CLOSED: De Vegetarische Traiteur

Contact +31-204234199

Rozengracht 217, Amsterdam, Netherlands, 1016NA

New name in 2015; formerly known as De Vegetarische Slager. Shop offering vegetarian faux meats like faux chicken, bacon, burger patties, gyros, and sausage, in addition to other veg products like imports, Japanese food, and cooking supplies. This is its second location; the other is in The Hague. Its products are sold throughout the Netherlands. There is a detailed menu behind the counter and a large area of tables for eating-in. APR 2016 REPORTED SHUT. Open Mon-Sat 11:00am-9:00pm, Sun 11:00am-7:00pm.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Western, Fast food, Take-out

First Review by hack_man

Poor - Edit

The place was quite nice in the past but last time i visited ( march 2016) it was absolutely rubbish . Everything from quality of service to quality of food changed dramatically. When we got there the place was dirty , few tables had dirty dishes on them and nobody was rushing to clean them , food we ordered had completely different presentation from the previous times we visited ( not in a good way) i asked to get a tea three times and still didn't get it . Overall, even though the "meat" still tasted great the experience there was very poor . Will not go again .

Nice place, tasty but too much meat like - Edit

It's a nice place, reasonable prices and depending what you take can be quite tasty. The chicken piripiri was nice, and they can make things vegan. The personnel is very nice and helpful, but they are never reachable through phone call.
A bit of a pity everything is litter my a meat replacement.
I would go back if I'm in the neighborhood.

Pros: Okay prices & nice personnel , Chicken Piri shoarma was nice, Vegan dishes possible

Cons: Too much replacing meat, Everything with bread/ pita etc

Expensive - Edit

You can get a whole variety of faux-meat. I thought, however, that the food was little value for money. Very pricey, small portions and not much taste. It was a fun experience, but a little disappointing. I wouldn't go there again.

Pros: Huge variety of faux meat

Cons: expensive, small portions

like a meat place - Edit

I was missing the Veggies. Vegetables are rather on the side and like garnish. Heavily "meat" and "cheese" focused. The salad was also a "chicken" or "tuna" salad.
The sandwich I had was ok. This was considered a "warm dish", but I was missing warm dishes. Because the toased bread does not stay warm for a long time and also not if you put it in the oven. The kroketten where very tasty. The fish had for my taste nothing to do with fish.

Pros: big, heavy on "meat" for veg. meatlovers, a toilet to use

Cons: missed the veggies, no really warm dishes

Not very tastey - Edit

This restaurant has a very limited menu. I tried a sandwich and a baba ganush. The latter was good, but the former was tasteless. It seems that the focus on meat substitutes means that there is too little attention to everything else.

There is limited seating at the restaurant.

I'd suggest you find a nicer place.

Results may vary - Edit

I tried both outlets (De Vegetarische Traiteur in Amsterdam and De Vegetarische Slager in The Hague) during the brief trip I just did to the Netherlands. My experiences were quite different: I really liked the chicken with I believe satay sauce I had in The Hague. In addition, I saw a number of interesting products that, while not organic, were not particularly easy to get, such as butter beans grown in Greece. The Traiteur (formerly Slager) in Amsterdam, on the other hand, seems to prefer well-known brands, even if they are from corporations that don´t exactly have the best record in terms of human rights, for instance. Besides, the Muhummara I ordered was tasty, but the chicken that accompanied it had not been marinated at all, so it was just a good texture with no taste. Clearly, I prefer the Slager to the Traiteur.

We liked it here - Edit

We ordered a burger and a toasted sandwich (I guess) and enjoyed the food. Seating is not comfortable but we didn't have to wait long and devoured the food quickly.

Pros: Fresh, Variety of choice, Friendly

Cons: A bit off the tourist spots

Awesome Dutch junk food in the Jordaan - Edit

This is not just junk food - it's 'typical dutch' junk food like kip nuggets, fries fish sticks and, best of all, kroketten (basically a mashed potato stick, fried). They also make some good looking sandwiches which we never tried because we were too busy, as they say in New York, noshing! All began except for the cordon bleu and tuna salad, which are vegetarian but not vegan.

