Crumbs Kitchen

Contact 02920-395007

33 Morgan Arcade, Cardiff, Wales, CF10 1AF

Serves meat, vegan options available. Vegetarian restaurant in the city centre; reported also serving fish (2015). Causal cafe style. Food is displayed in a glass case, and there is also a menu on the wall. Under current management since 2012; formerly named Crumbs.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, Western, Take-out, British, Non-veg

First Review by Stevie

Lunch at crumbs - Edit

I had the salad bowl with some extra bits and a carrot juice. Absolute delicious and well priced. I will definitely be eating here again :-)

Pros: Friendly staff, Seating inside and outside., Nice wooden bowls

Amazing bean chilli - Edit

Recently visited crumbs kitchen and had an amazing vegan bean chilli. They also had quite a few vegan cakes but the portion of chilli and jacket potato was so generous I will have to try them next time. Cant wait to go back.

Nice cafe but not fully vegetarian - Edit

We visited Crumbs yesterday whilst in Cardiff. It is a nice café that is almost completely vegetarian but not quite. They do serve tuna apparently due to public demand and them not being able to survive if they didn't! The owner did at first tell us that they were 100% vegetarian and then, when asked about the tuna, revised that to 99.9% vegetarian. That aside, it is a nice lunchtime café. We had jacket potatoes with the veg chilli and the portions were a good size. The chilli wasn't too hot which is how we like it! Unfortunately no dairy free margarine was available. For dessert we had the chocolate cake and the vanilla and cherry cake. Both of which were delicious.

Pros: Vegan cake, Vegan main courses, Open on a Sunday

Cons: Serves Tuna, No dairy free margarine

Vegan heaven!! - Edit

I visited here on Friday (26/6/15), with my young daughter.

After many recommendations & good reviews. I had to pop in here to see for myself how correct they were.

Well, all I can say I wasn't disappointed!! I loved it!!

I had the Chickpea & spinach pie warmed up for me. With a side portion of quinoa, rice with peanuts. And salad.

My daughter had a little jacket potato with beans.

Drinks, I had a hazelnut soya latte & Rose lemonade for my daughter.

Loved everything about the place - the good food & drink choice, the portion sizes, the setting and if course the friendly staff.

I certainly left here with a rather full belly!! And much enjoyed & value for money.

I will definitely be recommending this place and returning in the near future!!
Updated from previous review on Sunday June 28, 2015

Pros: Vegan, Fresh food & fab choice and variety, Large portions & value for money

Favourite for lunch - Edit

I've been eating at Crumbs since I was old enough to take the twenty minute train journey to Cardiff by myself. It's the best place for a quick veggie/vegan lunch in town; the food always feels very fresh, homemade, good portions and reasonably priced. My favourite thing to have is the small salad bowl (the larger one is sometimes too big for me!), for which you choose three items from the bar, meaning you can have a veggie or vegan experience without bother. Even better is the option to take the salad away with you for a slightly cheaper price.
I don't agree with the complaints about the old management, but the changes that have been made in recent years are noticeable and definitely appreciated. The extra tables outside and brighter decor have made all the difference. I look forward to enjoying many more lunches here.

Pros: hygiene rating five, freshness & quality of veg , big portions from salad bar

Cons: opening hours

Nice place in the traditional Cardiff arcades - Edit

I've only been here once, but am planning to go again. My grandmother who is not vegetarian or vegan, has come here often over the years and likes it very much.
It's a cute place in one of Cardiff's traditional arcades, which gives it a lovely atmosphere.
The food is all ready behind a counter so you pick and pay first and then sit down.
I had a chickpea pie which was really nice and they heated it up for me. I didn't have a dessert though they do have some vegan ones, which is great.
It's not expensive and a great place to stop by if you're in the city centre or if you're just feeling peckish while in town.

