De Krewelligen Bidet

Sint-Katelijnestraat 72, Mechelen, Belgium, 2800

Casual fast food restaurant est. 2016. Makes food in-house, including the sauces, falafel, doner, burgers, chips, and plat du jour. Food is vegan except when noted otherwise. Open Thu-Sat 6:00pm-10:00pm, Sat 12:00pm-2:00pm, Sun 6:00pm-9:00pm.

Categories: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Western, Buffet, Mediterranean, Fast food, Beer/Wine, Take-out, European

First Review by Griet

Affordably delectable - Edit

From their quirky name to their tasty dishes, I really enjoyed my culinary experience at De Krewelligen Bidet. I have never eaten so fancy for so lil' money. Most vegan places offer food at a higher cost than the 'regular' variants. This definitely wasn't the case here. Some things were surprisingly inexpensive.
I like that they offer vegan versions of popular street food in Belgium as well as a couple of people's favourites you wouldn't ordinarily find in a street food venue. They fill up a hole in the market.
The atmosphere is nice, welcoming and down to earth. Their approach is outside the box.
Also the hospitality is remarkable. We had a talk with one of the owners and if you're looking for a genuine, heartfelt yet witty conversation, this is where it's at.

Updated from previous review on 2017-05-10

Pros: Great price for great food, Nice menu, Outstandingly welcoming hospitality

Delicious vegan and vegetarian comfort food! - Edit

I've been here a couple of times now. I keep coming back because the food here is just really good at excellent prices!
Everything I've tried on the menu I really enjoy, especially the goulash and the durum falafel. And of course the vegan chocolate cake!
There's exactly one single option that's vegetarian, all the rest is completely, absolutely vegan. So vegans really do have enough choice (I'm vegan myself).
And the owners are passionate about their bussiness and very friendly and welcoming!
Just go! :D

Pros: Delicious food, Lots of vegan choices (basically the whole menu), Great prices

Tasty and affordable - Edit

Nice food! We tried the goulash dish and the bidet special dish: great. We got a lot of food for a VERY reasonable price. Very tasty fries made of unpeeled potatoes. Lovely herb sauce.
It is a fastfoodrestaurant / snackbar but the decoration with even candles on the table is nice and not fastfoodrestaurant-y.
Very friendly owners.
You HAVE to try the chocolate cake: heavenly taste! Among the best chocolate cakes (even non vegan) I ever ate.
The only thing I can hope for is an all vegan menu (the vol au vent dish is vegetarian). But in the meantime: keep up the good work :-)

Updated from previous review on 2017-01-22

Pros: Price, Friendly staff / owners, Food itself

Cons: not 100 % vegan

Hooray - Edit

As a vegan in Mechelen i was so happy to discover this place, perfect for those nights when i'm craving yummy fast food. I went twice, first time we got a vöner plate and falafel plate, the homemade falafel was super tasty, and for 10 euros you really do get enough (and i'm a big eater).
The homemade sauces are great as well, my favorites are the tahin and tartaar (honorable mention goes to the "cheese" sauce).
Second time around i got a Burger, which i found very tasty and somehow extremely filling. Definitely worth checking out if you are in the neighborhood.

Pros: Great value, Very nice owners

Great place for Veggies + Vegans - Edit

This is such an oasis for those who don't fancy eating meat for an evening meal or lunch. The vegan goulash dish is delicious the chips/fries are to die for! In fact all dishes served here are very tasty satisfying. They do takeaways too! Very nice friendly service, good value for money. Highly recommended! Lucky Mechelaars!

tasty Vöner, falafel and more - Edit

Vöner is kebab-like stuff, it is roasted and tastes wonderful. I tried it once in Berlin, never thought I was going to find it in my hometown. The owners of the K. Bidet drove to Berlin to get some of this Vöner stuff!
All their food is homemade, I recommend their fries, falafel, veganaise and vol-au-veggie (the latter being the only dish with milk)
Prices are around 6 euros for a snack (bread or durum) and a plate cost around 10 euros, a bargain if you now everything is made from scratch

Pros: price /quality, they sell the real vöner!

Cons: 99% vegan ;-)

Return to Mechelen Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has De Krewelligen Bidet closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.