my guests really appreciate this kind of modern, creativ, tasty & healthy food. its not only a salad (salads gerally are great). its a raw wrap of black quinoa with red beet spaghetti, rucola, pesto, avocado, pomegranate and a refreshing dressing. i cell organic food, so you cant compair mainstream coffee, drinks or food with organic products and i also have a lot of popular and high quality organic lavels of the food from my dishes. my raw wrap of black quinoa its not a wheat flour wrap !!

Yummy food and great atmosphere! - Edit

My boyfriend and I had dinner here the other day and really enjoyed the food. The raw quinoa wrap as well as the black quinoa with peanut sauce and pak choi were delicious. The place is small but cozy and the owner, Martina, is a lovely person who is really passionate about veganism and loves to have good talks with her patrons from all over the world.
Definitely a recommendation!

Pros: Delicious food, Positive atmosphere, Friendly, warm-hearted owner/chef

More, please! - Edit

I had the pleasure of eating two meals here during my recent stay in Vienna. For dinner I had the quinoa-zucchini-bok choy dish with satay sauce. For lunch I had the raw quinoa wrap with avocado-arugula-beets-pomegranate. I also had matcha and wheatgrass juices. Everything was excellent. Although the Bistro is small in size, it's big on menu options, it's cozy atmosphere, and the love that owner and chef Martina puts into making delicious meals and connecting with her patrons. You'll feel like you're eating at the home of a good friend rather than just a restaurant. I highly recommend it. I wish my stay had been longer so that I could go back for more!

Pros: Delicious food, Good value and portion size, Warmth and friendliness

excellent Food from an Angel - Edit

i visited this peacefull Bistro today with my Firends and we where impressed. The Food is excellent, tasty not expensive and very nice done. i felt really good after the lunch, my Friends (not vegan) also. i had the Black Rice Noodles and my Friends the black Quinoa with Peanutscreme and a raw Wrap with Black Quinoa. It was so delicious, it was amazing. We had a very nice talk with the beautiful and very kindley Owner and with the other Guests. The atmosphere were great. iam really happy to found such a wounderfull place like that. thank you for the owner, this taff beatiful girl that she is working hard to make such a special place for her costumers. everybody will miss a really good food, if they dont join this place.

Pros: friendly, nice talks, excellent food

very tasty food and enthousiastic & compassionate owner! - Edit

i went there for lunch and had the raw zucchini noodles. The dish was very tasty, filling (avocado mmmm!) and freshly made. The tiny terrace is cute and makes you socialize with other customers. The owner is really enthousiastic and compassionate! Highly recommandable place!!

exceptional service and delicious healthy food - Edit

Martina is a welcoming and compassionate host who prepares all food right there in her kitchen while you have a chat. Her bistro feels as though you've wandered into a friend's apartment and eating a delicious meal. All food was wholesome, fulfilling and yummy (particularly the tiramisu!!) and Martina set us in the direction of other vegan restaurants and supermarkets and shared the recipe for one of her delish desserts. Would certainly recommend, especially if you love fresh, wholesome vegan food and a homey chat. Thank you Martina!

Trust me, don't go here. - Edit

I honestly don't know how there can be so many positive reviews written here. It makes me feel like I ate at a completely different restaurant.

The restaurant owner was strange. She only had 2 or 3 dishes out of her large menu, which was very disappointing, but being vegan, and having walked especially there (vegan restaurants in Vienna aren't exactly on every corner of the street), myself and my non-vegan friend decided to stay and choose one of the dishes she did have.

I had a quinoa satay dish and my friend had the black rice noodles. DO NOT ORDER EITHER OF THESE TWO DISHES. My satay sauce dish was awful, to the point that whenever I think about it, I feel like throwing up. It was literally lots of quinoa, with a single pak choi on top and covered in a bit of satay sauce (which tasted questionable if anything else). I can't remember the last time I wasn't able to finish a meal purely out of dislike for it, but that dish had me gagging trying to eat it all. Needless to say, half of it was left on the plate.

My friend's dish wasn't much better. It didn't look appetising and didn't taste much better. In fact, tasteless is the word that best describes it. The noodles were far too soft and mushy, and it was just not even close to restaurant standard food. Worst part is, this was my friend's FIRST experience with vegan food. First impressions are important, and I'm afraid to say my friend's experience with Martina's food wasn't a good one.

Martina, herself, was weird. She was very pro-vegan which is fine when you're not pushy about it but she was. When we arrived, she handed both of us her published cookbooks which was a little pushy and offputting. She also asked repeatedly if we liked the food which was annoying.

To conclude, do not go here. Far too expensive for really bad food. I paid €11 for my dish which was an absolute disgrace when taken into account what I had to eat. There are far better vegan restaurants in Vienna for much, much cheaper. Only this afternoon had I eaten in the Harvest bistrot where I got a huge plate of awesome, healthy, flavourful food for €8. So listen to me. It's not worth it. Go somewhere else.

Pros: ?, ?, ?

Cons: Tasteless food , Only a few seats , Expensive

Raw clean vegan deliciousness - Edit

I'm a vegan flight attendant who flies all around the world
I was so lucky to find this small establishment run by compassionate chef Martina.
Simple tasty clean raw food in Vienna city centre.
More than going to a restaurant it feels like you are going to a friend who is preparing delicious vegan food specially for you
Enjoy

Updated from previous review on 2016-07-06 23:22:21

Pros: Mega healthy , Compassionate , Loving

Cons: Maybe a little small

Disappoiting - Edit

I went here today with two friends and although had already read reviews that warned of the owner of this restaurant, we had decided to go anyway. Well, we should have heeded the warnings.

