DAS Ethiopian

Contact 202-333-4710

1201 28th St NW (at M St, Washington D.C.), Washington, District Of Columbia, USA, 20007

Serves meat, vegan options available. Ethiopian food typically offers some vegan suitable choices. Under the vegetarian section, all dishes without cheese are vegan and the ones with cheese can possibly be made vegan; ask your server. White tablecloth set-up. Mon-Sun 11:00am-11:00pm

Category: Beer/Wine, Delivery, Take-out, Catering, Ethiopian, African, Non-veg

First Review by cookiem

great tasting vegan options - Edit

I was a bit concerned at first about accurate the vegan options would be. But they pass my vegan inquiry and understanding quiz. The flavors r great. The service is great. And the experience new and different. I recommend the vegan sampler plate.

Interesting and unique experience - Edit

Absolutely delicious. The pricing of items are quite odd, as a sharing platter which can feed up to three people is priced reasonably, but for a bowl of spicy lentils at nearly $9 doesn't quite add up.
The mushroom starter was lovely. And yes, by the way, there is no cutlery, the experience is hands on, you eat by using this type of bread to grab the ingredients, but can be an issue if some ingredients are like liquid.
Also, do not forget your ID, as I haven't been asked for my identification in years, I completely forgot and I'm nearly 30.
Had a lovely cinnamon vanilla rooibos tea to finish.
The ambiance is very relaxing, could easily lay back for hours at this place and the staff are very friendly.

Pros: Delicious food, Caring staff, Ambiance

Cons: Don't forget your ID even if you're 30+, For people who like cutlery, it's not for you

Vegan-friendly not wallet-friendly - Edit

I'm the first to jump for joy for Ethiopian food - the delightful vegan-friendly fare of stewed veggies and legumes scooped out atop a fully injera-coated platter and served with more injera on the side. However, I am not enthusiastic about prices for a vegetarian sampler that nearly double the standard price around town. I will add that this restaurant must keep up with the proverbial Joneses, so because of the GTown location, rent may be higher, expectations snobbier and more attention needed overall to ambiance, but does that justify the price: flavor ratio? I am not sure.

The food tastes good, but it does not excel above any other place I can think of. The menu is clearly marked for veg*n choices, and unlike any other Ethiopian venue around town, they advertise and have cauliflower. Still, I don't feel the need to trek out here again just for the Ethiopian when for about half the price, I can get better food with larger portions.

If you want to impress out of town guests who have high standards for linens and Western-style decor, ok, I guess this is for you.

If you have a budget and are hungry, this place is probably best avoided.

Pros: Cauliflower, Well-marked menu, Table presentation/ ambiance

Cons: Small portions, High prices

Return to Washington Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has DAS Ethiopian closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 1118 times since Jan 2014.