First Review by XOXO

Vegan-friendly B&B in a beautiful location! - Edit

My husband and I have just stayed at Cuildorag House for a week, as part of a fortnight touring Scotland. What a location! The Highlands are stunning and Cuildorag is a perfect base from which to explore (as long as you have your own transport). Iain and Lisa were friendly and helpful from the outset and, as the week went on, we had interesting chats with Iain about the local area and travel further afield. Iain was always keen to offer advice about where to go/what to do depending on the weather and was very accommodating when we asked for a breakfast half an hour early one day, when we wanted to go kayaking. Our room was spacious, light and comfortable (with lovely views), with a huge bath and good shower. Toiletries were vegan-friendly and the ethical toilet paper (!) was also noted and appreciated :) Breakfast was plentiful and varied with both soya and almond milk on offer - fresh fruit, soya yoghurts, homemade bread, different spreads and cooked options. There were tea/coffee making facilities in the room, which was much appreciated, and we were offered fresh soya milk on arrival. Our only quibble was that on the website it states that evening meals can be arranged in advance for some evenings (bearing in mind you otherwise have to drive out for food); upon booking we had tentatively signed up for meals for 3 or 4 nights. However, when I emailed a week or so before arrival I was told this would no longer be possible as they now had other commitments. We were told that they could provide only one meal (initially the first night, but this was then changed due to unforeseeable illness which obviously couldn't be helped). I would have appreciated being told this proactively, rather than opportunistically, but never mind. The three course meal we did have was tasty home cooked fare - sweet potato soup, butter bean & gnocchi stew with salad and pan fried pineapple with vegan ice cream. However, we felt the £25 price tag per person was a little steep. Having said that we would recommend staying here as our experience was primarily positive and it's great to find hosts who truly understand what "vegan" means! Plus, there's a 5% discount if you're a member of the Vegetarian or Vegan Society :)

Pros: Vegan-friendly (and 5% discount to V-Soc members), Helpful host, Plentiful breakfasts

Cons: Dinner - need to be definitive if can offer.

Vegan breakfasts and dinner upon request - Edit

This was a great stay and we also asked for the dinner option. I'm not sure if you have to stay in for them to provide you dinner, but if you do, this vegetarian B&B will make you a lovely dinner. They made us a vegan and gluten-free meal. Also the breakfast was very good and the tea was made with fresh, local mint :)

Return to Onich Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Cuildorag House closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.