Pros: real Dutch junk food but vegan

Cons: they haven't opened an outlet in NYC yet

good option in amsterdam - Edit

We ate here for dinner during a recent trip to Amsterdam. First you should be aware that this is less of a formal, sit-down restaurant with wait service and more of a order at the counter and help yourself kind of place. Probably better for lunch than dinner unless you're in the mood for something quick. However, the staff were friendly and very patient with us as they have quite a selection to choose from. The mock meats, while good, were average compared to some of the products like Beyond Meat that we have back in the States.

Pros: friendly service, good selection of mock meats

No more bacon tho excuses! - Edit

Great selection of fake meaty food, very tasty and a lot like the real thing. Shame only that the tuna salad isn't vegan. But I did find vegan tuna in the packaged frozen food section, which cannot be easily found elsewhere!

Not good for eating out! - Edit

We went there to get a vegan meal thinking this was an experienced and good place. We ordered a burger and a sandwich. To make the bueger vegan the buns were replaced by toast, which was quite lame. The steak and the 'cheese' was good but there was barely anything else in it, which made it a burger way bellow average. The sandwich was okay but small and the bread was dry and hard as stone.
absolutly not worth the money.

It seems like the place has good options in relations to substitute products which can be puechased at a fair price, but as a resturant it was not satisfactory.
Updated from previous review on Monday January 05, 2015

Pros: Good replacement products

Cons: Low quality food, Value for money

Vegetarian Butcher - Edit

We've wanted to come here ever since we first heard about them opening in The Hague years ago, so we were eager to have our lunch. Many of the meats behind the glass were actually vegetarian, not vegan, so our choices were somewhat limited although the deli menu is extensive. We settled on a meatball sandwich and a schnitzel sandwich, both served open face. They were quite tasty and I just wish it were all vegan as I wanted to try it all. We also tried some vegan cheese slices not available in the US and they had a good hard sliceable texture for sandwiches.

Pros: vegan meats and cheese, tasty sandwiches

Cons: not all vegan

Interesting Shop & Deli - Edit

Looks a little like a butcher shop but everything is vegetarian and most of it vegan.
At the counter you can get free samples to try the faux meats. They offer amongst other things Salads, Sandwiches and just "meat".
I had a great sandwich with "Teriyaki Chicken" at this Vegetarian Butcher.

Pros: nice, friendly staff, appearance, free samples

Cons: expensive

More than just a store.... more a deli/cafe - Edit

Had one of my most unique vegetarian experiences at De Vegetarische Slager. This establishment has a deli down one side. All the products in the glass front cabinet are vegan/vegetarian. Down the other side of the shop there are funky cafe style tables. A long table with chairs run along the front window facing onto the interesting street. Immaculately clean and stylish contemporary decor. They sell interesting vegetarian products and groceries. With the help of the friendly customer focussed waitress I selected some mock 'chicken' which she warmed for me and served on a plate with a fresh crusty roll, a selection of salads and a big smile... totally delicious experience.

Pros: Atmosphere, Food, Uniqueness

All depends on your taste - Edit

The very friendly staff of this shop found it very important to stress during my visit that these products are designed to have the same texture and taste as meat - there is a great, unique in the city, choice for those seeking imitation meats, but I would only recommend this place to anybody who knows that is exactly what they are looking for. There is no tofu, seitan etc, so it is not for everybody.

Pros: fully veggie, friendly staff

The Vegetarian Butcher, faux-pas - Edit

No animal blood in here just amazing mock meats, vegetarian and vegan foods and groceries. The main counter is the centrepiece where you can buy mock meats in either their original form or spiced up with sauces and marinades. An extensive freezer section holds many fantastic ranges of faux-flesh products such as schnitzels, burgers and sausages. Some vegans don't sit comfortably with stuff like this. Well that's up to them, they can miss out. I certainly aint missing this trick. This place has friendly passionate staff who will help you in your choice of the delights they have behind the big 'butcher's' counter. Free samples also available, just ask. They also sell a decent range of vegan wines including champagne and sparkly. We got our New Years's Eve 2013/14 food from here to take back to the hotel room after the festivities. Who would have thought the word vegetarian and slaughter being spoken in the same sentence. Come here and find out.

Pros: Faux-meats, friendly, extensive range

Cons: Expensive

Return to Amsterdam Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has CLOSED: De Vegetarische Traiteur closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.