Cruda Cafe

Contact 647-919-5721

93 Front St E, Toronto, Ontario, Canada, M5E 1C3

Raw food restaurant cafe located in basement of the St. Lawrence Market in Toronto. Serving vegan, organic living foods for eat-in or take-out in biodegradable containers. Changing menu. Opened since Jan 2010.

Category: Vegan, Organic, Western, Take-out, Catering, All Raw

First Review by fauncheeks

Average And Pricey - Edit

2 juices and 2 salads = 40 $
Really?
The salads weren't that good - quite bitter actually, and the juices were ok. Not sure if the price is due to location, I wouldn't go out of my way to come back.
Service, however, was charming and friendly.

Pros: Service

Cons: Price

It was great when I ate - Edit

I'm basing my review from a few years back. I haven't eaten there in a bout a year and half because I'm never out that way anymore. I was there often enough previously to get the idea that the food was really great and at the time less expensive than other raw food in the city. I always loved what I got and always tried to make room for dessert. Regarding what a previous person wrote about the "fatty desserts". 1. Desserts aren't suppose to be low fat. 2. From what I can tell when you are on a raw diet you are suppose to eat lots of nuts and avocado and so forth. Otherwise you'll shrink to a string bean. So at the very least raw desserts SHOULD be fatty! (MHO!)

Pros: really tasty, price, st lawerence market

Cons: st lawrence market, not super friendly

Cauliflower Rice!! - Edit

I'm usually not a fan of raw food (it usually tastes funny), but Cruda Cafe's Norita Wrap was great! Made with cauliflower rice, beets, carrots, guacamole, vege paté, greens, and nori, the tastes were familiar to me and really good!

The cauliflower rice actually contains no grains but it looks just like shiny jasmine rice! Some herbs and olives made it taste even better!

The location is great for tourists since you can see a show at the Young Centre for the Performing Arts first, then walk through the historic Distillery District and historic St. Lawrence Market and still find tasty and healthy vegan food.

Good option - Edit

I would first like to say I haven't had the issue with staff the previous reviewers seem to have had. Perhaps the cafe has been reading the reviews?
I've been here three times, and enjoyed the food each time. Each time as well I had a friendly order taker. The taste is good, the price isn't cheap but it's not unreasonable, though I find the portions a little smaller than I'd like.
What I didn't like was it seems that they don't always use the ingredients that are listed for the respected wraps? I ordered a nori one today, and seemed to basically get the same filling as the sun dried tomato wrap, only with a nori coating, instead of the pickled plum paste and so forth advertised. I sadly had already walked off and gotten halfway home before I tried it, so couldn't speak to them about it. I'd found also the sundried tomato wrap didn't have quite the filling as I saw advertised, but I took that to be a late in the day issue.

Overall I WILL return as it's convenient for me, but be more careful checking the ingredients they're using before leaving.

Pros: Good selection, Everything is vegan & gluten free

Cons: Not always the ingredients you expect, Pricey

Hit and Miss Raw Food - Edit

My husband and I ate here on our recent trip to Toronto. We ordered the gnocchi carbonara, quiche me lorraine, and the sunshine smoothie. The gnocchi were delicious. The quiche wasn't very quiche-like, just some ingredients stuffed into a crust. The greens the quiche was served over were too bitter to eat without dressing, as they were served. The smoothie tasted great, but the temperature was a bit off (too warm).

The service was ok, but the food was quite pricey. Our three items came out to about $30. And the dining area atmosphere leaves much to be desired.

Pros: all vegan

Cons: expensive

good food, decent price - Edit

I had the gnocchi, which I think would be more appropriately called "spaghetti" and "meatballs" just based on how it looked. It was delicious and such a generous portion that I couldn't even finish it all (which is rare in raw restaurants). I also had the raw nanaimo bar which was quite good as well. Staff were friendly, menu items were interesting, and I would definitely go back.

Pros: unique options, taste, price

Cons: not open sundays

service without a smile - Edit

Living on the east end of Toronto where there are no raw vegan restaurants and coming to the market almost every Saturday, I was excited to hear that there was an option somewhat close to me. Imagine my disappointment when I am met with no warmth, eyes rolling and nasty vibes. The food was great! Most everything I've had is phenomenal! (and I've been there about five times!!) the Gypsy Sandwich, Mushroom Burger, Gnochhi Carbonara, but honestly, I can't condone the lack of warmth, especially since I've attempted to engage. My advice, go there expecting great food and service without a smile and try not to take it personal.

Pros: great food, fresh

Cons: bad energy, not enough seating

2 Responses

I'm hungry just thinking about it - Edit

It was a gorgeous summer day out on the 2nd floor patio at St. Lawrence Market. I can think of no better food to accompany that than Cruda Cafe's fresh, raw, organic vegan offerings.

We shared a raw hummus and veggie wrap with a dehydrated 'tortilla' (sundried tomato and carrot), a pecan/mushroom bistro 'burger' with sliced tomato instead of a bun (very filling), and Claudia's salad which had dates and shaved parsnips in it (!!).

All three were heavenly, and each around $7-8.

A little simpler than the six-star fare at LIVE food bar, but half the price.

I'm a fan forever.

Pros: organic, seasonal, friendly

Cons: none

Great Little Find in St. Lawerence Market - Edit

I have been waiting to try this place for a while but can never seem to manage to get to the St. Lawrence Market. This weekend I had an amazing strawberry crepe that was to die for. I will go back for sure.

Pros: Food, Staff

Cons: Seating (shared food court)

So goooood! - Edit

I went here a few weeks ago while stopping at the market. I was just so happy to find something vegan and raw at the market. I got the boston burger- a burger made of mainly mushrooms, sandwiched between tomato slices with a faux mayo and other veggies. Really tasty! I also got a chocolate mint cupcake that was really good as well. They also make juices. My brother and mom got juices with wheat grass juice mixed in and they were very good. I bought a kombucha they sold there that was made locally and enjoyed it. The chefs were very knowledgeable and friendly. I hope to be going back!

Pros: delicious , fresh , raw

Return to Toronto Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Cruda Cafe closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 6763 times since Jan 2010.