Currant Affairs

• Veg Shop Veg Shop
Contact 0116-2510887

9a Loseby Lane, Leicester, England, LE1 5DR

Small, well-stocked fully vegan wholefood shop with take-away food counter. The takeaway counter has a selection of freshly-made filled bread rolls, sandwiches, cakes, pasties, flans, and quiches. The shop sells a variety of groceries including flour, pasta, nuts, seeds, pulses, jars and canned food. Has a fridge for cold drinks, one for chilled food such as yoghurt (including soya yoghurts), hummous, spreads, tofu, veggie sausages; and a freezer with Frys products, Clives Pies, and other manufacturers of vegetarian foods, a few lollies and ice creams in summer. Some gluten free options. Supports local suppliers. Open .

First Review by dropscone

Great store with lots of vegan take-away items! - Edit

This store was SO helpful during my recent trip to Leicester. It is in a good central location downtown, and the staff is very friendly.

My partner and I got some refrigerated foods and take-away items to eat at our Air B&B and to take with us on our travels back to Canada. The prices were very fair, and all of the take-away food in the front window is vegan! They have both savoury and sweet take-away goodies, and all of them are made in-house (with the exception of the Indian samosas).

We also got some candies and chocolates that we can't find over here in North America, so those were exciting treats as well.

All in all, this is a really great place with lots of delicious food! The only downside is that they don't sell fresh produce (but the Leicester Market is just around the corner).

Pros: delicious food, good value, great for take-out

Cons: no fresh produce

lovely find - Edit

Another lovely vegan find in Leicester, really friendly and knowledgeable team. Lots of take away options, and good stock of different items to try.

Pros: take away vegan pizza!

Lots of vegan takeaway goodies! - Edit

I wish I wish I wish I had a Currant Affairs where I'm from in Swansea!! When I find myself wandering around, peckish and looking for something quick, cheap and good quality.. Currant Affairs would be just what I need!
During a recent trip to Leicester we came across this sweet little wholefoods shop in the independent shopping area of Leicester (which also happened to be the best part of Leicester) and we were landed with all the vegan choice that was on offer! When I managed to single something out of the many tempting options I had a small (about 5" wide) vegan pizza and the apricot slice, both of which I thoroughly enjoyed.
There is also a good choice of wholefood items inside, and the staff are really friendly.
The only thing that would make this place better is if they could offer to warm up the takeaway snacks like the pasties, pizzas and samosas in a microwave or something, but that really is the only thing!

Pros: Big choice of vegan takeaway, Friendly staff, Good location

Cons: Don't be so far away from me!!

Brilliant vegan takeaway products - Edit

The health food part of the store is quite small, but still stocks a really great range of products. The takeaway foods are amazing though. Lots of them are vegan and include sandwiches, cakes and pasties. The staff are really nice and helpful too. If only every town had a place like this. I can't recommend it enough.

Pros: Friendly staff, Vegan cakes!, Good range

My favourite local shop! - Edit

I was surprised this wasn't listed on Happy Cow already so I submitted the info, hope it's okay to do a review as well...

I regularly go to this place for a take away lunch or to pick up wholefood staples such as fruit, beans and nuts (or perhaps a cheeky bar of chocolate). They often seem to get new products in to try out, and staff are friendly and helpful.

If you're going to get lunch from the counter my recommendations are the Mexican pasty (spicy beans and veg in tomato sauce in puff pastry), and the chocolate coated flapjack, which seems to contain a lot more interesting things than flapjacks normally do, such as coconut and dried fruit. The chocolate triangle cake is really good too, unfortunately for me that's not always vegan as they make it from the ends of the other cakes they've made, and have to save up enough vegan cake before a batch gets made.

I also like the cauliflower and potato pasties they do, and the tomato and garlic sos-rolls provided they're warm, as well as the falafel rolls with hummous and salad, or the nut burger rolls. The samosas seem to go down very well with a lot of people.

They're closed for the next couple of days for redecoration, and I've just passed by at gone 9pm, and the proprietor was still painting away, how's that for dedication? I think they'll be re-open from 24 March 2011.

Pros: Friendly staff, Well stocked for size of shop, Tasty take-away food

Cons: Sometimes crowded at busy times

Return to Leicester Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Currant Affairs closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 1359 times since Mar 2011.