de Peper

Contact 0204122954

Overtoom 301, Amsterdam, Netherlands, 1054HW

Not a restaurant but a non-subsidized project managed by volunteers, housed in a former squat with art exhibited on the walls. Offers one set meal with soup, priced on a sliding scale; has dessert. Self service. Food service is 7-8.30pm. Reservation taken same day only via phone 1-4pm. Tue 6:00pm-1:00am, Thu-Fri 6:00pm-1:00am, Sun 6:00pm-1:00am

Category: Vegan, International, Organic, Western, Beer/Wine, Dutch

First Review by heywood100

Love the place, love the food, love the people - Edit

de Peper is such a great concept with amazing food that is served for a very cheap price as the portions are HUGE! They only cater for a set amount of people so reservations must be made. I would go back every week if I could! Definitely make a visit!

Pros: Super cheap, Nice atmosphere, Huge portions

Alternative to another falafel - Edit

de Peper is more like a "Volkskeuken" (people's kitchen) than a restaurant. Based in a legalised squat, it's a nice mix of laid back atmosphere and good, simple, food.
Miso stew, bean stew and roasted veg are never going to win any culinary awards, but the food is well cooked, and the portions are hearty.
Music was a little loud for conversation, but we were sitting right under the speakers, and may not have been an issue in other parts of the dining room.

Pros: Honest food, well made, Pay what you can afford on sliding scale

Cons: Small range of drinks, and a fixed menu

For the Hip Alternative Crowd - Edit

I used to be a regular a few years ago and loved it. However, I was recently there and the portions are definitely smaller. It still has great flavor, but I used to like it better when the meal was more filling. That said, the staff is friendly, the place is really nice, with an amazing vibe. They have concerts sometimes, and it's a great place to hang out even when you are not eating. Great (cheap) beer as well! A great place to escape from the tourist traps!

Pros: great flavour, organic, friendly staff

Cons: might be hard to book (must call), small portions

Good food - Edit

First time i went i had the best lasagna ever! I like that it's inexpensive and a laid-back atmosphere. They also had a tiny give-away table, with clothing you could take with you for free. And next to the dining room there is a space where sometimes there's gigs or dj's. Great place!

Pros: Laid-back, Inexpensive

Unique, Fun, and Delicious Dining Experience - Edit

I'd never eaten at a "vegan collective" but was eager to try it after reading reviews here on happy cow. I did my best to follow the instructions and call between 4 and 6:30 to make a reservation, but I couldn't find a phone in time, so we just turned up around 7:15 (they open for dinner at 7pm) and hoped for the best. The woman said they had enough food and could squeeze us in. After asking if we knew how it worked (not really, we replied), she explained that the all-volunteer staff makes the food, we pay according to our ability (between 7 and 10 euro), and when we finish eating, we bus our own tables. OK! The atmosphere was relaxed and homey, with music thumping and people hanging out drinking and chatting on cozy couches and wood tables. Nice low lighting and interesting art on the walls. We paid for our meals, then got our soup and paid for our beer and wine (2.50 each; the wine was great and the beer was organic). The woman said she'd call us when the main course was ready. That night the soup was borscht; the main course was sushi (seitan/walnut--what a fabulous revelation!), served with roasted potatoes and a small salad. I loved the experience-- the food, ambiance, and novelty of it all. I also like supporting grass-roots cultural organizations, and really appreciated that De Peper is 100-percent vegan. I'd go back in a heartbeat and highly recommend it to others. In the hallway just before we left, there was a sign saying "free books--please take!" Rummaging through the stack, I found a brand-new and very popular vegan cookbook that I was happy to schlep home. Double score!

Pros: nice community vibe, tasty food, 100-percent vegan

Cons: Might be too "unique" for some

Really tasty and original, I will go again! - Edit

I went with 2 friends and we had a delicious pumpkin/coconut soup, e tasty and well presented original main course with rice, beans, tempura vegetables and a red sauce (probably made with beetroot and red wine), and a healthy-taste mouthwatering apple pie as a dessert! For soup and main course we donated between 7 and 10 euros, and the dessert is just €1.50!

