De Oude Muntkelder

• Veg-friendly
Contact 030-231-67-73

Oudegracht aan de Werf 112, Utrecht, Netherlands, 3511AW

Serves meat, vegan options available. Pancake restaurant with vegan soy pancake choices. Located next to the water. Dine inside or outside.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, International, Beer/Wine, Non-veg

First Review by CJBurgemeester

Pancakes! - Edit

Typical dutch pancakes at a nice location.
They don't have vegan options on the menu but you can ask them to make your pancake with soy milk!
I also recommend having some sweet toppings like apple, pineapple or raisins. Just ask the waiter, they get requests for custom pancakes all the time I believe.

Don't expect anything fancy though. They have salads on the menu and stuff but really, all you want is one pancake covered in syrup and other sweet toppings :)

Pros: Nice staff, Location

Change in the menucard - Edit

I always really enjoy the vegan pancake with apple and raisins at De Oude Muntkelder! The last time I was there, I noticed that they have a new menu card. In this new menu card the vegan pancakes aren't mentioned. You can still order them though: just ask the waiters!

Pros: friendly staff, nice location, nice food

Cons: vegan not shown in menu card

Forgettable - Edit

The restaurant looks interesting and it's great that they have a vegan option. Not so great that they charge extra for it. The service was nothing special either.
Edible sure but there are better options.

Pros: Vegan option in traditional restaurant

Cons: Expensive , Poor service

Don't waste your money - Edit

We love pancakes, so reading there was a place serving vegan ones; we had to try. Unfortunately the pancakes were totally bland. I didn't got what I had ordered but at that point the waitress had already been to the kitchen reluctantly checking if they could make their salad with oil and vinegar; but no; the dressing is not vegan and therefore you can't have the salad. So pancakes only; fine, I thought. But it tasted like the chef cared as much as the waitress: not at all! I didn't even eat half of mine and even my everything-vegan-eating husband didn't care to finish it. Don't waste your money. As a side note: Utrecht was really hard for vegan food, go to Amsterdam instead :-)

tasteless - Edit

I was very pleased to find a pancakerestaurant that serves vegan pancakes. Vegan is explicitly named as option on the menu, they know what it means. I choosed a version with tomatoes, mushrooms and onions and was very disappointed. The pancake was not bad but it was completely tasteless. We suggested to add salt and sundried tomatoes for vegans to it next time.
I think that if you choose a sweet version the taste will be much better because you can add syrop to it. I strongly advise every vegan to take a sweet pancake!
Updated from previous review on Saturday June 20, 2015

Pros: nice accomodation

Cons: tasteless

vegan pancakes - Edit

This restaurant has vegan pancakes available. You need to ask for it, as it's not on their menu. In the center of Utrecht, near the water, this is a very nice place to go.

Because of your special request, keep in mind that your order will take a little longer than the regular pancakes. Just enjoy the view of the boats sailing by.

Pros: customer friendly, multiple vegan options available

Cons: preparation time little longer

Return to Utrecht Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has De Oude Muntkelder closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 2047 times since Jun 2013.