Delicious Cafe

• Vegetarian
Contact 773-697-4857

3827 N Lincoln Ave (at North Center area), Chicago, Illinois, USA, 60613

Cafe providing coffee, tea, veggie sandwiches, bagels, and pastries. Breakfast includes an English muffin with vegan cheese and tempeh bacon. Slow brew coffee option. Casual and artsy with free Wi-Fi. Food is all vegan since Apr 2013. The only non-vegan item is dairy milk option for drinks.

Category: Vegan-friendly, American, Take-out, Bakery

First Review by jacksonbliss

Don't Bother - Edit

My friend and I stopped here on our way to The Globe (to watch an early soccer game) and the service was awful.
The selection is very minimal. My friend ordered a toasted bagel and a coffee whilst I stared at the board reading the smoothie ingredients for a couple of minutes. There was no one waiting behind us, but the girl said "do you have any questions for me or?" I chose one of the smoothies, I don't remember the name but it had orange juice in it. It tasted like an orange Julius which was pretty nice but it hasn't been blended very well so there were chunks of fruit that would get stuck in the straw. Whatever. But my friend waited an additional 10 minutes for his toasted bagel before asking about it. It had been sitting in the toaster and was cold when the other server handed it to him. We were treated like an inconvenience.
It was 11am. We were both fine until the bagel. The prices were about as welcoming as the service.
I ate a big plate of fries at the globe (sweetest bartender ever, hot plate of nice chippies in about 10 minutes) and the pint of Two Brothers made my non-vegan companion feel better about his cold bagel and mediocre coffee.
Maybe we went on a bad day, but judging by the other reviews.... It's simply not worth the effort.
I recommend Victory's Banner for good breakfast food and unique, calming atmosphere. Best vegan French toast I've ever had! My non-vegan friend and I were served nearly identical plates of French toast and we both inhaled the generous portions!

Pros: location

Cons: worst service in Chicago, prices, selection

Chill cafe - Edit

This place is very laid-back. We tried to go right when breakfast started, but had to wait a little longer than expected. The staff is very laid back, but very nice. In fact, as soon as you walk in, you feel the relaxed vibe: from the stand of current event fliers and periodicals, to the storefront of vegan goods like popcorn and cleaning items, down to the sparsely populated sitting options.

There isn't much of a kitchen, so it's impressive that they have the options that they do have. We had standard fare, coffee, tea and sandwiches. Although the price is steep for the portions, the food is very tasty! Considering the space they have to prepare the food, it's understandable they don't have economies of scale to reduce the price. It is worth it though, especially since so few restaurants w/ vegan options are open for brekkie. However, if you are "starving," ordering one item will likely be insufficient!

There was a regular flow of customers coming in for coffee, which created a neighborhood feel to the cafe.

The desserts were plentiful, albeit not the most perfect or mouth-watering in appearance. The cookies were quite flat, akin to crepes if thinking about pancake comparisons. Though greasy, they were relatively satisfying. The muffins and cupcakes looked sufficient for someone interested in eating a pastry, but on looks alone, I wouldn't be wholly convinced.

I would certainly return here for the vegan brekkie or if in the neighborhood for coffee. Supporting the local veg community is so important!

Pros: relaxed atmosphere, tasty food, vegan

Cons: minimal seating, portion, price

Not too bad - Edit

This is a bit of a hole in the wall, just 6 or so small tables. You order from the counter from a small menu- some sandwiches and a quiche the day I was there. The help wasn't overly friendly nor the place exceptionally clean.
I had a meatloaf sandwich despite not being a meatloaf fan - To my surprise, it was very, very good! The price might have been a little high, but I would go back once just to see what else they had to offer.
I didn't see much for dessert as far as cookies and smores etc that other people mentioned, maybe I didn't look hard enough on the cluttered counter.

Cons: small, cluttered

ok - Edit

I was less than pleased with the service and state of cleanliness of the Delicious Cafe. Staff was on cell phone when I entered and walked away from the counter when I approached. I received very little help with the menu.

Super Tasty - Edit

I have been to Delicious Cafe once with a friend. My friend had the peanut butter/banana sandwich, I had the eggless egg salad, both were very good! They also serve delicious coffee and tea. I have bought nut cheeses from here as well as vegan smores and tarts! I highly recommend if you're in the area, check them out!

Pros: good food, wifi, friendly staff

Cons: smallish selection, a little pricey

Get the Breakfast Sandwich! - Edit

This is my re-review; you can see my prior review down below.

Delicious Cafe has quite the breakfast! If you're not there during their brunch, opt for the Breakfast Sandwich (I got mine on the "everything bagel" instead)! This is by far, the best breakfast sandwich I've ever had. I was impressed with their recreation of an egg on this sandwich (made out of tofu), the nut cheese (vegan) they put on this was quite amazing, and the fake sausage was very good! A bunch of us shared a piece of their coffee flavored cake - it was really good!

Like I said before, the owners are great! They're attentive to customers and are very nice to talk to.

Prior review:
I've only been here once so far and have been very impressed. The owners are *awesome* and they're Vegan. They had plenty of Vegan desserts and some Vegan food (like sandwiches, etc.). They told me they're going to expand their menu and may possibly have a brunch in the future. I had a few things here and I will say I liked their cookies the best. I will update my review after I've been here a few more times.

Rad Café - Edit

My girlfriend and I found this café after googling "vegan cafés, Chicago" and we loved it from the very beginning. Great 80's music, fantastic cupcakes + sandwiches (with organic veggies + great nut cheeses so you don't OD on soy), tasty green tea, free wifi + a super comfortable vibe--this is the perfect place to kick it, work + be healthy. We'll be back soon.

Pros: Food, Wifi, Baristas

Cons: Too cool of a café to close so early!, Too cool of a café to close so early!, Too cool of a café to close so early!

Return to Chicago Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Delicious Cafe closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 6656 times since Apr 2009.