CLOSED: Cuisine ouVerte

Contact 0475960737

Annonciadenstraat 4, Ghent, Belgium, 9000

Vegetarian restaurant close to the city center, opened since 2011. Offers a wide variety of menu items with many vegan ones. Staff speaks English, German, and French. SHUT DOWN JULY 2014 - OWNER TO OPEN ANOTHER RESTAURANT QORN'R.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Organic, Western, European, Fusion

First Review by Ghent Guy

High Quality and very vegan-friendly - Edit

We went here twice in September 2012. Ghent must be one of the best cities of its size in Europe for vegans but we found Cuisine Ouverte the best quality food we had anywhere in the city in the week we were there. While the all you can eat buffets at other locations are cheap and delicious, CO is a proper small restaurant with a limited but high quality selection which changes about once a week. We found the staff very vegan-aware, able to advise (in English) what was and wasn't OK, and what could be adapted, and everything we had was clearly vegan. There were two options on each course that were vegan or could be made vegan, I think we had all of them between us over the 2 visits - and all excellent. Highlights were an amazing Chervil Soup with Dumplings and a really good chocolate cake. Nice atmosphere and fairly central.
Updated from previous review on Monday April 15, 2013

Pros: Quality of food, Friendly staff

vegans be warned - Edit

There are only two entrees a day in the evening. I went with my husband and son. The two dishes of the day were risotto or rosti and we all ordered the risotto and told the waiter that we were vegan so no cheese, please. Thirty minutes later he brought out three rosti plates, oops. We pointed out the mistake, the waiter was apologetic and went to make new dinners for my son and husband (I kept mine). Another thirty minutes later risotto comes to the table...with cheese on top. By now we've been at the restaurant for over an hour and it was just getting too late to try again, and my husband didn't really believe the order was going to be right on the third try. My dish was quite tasty, if a little on the rich side. The owner insisted that we didn't have to pay for drinks and the one entree (we paid anyway). The staff was very apologetic.

Pros: very delicious

Cons: SLOW service, not careful with orders

Cuisine Ou Verte, Gent - Edit

My non vegetarian friend and I went to this resturant and were delighted by the entire dinner. Like the other reviewers said it is a gourmet resturant with only two "menus". The first course was bok choi sauted with soy sauce with two melon ball sized servings of mashed potatoes with wasabi. It was amazing. The main course was rotini pasta in a shell of eggplant and with dried tomatoes, a light red sauce, and some type of dried tofu that was deep fried as little balls. Again very, very nice. Desert was a frozen half melon shell with a granita of melon, banana and pineapple topped with melon balls. the price was very reasonable. The entire walk to our hotel we were exclaiming about this meal! Fantastic and definitely gourmet in the taste and the presentation. I may go back tomarrow night.

Pros: Small, nice decor, fantastic food

Cons: no credit cards, limited choice, small

Delicious, but not 100% vegan... - Edit

We enjoyed cusine ou verte tonight. The dinner menu is limited, but we thoroughly enjoyed it. Just be sure to tell your host you are vegan, as they have some dishes with cheese and dairy, and need to adapt them for you. We had a delicious ravioli, chickpea cutlet with veggies and mango cheesecake. Menu seems to change daily but its worth the trip. Very good food, and reasonably good value at 23 euros for full menu du jour.

A+++++ and two thumbs up! - Edit

I have been going to this restaurant since it opened. The menu is limited but it is better that way because I can order one menu and my husband the other, so that we can both enjoy their great food.
I have tried the pasta, goulash, and rolled cabbage, all of them was excellent - had a lots of flavor and tasty sauces with a great presentation. This is a "gourmet" Vegan restaurant, with a very affordable prices!!
Last time I visited, they had a course menu, the appetizer reminded me of a Japanese dish which I wanted to have more, the main course was a Hamburger with fresh fries and a Seitan, Shitake and a mushed potato with a Porto sauce - we enjoyed both very much. It is a wonderful surprise for my husband, who is a non-vegitarian, that he could enjoy the burger so much. This is one of the reason I come here often, because this restaurant gives me and my husband to enjoy the meal together!!
The dessert was grazed tofu and chocolate tart. Yes, grazed tofu was okay, it was a simply "sweet tofu" with a tasty orange sauce... BUT! the choco tart was AMAZING!! No wonder sometime it runs out!! It created a wonderful flavor in my mouth together with its pretty cherry sauce.
I recommend this restaurant to all the people who has a chance to visit Gent. The price is very affordable, I was very much surprised that you can get all this for a small price! :)
Not to forget, super nice and accommodating staffs!

Pros: Excellent food, Friendly Staff, Great Value

Wonderful suprise! - Edit

We stumbled upon this small, quaint restaurant when our second attempt to go to FrietKetel didn't pan out. The menu is quite small, but the waitress is English-speaking and very helpful. (They ran out of the layered dessert cake and she brought us just a few bites of the cake part to taste. So sweet!)

We had spicy seitan Goulash with fried potatoes, a terrific mushroom, truffle-oil & onion bruschetta and cabbage rolls with veggies and white and red sauces.

Delish!

Pros: great, simple foods, clean, quaint

Cons: may run out

Nice Dinner - Edit

My wife and I arrived for dinner, the restaurant is pleasant and has seating in both the front and back of the restaurant.

The menu is limited, but the food was good. And it is better to have a limited menu that is well done. The salads and desserts were excellent. The main courses were mixed; we had a pasta dish that was excellent, and a potato dish that was good.

We were told that they did not have a new credit card machine so it was CASH only. Ask first. They plan on getting a new credit card machine, but be prepared either way.

Service was excellent and very pleasant.

Pros: Excellent Service, Good Food, Nice atmosphere

Cons: Cash Only

Return to Ghent Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has CLOSED: Cuisine ouVerte closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 2958 times since Jul 2011.