Cumen Cumen Recoleta

• Bakery Bakery

Chain of empanaderias (empanada bakeries). Offers 2 or 3 vegan suitable empanadas plus others with cheese. Accepts only MasterCard. Delivery available. NOTE: Nov 2016 reported may use animal fat in dough - please verify and let Happy Cow know. Open Mon-Sun 11:00am-3:00pm, Mon-Thu 7:00pm-11:00pm, Fri-Sat 7:00pm-12:00am, Sat-Sun 12:00am-12:00am, Sun 7:00pm-11:00pm.

First Review by Oisin

They have no vegan options - Edit

Went there yesterday and asked for vegan options, seemed the staff didn't even knew what vegan was, as she replied that they only had vegetarian options, as the empanadas have water and flour anyways. I don't know if she thought vegan also meant gluten free, anyways I left.

Good, solid empanadas - Edit

This is a small chain of bakeries that specialise in various forms of empanadas. They have somewhere around 35 to 40 different types of empanadas, including sweet dessert ones, out of which I counted 13 that were veg*n—there was no marking of this, however; my count is based simply on the ingredients on the menu. Only two or three of these 13 looked vegan, the rest were vegetarian and had cheese and/or eggs. [NOTE: I’m basing this *exclusively* on the filling ingredients. I did not ask if they make their dough with or without eggs.]

The empanadas are freshly made when you order, unlike most bakeries which have just a few types pre-made and kept heated in displays. The freshness was definitely tasteable. I had three empanadas, which set me back just shy of ARS 60 (around USD 3.90)—not cheap for empanadas, but the quality was above what I’ve had elsewhere, and three was enough to serve as dinner.

The only thing that counts against the empanadas themselves is that they were almost too cheesy—one of them was almost chock full of melted cheese, which made it a little cloying at the end.

Pros: Great, freshly made empanadas, good veg*n selection (for empanadas)

Cons: No veg*n markings, a bit too much cheese

Return to Buenos Aires Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Cumen Cumen Recoleta closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.