De Vegetarische Snackbar

0641220828

Stationsplein 5A, The Hague, Netherlands, 2515 BT

Veggie burgers, sandwiches, brunch food, cupcakes, and ice cream with many vegan choices as well. Located opposite to Hollands spoor station. Delivers. Open Mon-Fri 11:00am-9:00pm, Sat-Sun 12:30pm-9:00pm.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, American, Western, Fast food, Take-out, Dutch

First Review by Alynda

Fast food heaven - Edit

With so much choice, it is a hard job to just pick one or two snacks. So, you have to come back again. The vegan kroketten and bitterballen (Dutch delicacies) are to confuse with the original ones. The snackbar seems very succesfull; people come and go.

Updated from previous review on 2017-03-26

Pros: great variety of choice, cheap, next to trainstation HS

great vegan fast food joint - Edit

Visited this small restaurant twice during my stay in The Hague. Great variety of vegan sandwiches, fresh fries, quick and friendly service! Great spot, I definitely recommend it!

Fastfood heaven - Edit

When I heard there was a vegetarian snackbar opening, and they would a have a lot of vegan options I needed to go there as soon as possible :)

In the meantime I've been there a few times already. A lot of my non-vegan friends and co-workers always talk about how vegans eat so healthy. Well, now I can tell them I can eat fat fastfood just like them, hahaha.

I was really surprised how many of their options are vegan. A lot of meat substitutes sold in the Netherlands contain egg or milk, but De Vegetarische Snackbar tried to find some great ones that don't. They have fries, burgers, deep-fried snacks, sandwiches, icecream, cupcakes, organic lemonades and much more. Most of it vegan.

Yeah this is not a place you go to eat some super healthy food. It's amazing for what it is though, and reminds me a bit of some of the great places you can find in Berlin. They will be seeing me a lot here :) Very friendly owner and staff too.

Update: I had them deliver something, it took them one and a half hour, the food was cold and soaked in beetroot juice... And you pay a 2.50 delivery charge for that plus a premium of about 25% on all food? No thank you.

Updated from previous review on 2013-05-08

Pros: Vegan fast food! YES!

Cons: Don't have them deliver because you pay way more , Delivery is sloooooooooow

great vegan junk food! - Edit

This is a great place for vegan junk food. The owner said about 80-90% is vegan, including vegan garlic sauce for the kebabs! Had a kebab mixed salad which is apparently Dutch style - fries at the bottom, then vegan kebab meat, then salad, then vegan cheese melted on top plus garlic mayo and spicy sauce! Delicious and unique! Sauce is hot!!

Ultimate vegan comfort food! - Edit

Although I had seen this Snackbar multiple times on HappyCow, I never bothered actually going past to try it out because I thought it looked rather grimy and unappealing from the outside.

However, yesterday I found myself near The Hague HS station with my boyfriend, both of us in need of some quick, satisfying vegan food. We decided to give it a try.

When I walked in I immidiately wondered whether everything was really vegetarian. The interior looks exactly like every other snackbar I had seen in my life, and so did the "meat" lying on the counter.

I decided to order the vegan shoarma sandwich and my boyfriend went for the vegan seitan burger. Within 10 minutes both were ready and we were sooo pleasantly surprised! Not only was the food absolutely delicious, it was also hands down the most realistic vegetarian meat I had EVER had.

The shoarma was complete with vegan garlic sauce that was to die for. We ended up ordering seconds, that's how good it was.

I'm definitely planning on bringing some of my meat eating friends here to have them try some of the "meat". I don't think anyone will be able to tell the difference!

Pros: Relatively cheap, Quickly prepared, Easily reachable, right next to station HS

Cons: Not the healthiest food, but it IS a snackbar!, Not a very nice interior

Amazing - Edit

I was there last year and can't wait to go back. I tried the vegan combo with bitterballen, nuggets, falafel and kibbuhling with garlic sauce. So yummy and felt so much like the real meaty stuff!!!
The place is a bit small and I wouldn't recommend it if you're in a rush.

Pros: so yummy

Vegan deep fried food - Edit

It's great that someone veganized (most of) the typical dutch deep fried foods found in "snackbars".

The kaassouffle I tried there was delicious. The french fries however, were quite dissapointing. I later heard from someone that's because they use a different kind of oil than the traditional snackbar.

Also, the place looked a bit dingy... It felt a little unclean, I would say.

Updated from previous review on 2016-10-08

Pros: veganized dutch deep fried food, located next to a train station

Cons: the french fries are not tasty, not very clean

Good for a snack - Edit

Not the typical, pop in - order - and pop out with your order - type of snackbar, don't go if you're in a rush.

Good tasty food (haven't tried anything). Burgers and snacks are great, was less impressed with the pizza.