The owner of this "bistro" is very unprofessional and strange. First of all there were only 3 dishes available from the supposedly extensive menu which she had hanging on the walls. All these meals were basically the same - some form of black quinoa with different dressings. That was it. And the only drinks she had was matcha lemonade and water. We had gone at 2pm, so not even like at the end of a long day of service. She just had no food and couldn't even really describe the dishes that she did have. One dish - black quinoa salad, she said 'oh it's just like a salad you know, with stuff and black quinoa. Also some avocado. And mango' Bizarre combination and she couldn't really elaborate on anything else.

She then asked that we go and apologise to the owner of the Chinese restaurant next door to her, because we'd chosen to eat at her restaurant and not his. In her words, she was worried about him 'coming over with his samurai sword and committing harakiri to her like he does with his sushi'. Very strange. My friend went over and did so, and the guy seemed genuinely confused and didn't care that we were eating at the bistro instead of his restaurant.

We decided not to eat anything as none of the 3 dishes (although it was pretty much the same thing, just with different sauces on top) sounded appetising. When we said we'd just like to drink, the owner said that we weren't allowed to stay and that she needed the table. There was nobody else around or in the restaurant at the time... So we left without drinks or food and very confused by this restaurant. I would not recommend at all, and it's a shame as this lady gives a bad name to vegans everywhere.

I would give this restaurant a 0 or 1 star recommendation but this site won't allow me to. There are much better vegan restaurants in Vienna, don't bother with this one.

Pros: Location of the restaurant.

Cons: Unprofessional and rude restaurant owner., Abysmal choice of available food and drink., No seating for groups of more than 2 people.

Excellent Vegan Option Next to Naschmarket - Edit

Love this place! It's located directly across the street from the Naschmarket. The menu changes daily and everything is vegan and gluten free.
Seating is limited but there is a park just a few steps away with tables and benches. Highly recommend.

Pros: Daily Vegan Menu, Delicious Food, Great Location

Cons: Limited Seating

Delicious, expensive, dogmatic - Edit

The food I had was excellent. I don't quite understand how it was described as tasteless in some previous reviews. At least the quinoa with peanut sauce is actually delicious, as was the dessert. However, the owner will probably - as friendly as she is - engage you in some discussions about the ethical aspects of veganism, and she the archetypical dogmatic vegan, calling non-vegan nutrition "wrong" and having other strong opinions on what you should eat and drink (for example, no soda). If that's not a problem or you are a strongly convinced vegan, then great. If you're going with non-vegan friends who might have slight prejudices or previous bad experiences with vegans, then avoid. The dishes are on the expensive side, given the normal to small portion sizes.

Pros: delicious, creative

Cons: expensive, dogmatic veganism

Tasteless and expensive - Edit

We were very disappointed about the black quinoa "pizza", without any taste and expensive. It is just two pieces of tomato with two leaves of basilic with two pieces of vegan steak. I really insist on the fact that it was tasteless.
The owner is friendly but looks very arrogant with people different than her : non-vegan are shit. She really disrespected some customers who were asking for soda. And finally her last words were "Veganize the world!"

Pros: vegan

Cons: tasteless, expensive, small room

Expensive and without any taste - Edit

We ordered our food online, the food arrived late and it was surprisingly without ANY taste. Portions are small and price incredibly high. I strongly suggest other vegetarian/vegan places in Vienna. For us NEVER AGAIN

Delicious vegan dishes - Edit

We were warmly welcomed by the lovely owner of this place who, in addition to serving great handmade food, gave us plenty of tips for our journey in Vienna. We had a vegan chili and zuchini noodles. Everything was just perfect and reasonnably priced. I will definitely pay her a visit next time I come to Vienna.
Updated from previous review on Tuesday December 01, 2015

Pros: Close to the city center, Lovely staff, Great food

recommendation - Edit

I really recommend trying raw pizza and chili sin carne. Girl that won this restaurant is very kind and confident, you can have a nice talk with her. The only one downside is that it's a little bit too expensive. So food is good but it's expensive but great is that you can take like half of some dish and of course pay half of the price. Definitely recommend to try.

Pros: Great raw pizza, Great chili sin carne

Cons: Little bit expensive

Small but ambitious - Edit

This is a really interesting place - there are some staple dishes, and changing daily specials. The owner was really welcoming and passionate about the cause. It's a tiny place though, with only two little tables, so it would be a good place to get takeaway. It's just opposite Naschmarket, so it's very convenient to get to.

We had the chilli, one of the regular items on the menu. It was really colourful and well-balanced, with mince, sweetcorn and kidney beans. I wish it had had a little more flavour: a bit more heat and spice, maybe some onion. It was served with tortilla chips and guacamole. A good dish, and a good place to support!

Chili sin carne for lunch - Edit

Went with two collegues during lunch and we were very impressed with the tasty menues. Especially the vegan desserts.
Updated from previous review on Friday October 23, 2015

Pros: Nice vibe , Friendly staff, Tasty food

Cons: Lack of bar stools

Return to Vienna Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Delicious Vegan Bistro closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.