Deli Kitchen

n/a

Augustenstrasse 5, Munich, Germany, 80333

Despite the name, this small deli bar uses dairy since Sep 2016. Also has snacks, soups, salads, smoothies, juices, and cakes. Uses organic, fair trade ingredients. Originally known as Yam Vegan Deli. Open Mon-Fri 10:00am-4:00pm.

Category: Lacto, American, Organic, Western, Juice bar, Bakery, German

First Review by wangyueh

New since Sept 2016, I wasn't there yet. - Edit

Update Okt 2016
They now changed the name, which I think makes sense.
Have not had the chance to eat there since the new owners cook.
Therefore going back to three stars, will update as soon as I visited Deli Kitchen.

Update Sept 2016
New owners.
Not vegan anymore.
Not clearly marked what is vegan and what is not.
Still keep the name "vegan" Deli...
I think that doesn't make sense, therefore I'll go there again as soon as they figure that out.

__________________________________

I went there a few times for lunch.
It is a small place approx 12 seats inside and 6 outside.
I try to arrive at 13.45 earliest because otherwise it is very crowded.

They serve very delicious food!
I very much like how they handle the food. How they combine different ingredients and spices. They do not try to mimic meat or other animal products (I say this without any judgement, because I do sometimes like fake meat).
There is a no waste policy as far as i know, meaning the vegetables that where not used in the main dish will be part of the dip the following day.

They will post a picture of the menu of the day on facebook, which is very handy.

They serve unusual cake combinations like sweet potato-cashew for example, and they taste wonderful.

They serve fresh juices and smoothies.
And also have a little selection of "superfoods" (from chia seeds to chocolate and bread) for sale.

As far as I know everything is organic.

They are very, very nice! Any questions I had were answered with a smile.

If you like you can order tap water (not that common in Germany).

You can easily get there it's quite close to U Bahn Königsplatz and Main Station.

Highly recommended!
Updated from previous review on Tuesday April 29, 2014

Updated from previous review on Tuesday April 29, 2014

Updated from previous review on 2016-09-13

Pros: easy to get there

Cons: small (also a Pro.. because it's cosy..), 2 not vegan anymore but keep "vegan" in the name, 3 not clearly marked.

still vegan? - Edit

I used to love this place for lunch, it was my true happy place. Unfortunately the owner changed and now they offer vegetarian cuisine with vegan options but still keep the name “Vegan Deli” which is quite confusing!

Pros: it was great ones but vegan offering changed!!!

Cons: vegetarian cuisine now, not 100% vegan anymore!!!

Great spot - Edit

lovely little place, good if you're visiting the Glyptothek. Minuscule menu, but really tasty, we had a kind of salad bowl thing but it was way nicer than that sounds, with potatoes, lovely bread and vegan curry spread. waitress super friendly. not cheap. nice atmosphere.

Cute Cafe with well priced food - Edit

The Vegan Deli is a small cafe with a choice of starter, main, soup and a range of cakes. The food was well priced and the cakes were delectable. The two ladies working there were friendly and made the cafe a welcoming one. They were able to translate the menu into english for me and even told me how to make the spread that was on the bread. A welcoming cafe that is well worth the visit.

Pros: friendly staff, healthy and tasty food

Cons: main was a little small, but with a desert is the

Such a cozy little place - Edit

Visited in June 2016.

The food contents is as explained by other reviews; there is "today's plate" and I think there is also a soup; drinks and desserts.
I don't remember exactly what were the dishes I got in the plate; but all I can say is that it was very good.

I ordered food to take-away; so I did not stay a log time inside; however, the place was small but cozy.

I arrived around 11.30; so I can imagine how busy it can get during lunch time.
The staff was very nice; welcoming and smiley, perfect. :)

By the way, if you take away food; you'll need to "pay" a deposit of €3, because the food is given to you on a glass container (I guess to minimize waste).
The deposit is given back when you bring back the container.

Pros: good value, nice vibe, very nice staff

Cons: small place, just one plate, works only for lunch

Nice small place with nice vegan food! - Edit

Even though the offer is limited, it's very tasty!
The place is small, but very cosy and charming!
The guy working there is super friendly!
Definitely recommended!

Pros: tasty food, nice athmosphere

small but perfectly formed - Edit

We went for breakfast - granola with fruit and a green smoothie. We stayed on for some cake too. English menu, very welcoming and tasted very good.