Pros: Snacks

Cons: So-so pizza

fun and lots of vegan meats - Edit

Been vegan for years and had my first vegan shawarma here. Fun and delicious. This isn't a snack bar, it's a full on restaurant with lots of options for soups, sandwiches and meals. Server was friendly and even went next door to get me ice when I requested it.

Great food, worst service - Edit

The food over here is really great. You have a lot of different choices and most of them are vegan. Really nice.

The big negative part of 'De Vegetarische Snackbar' is the service. They are not customer friendly at all, but in the beginning we didn't mind because the food is so delicious. However, yesterday we asked our money back and left the place, since we waited for more than 1 hour for our two burgers. He responded very angry and agitated. We understand there were a lot of customers, but when we were told they would start immediately after asking for the third time how long it would take, we didn't want to eat there anymore.

They are not working efficiently at all (they are making one dish at a time) and people who ordered 0.5 hours after us, got their food after 30 minutes. It's a shame, it could have worked out pretty good, but clearly they don't understand running a restaurant as well. A snackbar means getting a quick dish (fast food), but waiting more than a hour for you simple burger, is absolute absurd.

Pros: Good vegetarian/vegan dishes, Near the train station

Cons: Service is bad!, The restaurant looks cheap, Waiting times are too long

Huge fan right here - Edit

De vegetarische snackbar is very close to where I live and I'm a huge fan.

The concept of a "snackbar" is very familiar to anyone in the Netherlands but may be confusing to foreigners. It means: fast, cheap, fried food to take home or eat while you walk. The food traditionally with a lot of french fries and a lot of processed meat of undetermined origin.

De vegetarische snackbar turned this concept around by creating a "snackbar" that's all vegetarian and in many cases vegan. So it's still fried food and they serve all the questionable meat products except they're not meat products. This is a fun and original idea and it works really well. (As a break from tradition they also serve some salads by the way.)

The food is a little more expensive than a traditional "snackbar" but that is to be expected. It's very tasty and filling. We love the karma and the bacon burger. It is still fried fast food so you probably shouldn't eat there every night if you care about your health. But we go there once or twice a month and we very much enjoy it.

Pros: affordable, wide selection, great taste

Good but not great - Edit

Had the Seaburger and Kibbuhling and my girl the Kap Karma and Chickenburger. We both had a banana milkshake.

Pros: All plantbased, tasty

Hell YES! - Edit

The food is fresh, delicious and really creative. I had a tuna sandwich and a coconut vanilla mylk shake. It was a divine!! The prices are affordable and the place is comfy too. I really wish we had such a place in Amsterdam... ;(

Pros: Affordable, Delicious, Creative

Cons: Not in Amsterdam

Fingerlicking vegan fast food - Edit

The vegan shoarma is the bomb! I brought some meat-eating family from Germany here, and they said they couldn't tell the difference from a meaty Döner. They got the garlic sauce down to the point, and even the fishy stuff (most of all the 'kibbeling' tastes authentic. I don't know how they do it, but they certainly found a way to veganize fast food. Also sells Professor Grunschnabel vegan ice cream.

Pros: Delicious fast food (mostly vegan), Open daily, great service, Right by the station

Cons: They're not in Rotterdam

Big snacks - Edit

Big snacks, fair prices, nice staff, a lot of choices. I like the selfmade veganaise. Very tasty if you like it fat and salty (I do so). Not really "healthy" as it stands in the logosign.

Pros: Big servings

Awful food except the vegetarian shoarma - Edit

It's a snack bar with emphasis in the greasy stuff. I tried the burger and a veg roll which, except the shoarma, flew to the trash bin presto. To be fair, their shoarma is really good but it cannot compensate for the bad food and the questionable cleanliness of the place. Look elsewhere.

Pros: Vegetarian shoarma called Koarma

Cons: Not clean. Awful taste.

Variable quality. Poor service. - Edit

Ordered on two separate occasions from here and food is variable. Our most recent order came with all the chips badly overdone with no soft potato inside most likely to over-frying. Especially annoying as this amounted to at least €10 of the order. Website is inconsistent and does not provide accurate allergen information. A phone call to restaurant to confirm ingredients was not convincing + we were told veganbom burger had no soy. Surprised to find it filled with veganaise which is soy based. Also comments were ignored when we requested no onions in 3 of 4 burgers - sadly all had onions. So to summarise, poor quality website in need of updating, awful service not honouring phone advice or web order request and poor or variable quality food. To add insult to injury order time was 1 hour but actually took 1h 20mins and we are not far from the shop. You may have better luck than us.

Great! - Edit

We had the fried fish, berenklauw ("meat"ball with onions), cheese soufflé and fries. Everything was really delicious, especially the berenklauw tasted just like meat, also with a great structure.

Pros: great food, friendly staff, lots of options

Return to The Hague Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has De Vegetarische Snackbar closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.