First Review by beancurdled

Don't miss the vendors! - Edit

I ate at one of the Com Chay stalls, and it was pretty good, but pretty typical and maybe a little more expensive than comparable places outside Da Lat (30k instead of 15-25k).

But my favorite was the "Dau Hu" vendors outside! They move around so you have to look, but they sell this smooth, hot, silken tofu with sweet ginger marmalade and coconut cream. It's so good! Was about 7k (usually 5k outside Da Lat and other touristy places). There is also at least one street vendor I saw selling sticky rice with peanuts and coconut, etc. The area around the main market, extending down to the water is filled with street vendors... definitely worth wandering around and finding the vegan ones. :)

Whoa veggie options!! - Edit

I could only spot 3 Com Chay places, but wow, what a concentration of vegetarian food stands!

Thanh Dam had a pretty extensive selection of mock meats and vegetables. I had the rice plate for 20 000 VND and the soup that came with it was pretty delicious compared to other Buddhist places. They also had huge bao (steamed buns) filled with mock meat and vegetables for 10 000 VND. I ended up taking out a bun and another rice plate for dinner.

I'll try out the other ones over the next few days and write some more reviews.

Pros: Great variety, Great value

Cons: Noisy, Not the cleanest place

Thanh Dam - Edit

When we were here, I'm pretty sure there were only 2 com chay stalls on the second floor of the market. We noticed another where the "chay" on the sign had been covered and they now serve meat.

Enter the at opposite end of the market to the roundabout and walk through the stalls selling delicious looking fresh veggies and legumes, then take the stairs up to the second floor. The stall that caught our eye immediately was directly at the top of the stairs - Thanh Dam.

The lovely woman who was working there gave us her card. As well as com, she does various varieties of noodles, apparently. She spoke exceptionally good English. We enjoyed a variety of different dishes from her buffet. It'd be impossible to get through all of them in one meal. My favourites were the jackfruit curry, battered eggplant, and a tofu fritter type thing. My partner raved about the fake chicken drumstick wrapped around a lemongrass stalk. We got some crispy seaweed and soy protein snacks to go as well.

Be prepared for a bunch of people to stop and ask you for money if you sit here. Maybe make sure you have plenty of small change in your wallet. Or a steely resolve not to give away any of your precious cash.

This has been among my favourite com chay in Vietnam. Unlike some of the others, all the dishes here were quite rich with robust flavours. Looking forward to eating here again at least once before we leave Da Lat.

UPDATE: After a second visit, I discovered there are more vegetarian stalls in the market - if you come up the stairs and you're facing Thanh Dam, there are two more directly to your right in the corner and another right over the other side, diagonally opposite Thanh Dam. That said, I never ate at any of the others!

Updated from previous review on Friday March 06, 2015

Amanda Panda 29 Aug 2015 - Thank you for your very informative reviews of vegetarian restaurants in DaLat. Your comments are very helpful and I always look for your reviews first. Keep up the good work and I look forward to reading more. Cheers

Return to Da Lat Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Da Lat Market closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.