De Wankele Tafel Vegetarisch Restaurant

Contact +31-703643267

Mauritskade 79, Den Haag (at Denneweg), The Hague, Netherlands,

Small veggie food restaurant. Menu features various internationally influenced main plates plus coffee and tea drinks. Tue-Sat 4:30pm-9:30pm

Category: Vegan-friendly, International, Western, Juice bar, Beer/Wine, European

First Review by Marco

Quite simple, but not bad - Edit

I ate here a little while ago, but as far as I know, nothing really changed in the menu. The restaurant has a nice atmosphere and good service. The food is nothing really special, they are not that innovatory. It tasted well, but I could make it easily at home myself. For me it is a pretty good restarant for a reasonable price.

Pros: Nice atmosphere, Pretty good food

Cons: Not that spectacular food

Hogless in Den Haag - Edit

What a wonderful treat! We enjoyed cups of pumpkin and ginger soup and zucchini and mustard soup, exotic rice, Mexican beans, a glass of wine, chocolate mousse and oatcake. Every item was delicious - unique combinations and well seasoned. All the dishes were vegetarian with a number of vegan choices. The restaurant is cozy and warmly decorated. The server was helpful (in English) and the service prompt. The final bill was 36 euro for two. Would definitely recommend the restaurant!

Pros: Great food, Pleasant atmosphere

A classic in The Hague - Edit

A "classic" in the Hague, situated a bit "off the beaten path", but only about 20 minutes walk from the central station.

The place - food, interior, ambiance - gives a bit of a timetraveler's feeling, like being back in the 1970's / 1980's, which can be quite charming. Consequently, they are probably one of the last "cash only" places in town...

I have been here many times throughout the years and I do like their food, although I think the meals are all a bit similar to each other, and I do have the impression that the menu - apart from the weekly specials which can presently be found on their Facebook site - never changes. The food is good and solid, no frills, not too many spices, no experiments with fresh herbs or new combinations.

They have 2 vegan main dishes - "Exotic Rice Dish" and "Mexican Beans", and there is always a vegan soup and always the same vegan dessert - the "haverklap", something in between a cookie and a cake, quite dry and sugary but no bad. Sometimes the "haverklap" comes with fresh fuit. And sometimes the weekly special can be veganized, too (by leaving some ingredients out).

The place can be quite crowded and seems to have many regular, local visitors.

The staff, especially the ladies, are very friendly.

Pros: good + solid food, friendly staff, cozy ambiance

Cons: not too many vegan options

A lovely veggie restaurant - Edit

We almost didn't go here - their website is terrible with very little information and (as we now know) a very old price list - but we rode up on our bikes and we're very glad we did!

It's nicely decorated in a cosy way, with friendly staff and menus available in English too. The vegan items are marked, which is good, though there were only two vegan main dishes and one dessert, so the choice isn't huge. Both vegan dishes were very good, however - especially the "exotic rice meal" which includes a roasted banana, seitan in an incredible peanut sauce, brown rice with a different sauce, and salad. The mexican beans dish was hearty and filling.

The only vegan dessert is flapjack, but it was very nice rustic style flapjack all the same.

The woman serving us was helpful and friendly. Worth a visit if you're in Den Haag.

Pros: nice restaurant, nice food, vegan options marked

Cons: only two vegan mains

creative combinations - Edit

Had dinner here mid-week in the summer and was surprised by how busy it was. Not full per se, but full enough to be on the loud side.

I was pleasantly surprised by the ingenious combinations of ingredients on offer in the crepes. I had the double-lentil pancake stuffed with veggies, cheese, apples and tempeh (if I remember correctly). Sounds a bit odd but believe me it worked :-)

Pros: good value, nice neighborhood in city center

Cons: small selection

Hearty food for a cold winter's evening - Edit

I ate here in December 2007 and had a savory crepe au gratin filled with rice or quinoa and veggies. The warm, casual atmosphere was the most memorable thing about the restaurant; very pleasant on a cold winter's evening, even if the tables are a bit tight. Good value for simple, hearty food and drink.

Pros: Warm atmosphere, Good value

Cons: Wine wasn't great, A bit crowded

Great things come in small packages - Edit

A very nice restaurant with several tasty dishes. Do try the chocolate cake for desert! The interior, with lots of wood, is cosy but often too small for the rich diversity of visitors: nice old ladies, revolutionaries and civil servants. Making a reservation can be necessary.

Pros: great atmosphere

Cons: small

Return to The Hague Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has De Wankele Tafel Vegetarisch Restaurant closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 6324 times since Aug 2007.