CLOSED: DAO of Life

• ( 35 reviews )

Serendipity Beach Rd, Sihanoukville, Cambodia, 18000

Vega restaurant at Serendipity Pier, on the 2nd floor with ocean view. Offers a menu of soups, salads, daily specials, all-day breakfast, cocktails. Uses nut based milks or fresh coconut milk in the drinks and ice cream. Kitchen closes 9:30pm. Est. 2014 on Ekareach St and moved here in 2016. Reported closed, Apr 2018.

Categories: Vegan, Western, Juice bar, Beer/Wine, Asian, Fusion, Breakfast

First Review by RenkeFlexanist

MikiBenMaimon

Points +34

30 Mar 2018

אחלה אוכל

מסעדה חמודה, דונאטס טעים רצח מפוצץ בקרם וניל. הסלט קוקוס וסלט מודר אירס גם מומלץ. הציפס בטטה לא להיט.

Pros: המון. טבעוני לחלוטין.

Cons: יקר

AshaFuller

Points +26

09 Mar 2018

amazinggg

i don’t think i’ve ever written a review before but i felt compelled after my meal - that’s how good it was. there are so many options to choose from and you really can’t go wrong with anything. i had the veggie burger with sweet potato fries and both were outstanding (cashew cheese on the burger was to die for). they also had a vegan cream donut for dessert and i couldn’t help but try it but i’m glad i did because it put non vegan ones to shame. prices are higher than the local food (obvi) but in my opinion it was completely worth it as it was up to standards if not beyond by normal vegan places in Seattle. go there you won’t be disappointed!

Pros: delicious food and many options, cute place, good location , good service

Cons: absolutely nada

Sundal

Points +77

23 Feb 2018

our local

We ate here countless times over the 4 months we lived in shk and the food was always excellent. Sometimes in the evening when it was quiet the place lacked atmosphere- a few tealight candles dotted around and some music could sort that out. A couple of times we had some minor service issues (like our dessert being brought before we'd finished our main) and i would recommend to avoid Neepa's Chai as its just watery milk w some spices and not a proper chai at all. Other than that, the rest of the menu is excellent and the place is absolutely beautiful, esp during the day- very bohemian w gorgeous textiles. They also have a swap shop where we picked up a gorgeous beret, a vintage japanese kimono and dropped off all our unwanted clothes before we left town. Will miss this place!

Pros: gorgeous decor, swap shop, amazing menu

Cons: some service issues, could do with some music in t

vegatleticas

Points +392

22 Feb 2018

Our highlight of Sihanoukville

All the food we tried at DAO of life was delicious (we visited 3 times). The service was great too! The only problem being that on the occasion they don't have electricity you can't order from most of the menu. Don't let this deter you however, we're sure whatever you do order will be presented beautifully and taste great. Try the veggie burger, the dollar pancakes, vegan doughnut, the hummus, even their avo on toast was particularly delicious (although we subbed the spinach for tomato, a request which they were more than happy to accommodate). On the rare chance that we would visit Sihanoukville again, this would be our first stop.

Pros: Delicious food, Great service, Great relaxed vibe

Cons: When power is out most items on menu are unavailab

danielpoland

Points +384

21 Feb 2018

Food is ok but overpriced

There is no choice in Sihanoukville especially on evening. Place is nice, staff friendly, food good (European) but... very small portions and too expensive. For example for 1 small donut you have to pay 5 USD.

Pros: vegan food

Cons: Expensive

dista

Points +34

15 Feb 2018

really nice food

I went there with my non vegan friends and we all enjoined our food. The cafe is located on the upper floor and you have to walk through the restaurant on the lower level to make it to the right place. I ordered the choc banana smoothie and the sweet potato burger and it was all very delicious.

Darrenp

Points +102

14 Feb 2018

Great food

This place has great food but it is expensive by Cambodian standards. We ate there twice and had lots of things off the menu; it was all delicious. Well worth it as a treat before or after going to the islands

Pros: Vegan cream filled doughnuts

Cons: expensive

LukeElliott

Points +28

10 Feb 2018

Violently Sick!!

I went with my girlfriend and have been travelling Asia for 2 months. This is the first place I got very sick. I had the avacado salad! I won’t be going back.. very disappointed. I wanted to give 0 stars but it wouldn’t let me

juliaaaa

Points +33

17 Jan 2018

Cute and has different choices of vegan food

It even has a little shop. The food is Great but is quite expensive.

CarolineJoana

Points +128

06 Jan 2018

small portion for the price

Just next to the pier, you need to cross a restaurant and go up the stairs, cosy place.
Food taste really good but it’s pricy for the portion you get.
I had the avocado and spinach toast (very tasty) and the Sweet&Sour tamarin juice ( fresh and surprise good combo).

Pros: tasty food, cosy place

Cons: pricy for the portion you get

Anouk1121

Points +157

18 Dec 2017

Amazing breakfast

I ordered a smoothie and the pancakes. The portion was kinda small compared to the price, but really delicious. The venue is beautiful and the view is amazing!

Natashasusan

Points +111

16 Dec 2017

Fabulous vegan food!! healthy and delicious!

Beautiful view of the ocean, great service and chill atmosphere.

lenabodil

Points +20

26 Nov 2017

good food, good price and nice staff.

We hade been in Asia for a month when we eat at DAO. And this is the best place so far for us. We had the burger and falafel and it was delicious. And the price is low compared to the others vegan-resturants we been to. Nice staff as well.

