De Hummus House - Sint Antoniesbreestraat

Contact 0203417118

Sint Antoniesbreestraat 25C, Amsterdam, Netherlands, 1011vHB

A hummus restaurant, opened Jun 2015. Makes everything fresh each day. Offers hummus and pita, also Mediterranean dishes like labaneh, shakshuka and sahleb. Open Mon-Sun 12:00pm-10:00pm.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Mediterranean, Middle Eastern

First Review by KayKrijnen

Divine aubergine - Edit

Great place with loads of vegan dishes. Everything homemade on the spot, the friendly staff is constantly cooking. Super tasty and fresh! For a snack-bar setting the pricing is above average, but the quality of the food is well above regular restaurant level. I have not tried everything yet, since I usually just can not resist the divine roasted aubergine: 2 aubergines with 2 pita and salad for less the 10 Euro. If you replace the salad with a bowl of humus you are stuffed for just 10 Euro.

Updated from previous review on 2017-01-20

Pros: Excellent quality/price & super fresh, No meat, little cheese, Location: very close to Nieuwmarkt

Cons: Small snackbar setting, Can temporary run out of dishes, Pickwick tea.. (better stick with fresh mint)

That Makes my Motor Run - Edit

This is the original Hummus House just off Nieuwmarkt serving quite sensational hummus with gorgeous optional toppings such as grilled aubergine or spicy chick peas. I'd like to point out that they don't serve alcohol here as at the sister branch near Leidseplein. I do usually enjoy a glass of wine with my lunch when on holiday, but it's not essential. For €6.99 you'll get a fabulous house hummus with additional toppings at €2.50. A truly good hummus house at Amsterdam prices.

Pros: Location, Vegan options, Free wifi

Cons: Soft drinks or hot drinks only

Nice but... - Edit

Nice little restaurant with friendly staff and good food. In my opinion it's a bit overpriced, after all what I had was one baked aubergine for more than 10 euro.

Pros: Vegan options , Delicious food , Friendly

Cons: Expensive for what you have

Delicious - Edit

If you are vegan, get the stuffed vine leaves! Also the pitta bread is more like pizza dough bread, get some of that!!

Pros: amazing bread , free wifi , delicious sauce

Cons: bit pricey, not a lot of options if you don't like hummus

Delish! - Edit

This is a really nice little place for a quick but good meal. We found the pricing just right; a tip is to order one serving of hummus and order a bunch of toppings as tapas. This cost us €20 for 2 persons foodwise. The hummus wasn't that special in our opinion, but oh my, the tapas were sooo good! Friendly staff as well.

Pros: Quick, Delicious tapas, Friendly staff

Cons: Small restaurant, a bit of a fastfood-feel

Sweet staff - Edit

The kitchen opened up again just before closing, the (friendly) staff was tired of working all day but still willing to put down a good meal. The hummus was tasteful but maybe a little pricey.

Not as good as I expected - Edit

I had lunch there my first day in Amsterdam and I found the place quite expensive compared to the quality of food they serve. The rest of the week I eat a lot better in other places for the same price. The hummus was ok, but the pita bread not so much. I also ordered the oven-baked vegetables, which I didn't like at all and I don't recommend. The service was very nice and friendly and the place is dog-friendly.

Pros: The service is very friendly

Good quality hummus and spicy toppings - Edit

Editing from previous review as I honestly cannot remember why I was not happy with the portion sizes! This is a convenient, informal eatery, which has 5 vegetarian items with the rest being vegan (and staff can advise on what is or isn't either of these), and great tasting hummus, tahini, aubergine...etc etc. It is nice to see salads in a more fast-foody type place, though ordering specific toppings rather than having a topping/salad bar does put the price up as others have said. The basic hummus dish consists of a bowl of the dip plus a topping, two pita breads, a few olives and a selection of spicy sauces. A few non-hummus mains are also offered, as are a range of drinks - I recommend the Turkish coffee. Just remember that it is only possible to pay with cash, V-pay or Maestro - no Visa or Mastercard.

Pros: location, fully veg

Cons: a little expensive

Great hummus & delicious toppings - Edit

The hummus tastes very well and they have delicious toppings, however they are a little bit expensive.
Individually I think that there's less space in the restaurant and you're not seated very well.

Great hummus! - Edit

I really like this place to sit down, but they also have delivery. It's good hummus and lots of nice toppings - hard to choose! - and freshly baked pitas. Also tried some other dishes and those were really nice as well. Lots of vegan options, and I'd always choose this restaurant over the other hummus places in Amsterdam simply because I rather support veg places than meat-serving ones. Staff is also nice.

Pros: Good food, Lots of vegan options

Cons: Some portions are small

very nice - Edit

Good place. I had the choice of three tapas and chose grilled veg, aubergine and guacamole. I had done pitta on the side. It was really tasty.
My boyfriend had the hummus and mushrooms and he enjoyed his too. Very filling. At first seems pricy but when you see the amount and feel full after its quite reasonable. Casual seating, friendly service

Pros: good location , great food

Cons: none

Lovely Hummus - Edit

The hummus is great here, the menu is small and simple but really good - lots of vegan choices but please tell them you're vegan otherwise there may be cream involved.

Pros: Hummus

Cons: Watch out for cream

best hummous in Amsterdam - Edit

We were in Amsterdam for 2 days and had lunch in De Hummus House twice. The hummous is really good and comes with self-made pita bread. It is a bit plain but can be ordered with toppings. The second day, we had the oven-baked vegetables which I cannot recommend enough and wine leaves. We also ordered mushrooms from their wide range of tapas which were delicious as well. The more toppings you add the more expensive it becomes but all in all, the prices are quite moderate. For a lunch for 2 people, you could expect €30.

Pros: most options are vegan, very friendly staff, price

Cons: some drinks on the menu were not in stock

Eat Hummus, Be Happy : ) - Edit

By chance, my husband and I visited the "Hummus House" during our stay in Amsterdam last weekend. Actually, I fell in love with their food, so I insisted on going there again 2 days later!

The hummus comes with 2 fresh pita-breads, pickles and 2 different sauces; you can also order different toppings like Champignons, eggplant, guacamole, fava-beans etc.

The dishes were excellent and plenty, enough to keep you satisfied & happy for hours.

If you are tired of hummus, there are a lot of other options, for example ovenbaked vegetables, couscous, salads, soup, desserts ...
We also enjoyed some fresh mint tea and turkish coffee.

I will definitely come again.

Pros: Delicious, fresh food, Very nice, mindful staff, inexpensive, clean, welcoming

Return to Amsterdam Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has De Hummus House - Sint Antoniesbreestraat closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.