First Review by Stevie

I Have No Plans to Return to Damodara - Edit

I have no plans to return to Damodara. When I visited, the service was rather unfriendly, and as it was explained to me, there is only one item on the menu that is vegan... a bowl of cabbage. I managed to convince myself that it was worth trying. It wasn't. It was a bowl of cabbage. I won't be back.

Updated from previous review on 2016-11-17

One of My Favorites - Edit

Dnepr is not known for vegan food.. but Damodara makes up for that. Krishna food at it's finest. Try the triple burger or the soup. All items on the menu are great, vegan or vegetarian. Ginger tea is awesome.

Pros: Price, Food, Burgers , Location

Cons: When busy, expect waiting

The second Indian style - Edit

There are two Indian style restaurant. This has better location thinking of the very city centre but the other one, Govinda's, has nicer atmosphere and friendlier service, also better tasting food according to my own experience and the word of mouth amongst the local veggie folks that I have been talking to.

The place seems to be understaffed whenever there will be more than 5 persons ordering food at the same time. that may be the reason for a bit grumpy impression that the staff gives. But food is still okay and they will serve you after a little or more wait. They have some vegan options but not too many.

Cons: grumpy service, plain taste, long waiting times

Damodara, Dnipropetrovsk - Edit

I have just eaten here. It is a Hare Krishna type eatery. I asked what was vegan and was given a choice of 3 dishes on the menu, namely the dal soup, the salad with French dressing and the chick pea flour balls with rice. In my negotiation with the waitress, at one point it looked like 1 or 2 of the samosas were to be given the thumbs up but there was some sort of problem with them so I was told it was the 2 dishes listed above or nothing - everything else is geared towards lacto vegetarians.

My lasting memory of this place is how unhappy and unfriendly the waitress was. I tried to have a good run through of the menu with her trying to explore possible options. There's a while bunch of paneer dishes on there, there was no attempt on her part to present any sort of a vegan friendly non paneer option such as the veg kebab that is on the menu. The waitress isn't the most cheerful person I have ever encountered but she was able to direct me to the milk and cheese free items on the menu. I really want to support this eatery, at least if for no other reason than the limited choice of alternatives in Ukraine. With the experience I have just had though, that isn't easy.

There is an English menu available on request. Location is central near the Moct City Centre shopping centre. It is inexpensive. Less than 40 grevny to eat through the entire vegan menu of the restaurant. I also have no complaints with the cleanliness although I haven't used the loo.

Despite the limitations of this place, if you are in town then I strongly suggest that you make the most of this place. If you are lacto veggie then there is plenty of choice. If you are vegan veggie the choice is much more limited but at least you can eat with a good level of confidence that what you are eating is genuinely vegan vego.

Pros: 3 vegan dishes available (better than 0), Inexpensive, English menu

Cons: Not the happiest waitress, Limited for vegan vegos, Still not the happiest waitress

Return to Dnipropetrovsk Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Damodara closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 914 times since Nov 2009.