Great place! - Edit

I totally adore this place. Although it is a very tiny café, you have the best food! It is all vegan, the staff is super friendly and the dishes taste delicious

Pros: Only vegan, friendly staff, very beautiful and cozy

Cons: Should be way bigger! The food is amazing!

great place, near HBF :) - Edit

We came here hen we arrived too early in Munich for check in at our hotel and it is right near the main station.
I was expecting something quite basic but it's actually rather nice. There isn't much selection (one main, soup and salad), but they do a combo dish which was pretty decent and very filling. My husband and I also shared cheesecake and chocolate beetroot cake. I was ready explode after all that food. Glad we went when we did as we wouldn't have had a chance as it closes early and isn't open over the weekend.
I'd definitely recommend

Pros: near station , healthy, not fast food, no fake meats etc

Cons: closed at weekend

Delicious food. Great setting. - Edit

Absolutely loved the place. Had a healthy, wholesome lunch main, which was a wrap and also tried an amazing slice and coffee. For the coffee they offer soy, oat, rice and almond milk.

Pros: healthy, organic , fast

Nice cakes, friendly staff - Edit

This is a cosy little café in a great location, only a 5 minute walk from the main train station. I haven't eaten a main dish here, but the coconut cake I tried was delicious, and the staff member who served me was very welcoming and friendly. They also have a few grocery items for sale. I'd like to return and try some of the hot food, though it might be best to go early as there are not many seats.

Pros: location, atmosphere, friendly staff

great for to-go, healthy - Edit

I really enjoyed this tiny cafe. Lots of stuff to-go and they also sell some vegan packaged foods. They base the menu on daily specials. I thought the food was delicious and nutritious.

Pros: Nice atmosphere, Healthy food, Fair prices

Cons: Small, Limited menu

Good for a Deli - Edit

This small and cozy eatery offers also a range of superfood products like chia seeds or spirulina for example. They "only" offer one main course during the whole day which you can combine with a hot soup. The staff is very friendly and courteous. If you're not that chary and looking for something to eat without a restaurant feeling, then you are right. Ahh....and yes, not to forget the juices/smoothies...very great!

Fresh - Edit

So I had sweet potato soup, bread with beet dip, a green smoothie, and a piece of yogurt(?) cake. Everything was good. I didn't much like the cake, but it's probably because I love chocolate. The place is small and cozy. They have some bulk nuts, dates, and oats, chocolate bars, fruit and nut bars, and nut and soy milks. I grabbed a soy milk. I liked it because it was sweetened with apples. Note to self: Never buy green smoothies at places! They are too easy to make at home for much cheaper and 5! times the amount. But I still enjoyed the one here. That soup was amazing. I will definitely be back.

Pros: filling, friendly service, tasty

Good meals, but too small a space - Edit

We had the combo (soup, beetroot salad, quinoa salad), which was tasty and healthy. We tried two desserts, but found them lacking in flavor, probably because they were sugar-free. It is a very small cafe, there were not enough places to sit and we were being jostled by the people standing in line waiting to order, and it was noisy.

Pros: Good hearty meals, Friendly staff

Cons: Small cafe, Noisy

marvelous cake - Edit

nice, little, laid back cafe closed to the main station (5 min. to walk).
i had a marvelous (and sugar-free) cake and a matcha latte (don't try this if you don't like the taste of algae ;-)).

Pros: laid back atmosphere, closed to the main station, tasty food

Cons: small choice

Best coffee in Munich - Edit

A small, cosy and friendly place, Yam Vegan Deli serves the best coffee we had in Munich (this is coming from two Melbournians).

We also had a light lunch between the two of us, the Mix Tape; a taster plate of two salads and a small soup for 9 euros. Great value and delicious.

Pros: Fabulous soy coffee, Tasty fresh food

Friendly spot for a light, inexpensive meal - Edit

Yam Vegan Deli is a nice, relaxed place for a light, healthy vegan meal. The food was tasty and obviously prepared with care. The staff take pride in the food they prepare and serve. Everything is (as much as possible) fair trade and organic and there was a varied (though limited) selection of soups, light entrees and desserts.

Space is a bit tight so I think it might be hard to find seating sometimes, but definitely worth a try.

Pros: healthy, moderately priced, fair-trade/organic

Cons: limited menu

Return to Munich Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Deli Kitchen closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.