First Review by feorag

Cheap spice - Edit

Being stuck in an hotel near Heathrow Airport where they're having trouble managing vegetarian, never mind vegan, I'm likely to be positive about any vegan-friendly place I can get to quickly from here! South Indian is also one of my favourite cuisines.

That said, Delhi Wala does have a couple of failings. The first one was the speed with which we were expected to order. It was possibly just that member of staff, but I felt we were expected to know exactly what we wanted almost immediately. As one of our party was unfamiliar with the cuisine, and I was trying to decide between several favourites I don't get very often, I felt under pressure.

The menu is extensive, with various savouries, dosa and curries on offer. I opted for peas kachori to start, and shared a portion of bhel puri. Neither compromised on spice - a bit of a surprise in the case of the bhel puri. My main was the old reliable, masala dosa. It was the size of one of the Outer Hebrides, and generously stuffed. The stuffing was, again, spicy and the sambar contained lots of drumstick. The dosa itself was a little on the thick side and the underside was rather greasy. The coconut chutney also appeared to contain some yoghurt, and some chili sauce had been added to the mint chutney, in case you hadn't had enough spice yet! One of our party felt her peshwari naan was somewhat dry.

Other aspects of the service were excellent, and a problem in the loos was dealt with immediately it was brought to their attention. The dining area is impeccably clean and the sweets and savouries were attractively displayed. I'm enjoying some of them now for breakfast. Despite the failings, I would eat there again, though I plan to try out the other veggie Indian places in this area first.

Pros: cheap, spicy

Cons: Overbearing staff, probably too spicy for some

FantasticTraditional Indian Food - Edit

This is the sister restaurant to Delhiwala in Southall. It is smaller and in my view the food is even better.....if that is actually possible! Dining is very relaxed, family oriented and everyone is made to feel very welcome.

The food is traditional Indian pure vegetarian and vegan. Everything my wife and I have tasted on the menu is delicious and is nothing like the food you get in your "normal high street indian". Food is fresh is not swimming in fat and does not have the intense colour that some much Indian food served the UK suffers from the addition of "whatever".

Highlights from the menu include;

Panir Tikka - Cheese cubes marinated in spices and baked in a tandoor and served with fried onions and peppers.
Mooli Paratha - Unleavened bread stuffed with grated mooli (white radish). This is spectacular and will wheen people off the puffy naan breads we get served in restaurants in no time.
Various Dosas and Uttapams (types of crepes stuffed with indian spiced vegetables or panir). These are amazing wi th delicious pickles).
The Lassis are incredible, either salted or sweet and as this restaurant does not have a licence for alcohol, completely removes any desire you may have for your "Cobra" or "Kingfisher".
The restaurant also has an extensice range of home made sweets and deserts...if you are lucky to have any room after the main courses!
Finally try the masalla tea at the end, a civilised way to end your meal.

We visit this restuarant regularly and happily make the 45 mimute drive to it, because it is really worth it. All our friends we have taken have marvelled at how good the food is and its value. This is truly a cheap restaurant that serves food greatly superior to restaurants that charge double. Try it, and if you like it take your friends. Restaurants like this must never be allowed to go our of business

Finally, this is restaurant has no pretentions, it is there to serve its local indian vegetarian community. I

Pros: Excellent Food, Unusual Dishes, Value for Money

Return to South West London Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Delhi Wala closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.