De Werfkring

• Vegetarian
Contact 030-2311752

Oudegracht 123 werf, Utrecht, Netherlands,

Menu is based on principles of sustainability, and the owner has connection to Tibet. Offers a daily 2-course menu for around € 21 which includes soup, a main course, and a dessert. Each course could also be ordered separately. Large choice of non-alcoholic beverages. Opened in 2011.

Category: Lacto, European, Fusion

First Review by Marco

If you like the basics - Edit

I went here a couple of years ago with my family for my birthday since it is pretty much the only veggie restaurant in the city centre.
But it was quite dissapointing because it lacked atmosphere and the food was also very basic (or boring..)
The food itself wasn't nesecarily bad, it was pretty much like the food I cook at home but it wasnt made presentable like you would expect at a restaurant.
Because it is situated at one of the top locations for restaurants in Utrecht I just expected much more.

So if you're in Utrecht looking for vegan or veggie food I would recommend you'd go to one of the many new, trendy veg-vriendly restaurants around the city centre. Because there are lots of them!

Pros: Basic, simple, Location

Cons: Boring, Too expensive

Old Fashioned - Edit

If you want something quick and easy and are feeling nostalgic for old fashioned veggie food this is for you. In the centre of town, with tables along the gracht its food will fill a hole rather than inspire.

Pros: Location, Value

Cons: Lack Of Choice

Quite dissapointed - Edit

My girlfriend and I went to this restaurant in the inner city of Utrecht. It was located by the water and the atmosphere was quite good. We had made reservations (as requested on one of the many blogs about vegan/vegetarian restaurants). The staff is glad and forthcoming and the service is good. We ordered a vegan dish. There was plenty of food to fill youre stomach, but I must say that the taste left me somewhat dissapointed. It was near to flavourless, and was "bodytemperature". The inside of the restaurant was a bit sterile. Could use a bit of background music to set a good mood :) Even though i believe in second chances I am affraid that I wont be comming back.... :(
Updated from previous review on Saturday March 15, 2014

Pros: Can make 100% Vegan, Placement my the water

Cons: No coziness, Tasteless

It hit the spot - Edit

Menu as advertised? Exactly. Prepared by a Tibetan? Probably. Tibetan cuisine? Unlikely. 3 stars for satisfying, filling and reasonably priced. One more for outdoor canal side dining in perfect weather.

Pros: Portion size, tasty, price

Cons: service

Kind of strange but good location - Edit

Just had a simple soup for lunch. The person wasnt very friendly and didnt seem to speak much english. Soup was a bit oily.

Cons: Small menu, Not to good service

At the waterside - Edit

A nice and calm place at the waterside. We ate there for lunch and there is the cook who serves and does the kitchen. We asked to veganize the pancake for us and that was absolutly no problem. Our dish was filling and healthy, I never had a tibetan pancake before.
The restaurant is simple without bells and whistles. We were there in the fall, but I 'm sure there is a nice atmosphere in the summer when you can sit outside near the water!

A total gem - Edit

I stumbled upon this place when I was out looking for a different vegetarian restaurant that has apparently closed down. It was quite a lucky find all tucked away on the canal in the heart of Utrecht. It is peaceful, clean and full of sweetness. The server was also the cook and he took his time to make sure he could fulfil my every desire. We had a grilled veggie pancake with an almond, raisin, cabbage salad and some green tea. Simple and delicious I am going back for more and then some more on top of that. The server also told me that if you call in advance (24hours) and make an appointment, they can prepare a meal to your specifications - vegan, wheat-free, dairy-free - whatever you need it to be. It's the perfect place to take family or even have a cozy date with your sweetheart as it has so much charm and is situated on the romantic old canal.

Pros: smoke-free, tasty food, very sweet staff

Cons: needs more business or it may go down...

Simple joy - Edit

We often have our dinner here. You can choose from two simple but very healthy and tasty three-course menus. The atmosphere is very special: underground in a typical Utrecht warf cellar with a Tibetan touch. In the summertime you can sit outdoor at the waterside.

Pros: atmosphere

Return to Utrecht Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has De Werfkring closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 5988 times since Aug 2007.