Nice atmosphere and friendly staff, only cons is that the portions were not big enough at my advice, and we all felt still a bit hungry when we left the place.. but maybe it was just this time, I'll try it again soon anyway ;)

Pros: Tasty, Cheap, Cosy atmosphere

Cons: Modest portions

always tasty - Edit

It's always strange to think you need to make reservations with squatters, but ok, fine, they don't have tons of space, but it also means you need to know what you want for dinner at 4pm, so that can be a turn off. The food itself is always decent and tasty and pretty filling. Dessert is extra, but that means you can show up and just eat dessert or sit at the bar. The pay is sliding scale, 7-10 euro, which is more than MKZ at 5 euro but the food is of slightly higher quality and quantity. Tuesday night is also pingpong night which can be a fun outing.

Delicious meal in a cozy setting - Edit

We went here a Sunday night and although it was pretty busy it had a relaxed and cozy atmosphere. The meal was pretty varied and was quite a lot of food for the price. That night they served black beans, rice, pumpkin, salad and stir-fried bok choy. It was all really tasty. For dessert they had a heavenly hazelnut chocolate pie with a nice nutty crumb crust. We'll definitely go back again!

Pros: varied food, good value, funky atmosphere

Cons: hard to find, confusing

Lovely vegan evening - Edit

De peper is a restaurant in a squat that's 100% vegan and organic. It's not-for-profit and the staff are lovely.

The food was a little hit-or-miss, but never unpleasant- it was comforting, nutritious home cooking. The atmosphere and value-for-money more than made up for occasional blandness.

Had a great evening there and would recommend it to anyone seeking a unique experience!

Maybe next time - Edit

I guess this isn't a review per se, since we couldn't try the food. However, I consider appropriate to write my opinion, since I made the effort of finding the place. Firstly, the opening time registered here is wrong. We arrived there on a Tuesday around 22.00 expecting to be served still (since it's indicated here that food is served until 23.00) and the kitchen was already closed. One of the guys behind the bar was kind enough to offer me the leftovers free of charge. However, the person I came with needed a gluten free meal and had to check with him. After a visit to the kitchen, we had to leave because they didn't know what ingredients they used (?). Next time, perhaps.

For your info, de Peper is the first door on the left in the hall. If you keep walking, you will reach some sort of bar/ping-pong place full of smoke (tobacco smoke). Alas, it seemed to be quite the laid-back place.

Place note that my rating is based on this incomplete experience, so don't take the score too much in consideration.

Just what I was looking for - Edit

This place is great. Even though the menu is fixed, I enjoyed everything I ate.

That night, they were offering a fried butternut squash with veggies and roasted parsnips. The soup was potato and leek.

It was delicious and I'd go back again the next time I visit Amsterdam.

Be sure to make reservations though.

Pros: atmosphere, food

amazing - Edit

I loved it here, its cozy, friendly and the food was amazing. The "staff" didnt seem to care too much. We didnt have reservations but they were able to feed us anyways. They should have explained how the place worked to newcomers...obviously tourists. A really great option for fantastic vegan food.

Pros: excellent healthy and creative food, inexpensive, great atmosphere

Cons: servers didnt reall explain or do much

Excellent place - Edit

I must admit that, from my experience of eating with vegan squatters in the UK, I was expecting hearty but straightforward food from De Peper. It was surprising in a good way, therefore, to get a plate that wouldn't have disgraced more expensive restaurants in the city, with a range of healthy and tasty ingredients at a cheap price. The desert was also very nice, and the setting is an interesting place to visit. If you're a first-timer, it can be a little confusing to know what to do when you first arrive, but if you just head to the bar and tell them you have a reservation it all gets sorted out. Recommended.

Return to Amsterdam Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has de Peper closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 17779 times since Aug 2009.