Pros: good food, good price

jimnoc

Points +48

20 Oct 2017

Probably the best place in Sihanoukville, but still...

I liked the place itself, it's above another restaurant (which you have to go through to get to the stairs), it's cosy and comfy. On the downside, the smell from downstairs - grilled fish and meat - sometimes gets up to you.The food itself was good. We had the quite expensive burger: 6$ is a lot in Cambodia and the burger was like most food in the country a small portion.I guess it's still the best option in Sihanoukville!

Mike Munsie

Points +3300

15 Sep 2017

upstairs vegan cafe with sea views

DAO is next to the jetty at Sihanoukville above another restaurant (of an evening you walk past displays of various dead things) ... DAO has a nice selection of reasonably priced vegan food (its not Street food) ... this morning I had a delicious mad monk smoothie (US$2.50) and this evening I called in for a coconut milk latte (US$2.50) and a tasty veggie burger (US$6) ... breakfast today mad monk smoothie and spinach and avocado toast (US$4.00) ... fifth visit I had the delicious morning starter (US$3.50) with double espresso coffee (US$1.75) ... the staff are very friendly, helpful and attentive ... DAO has a very nice view and great vibe ... free wifi

Pros: vegan cafe

Cons: evening walk of death downstairs

samsara

Points +81

03 Aug 2017

Dao

Sweet potato were undercooked, far to be crispy not salted at all, served with liquid tzatziki and a kind of prune jam not mentioned on menu. Salad was over dressed, hummus of my friend was flat and over-covered with lime juice.
[edit by staff - see ToS]

phoebewyatt

Points +90

13 May 2017

Amazing cake

Next door to the ferry, it was amazing food and such a nice place to relax. I had the banana bread which was delicious, the staff were so sweet and helpful!

Mitjacinda

Points +285

02 May 2017

Taste would be 5*

The taste was really good and innovative and the location was nice (could be loud because of fireworks at the beach) nevertheless the portion are not filling and the dishes are expensive.
Furthermore the staff was not friendly ( maybe she had a bad day)

Pros: delicious food, good atmosphere

Cons: expensive, not filling , loud, unfriendly staff

RebeccaFinn

Points +24

20 Apr 2017

Great cafe!

Lovely food, friendly staff atmospheric setting. Got to try a free taster of pizza which was great. Good location by the pier

FlorenceGS

Points +698

16 Mar 2017

Lovely food a bit pricey

As coming to the end of our travels we did find this one a bit pricey. I had a cous cous salad and it was just cous cous and lettuce and although it tasted good it was a bit expensive for what it was. The sweet potato fries were divine and the humus was very good

Pros: Sea views , Fully vegan , Lovely staff

Cons: A bit on the pricey side

sydneyhumble

Points +100

17 Feb 2017

Good food, nice atmosphere

The food is very very good. The burger was amazing and the bowls were good. The smoothies leave something to be desired however. Very watery for the high prices. Boast a lot of superfoods but are very watered down. Very nice atmosphere with music and ocean. The staff is very nice and the food is made very thoughtfully (which can mean a longer wait). Good wifi and very Central. Good place to hang out if you have a bit bigger budget.

Updated from previous review on 2017-02-16

Pros: Great food , Nice staff , Nice atmosphere

Cons: Pricey, Watery smoothies , Uncomfortable chairs

Paula_YouKnowWho

Points +88

08 Jan 2017

worth going

I found this place next to the pier (happy cow). I really had to go in and try their burger (6 $) and chocolate smoothie (2,50 $). Both was delicious and also the atmosphere in that place was awesome with its view over the ocean and relaxing music. The only problem is that it's not really in the budget of a backpacker. That's why I didn't try some other things that sounded worth coming back.

Pros: good (western) food, nice location, lovely staff/owner

Cons: expensive

rups22

Points +184

03 Nov 2016

excellent

Best burger we've had in a while
Delicious falafel salad
Nice atmosphere. Chilled

Woitel

Points +28

09 Sep 2016

New Location

This Restaurant is in a new location:
Serendipity Road, Sihanoukville near by Sakal Guesthouse.

Nfehon

Points +32

04 Aug 2016

Chilled space, great food.

Cheap, tasty food. A really cool place to sit back and relax. Play board games, read books, they have handmade jewellery for sale and a swap&shop space for clothes. Great staff.

Pros: Good vibe, Pancakes, Staff were lovely.

taeb31

Points +120

09 Jul 2016

Must visit for all vegans visiting Sihanoukville

100% vegan place with top quality ingredients and great meals. sure, it's a little pricey (compared to local restaurants) but it's definitely worth it. you can get a decent meal for about 5 dollars. over my stay, i tried veggie mix with cashew nuts, veggie burger and some ice cream with chocolate chunks. everything was top-notch. the place has a great energy, some books for you to read, swap shop and very friendly and helpful staff.

Pros: Quality of food, Energy and design, Staff

Fairbridge

Points +225

30 Jun 2016

Cant get enough

My wife and I went to Dao three times during our stay, and enjoyed everything we tried.
Some of the dishes we had included the raw chocolate cheesecake, chocolate chip peanut butter ice cream, inti bowl, stacked pancakes, cheesy Nachos, Cacao banana smoothie, beet carrot juice, and the Indian hummus which is served hot.

The staff is very helpful and friendly. They speak English well and are able to accommodate your dietary restrictions.

Pros: All vegan, tasty, plenty of options

Cons: food is slow to arrive

Return to Sihanoukville Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has DAO of Life closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.