Pros: vegan dessert, inexpensive, convenient location

RELIABLE HEALTHY FOOD - Edit

I've been coming here for years and feel better for it,too.
Most of the food's homemde and there isn't really a comparable veggie/vegan eatery in Cardiff City Centre.
I think any quibbles by previous reviewers are largely irrelevant now,as this business is under new management with gradual improvements taking place week by week.
I also noticed online that Crumbs was awarded top marks (5 out of 5) by the Health Inspector - a rare accolade,indeed,especially as one nearby "chain" restaurant was rated a worrying 1 out of 5.
Delicious winter soup or a nutritious veg curry with brown rice are just two Crumbs highlights - not forgetting,of course their iconic wooden bowls of mixed salad topped with their proprietary mayo.
It's also quite coeliac-friendly,as many meals do not contain gluten. Wifi is now available and Paul,the owner,has launched healthy Crumbs-style breakfasts (eg GF muesli with seeds and fresh fruit salad). The uncomfortable benches have now been replaced with new tables and chairs and the bizarre absence of a customer "rest room" since 1970 has been rectified. I notice that new customers are increasing week by week and it's great that Crumbs lives on,especially in light of the founder,Judy Ashley's,original hard work and pioneering spirit (apparently ,she was the first proprietor in Cardiff to buy in brown rice). Opening hours have now extended to 4pm daily and Sunday opening has now begun. An upstairs lounging area with comfy sofas and newspapers is being considered as well as a new counter offering ciabattas etc. Business at this eaterie has increased substantially since the new proprietor started pulling it into the 21st century.
Updated from previous review on Monday August 20, 2012

TASTY FAST VEGETARIAN FOOD - Edit

I have lived in Cardiff for thirty years but only started to go to Crumbs about two years ago. My daughter is vegan and loves the salad. I am neither vegan nor vegetarian so can eat any of the food and everything I have had has been tasty and good value for money. Under new management and has nice new tables and chairs. You have to queue for food but it is ready to eat so no waiting for busy waiters/waitresses.

Pros: Tasty food, Good value, Friendly staff

Cons: No toilet

getting better - Edit

I've used Crumbs on and off over the years. More off than on as it had a history of average food at a non average cost. However, it looks like they've changed the owner and things are getting better. They've gone from basic salads and a rough and ready appearance to a more adventurous menu with more variety and flavour, as well as tarting up the decor. If I'm having lunch in town now, it's high up in my choice's

could be great if... - Edit

New ownership, apparently. Two vegan soups available. I had leek and potato, and it was tasty. I took away a container of the four salads that were vegan. They serve coffees and teas, quiches, curry and brown rice, jacket potatoes, chili, fresh fruit salad and cakes. March 31, 2012: had no toilets "yet."
The six big bowls of "salads" included three based on cabbage, one bowl of grated carrot, one bowl of grated cheese and a rice and peanut mixture. As the only vegetarian eatery in the central core, they should do better.
Suggestions: 1) Offer a smaller size soup bowl available, not just the 3.95 size, which was bigger than I wanted; 2) Offer more-imaginative salads; 3) If you're going to drizzle soymilk on top of a hot soup, use the special creamer variety; the regular soymilk separates and looks like curdled milk; 4) Offer more vegan meals.

pretty good - Edit

The only food I ate here was a chickpea pie. It was very good but I am not 100% certain they baked it. Some of the baked goods were from there but not all were. Like most of the arcades in Cardiff it will close early but it's still a nice central veggie place.

Reliable City Centre Veggie Fayre - Edit

Based in the wonderful arcades of Cardiff this cafe serves solid veggie fayre with no problem for vegans. Typically pasta dishes, chillis etc. Great for lunch when you are out shopping. Prices are average for City Centre cafes. I am Cardiff born and bred, I don't get back enough but I think this is the only strictly city centre veg eatery (others have been and gone, notably The Beehive, sadly missed). It does get busy at lunchtimes. Interestingly there's another non veg cafe nearby which also does good veg and vegan range. Could well be the influence, not least of people going there when Crumbs is rammed.

Pros: Reliable quality, Fine for vegans, City Centre

Cons: Can get very busy, Can close early

Exclusively veggie - Edit

I don't know what planet your reviewer 'Liz' is from, but Crumbs has been exclusively vegetarian from the day it opened 35 years ago. A splendid place and very good value, as can be seen by the huge queues which build up around lunch time. Don't let this put you off though, since most of the customers are ordering 'take aways'.

Pros: Friendly staff, No smoking, Good portions.

Crumbs, Cardiff - Edit

I've been to this place a few times. I am surprised at the other comment saying Crumbs isn't 100% vegetarian as I thought that it was. The central location makes it very handy. It could be open longer hours though. The food wasn't the tastiest that I've ever had but maybe I chose badly.

Pros: Central location

Cons: Could open longer hours, Food could be tastier

Return to Cardiff Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Crumbs Kitchen closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 5223 times since Aug 2007.