First Review by Aloo

Crossways- Cheap, Easy and Delicious - Edit

Crossways is a great optition for any vegans or vegetarians who are in Melbourne city and looking for a cheap filling meal. Each day is a new curry so depending on when you go the meal will be tasty and filling. The prices are great and the atmosphere is nice. Super easy to find and access, close to all other areas of the city including Flinders Street station, South Bank and the main shopping centres.

Updated from previous review on 2016-07-20

Pros: Cheap , Good location, Large servings

Cons: Better desert choices

Delicious meal for $5.95 (student price) - Edit

Great filling daily changing curry. It is all you can eat so refills are available if you can manage to fit it in after the vegan or vegetarian dessert.

Pros: They offer veg or vegan dessert. Quickly canteen s

good value - Edit

So you only get one option but it changes daily. And for $5.50-$7.50 you can't really complain.

Pros: cheap, tasty

Cons: variety

Quick, Cheap & Vegielicious - Edit

A basic weekly menu that changes daily, Crossways is a great place for anyone in need of a cheap but nutritious feed. $5 (concession), $6.50 (for everyone else) buys you a large plate of curry, rice, papa-dams, dessert and drinks (orange cordial/lassi). The meals are basic very quite tasty.

It an get quite busy during lunch hour, but they do also do take-away for a small fee (to cover the cost of the container).

If you're vegan, be sure to ask that the curry & dessert being served that day are vegan too!

Pros: Quick, Cheap, Vegie

Cons: Not that vegan friendly, Quite busy

Amazing. - Edit

Had this when I was vegetarian many years ago, and I LOVED IT. I first tried it at the Melbourne Show, had it three days in a row as I was working there and all I can say is, DELICIOUS. Each day I had the kids meal, which had a nice curry, saffron rice with a semolina pudding and custard. Went to the actual restaurant not long after, had the same meal but bigger, it was so so good. Haven't been there since becoming vegan but I would like to see what vegan stuff they have on offer.

Pros: Cheap, DELICIOOOOUUUUSSS, Good size serving

A LITTLE DISAPPOINTING - Edit

I have to admit that I was pretty disappointed by this place. It's a great location and the prices are excellent, very cheap. There isn't a lot of variety though and the choices were a little boring.

Both of the friends I went with really enjoyed it though, and I admit that I am a little spoiled when it comes to vegan food since my husband and I are such passionate cooks.

Definitely a good choice for the budget conscious though and the food was tasty, just not excellent.

Pros: Cheap! , location!

I wouldn't go back - Edit

I like to give positive reviews for veggie places, since they are filling an important need. I can't give one to this place, though. I guess the flavors were just average, but the big problem was the lack of protein in the meal. It was just a curry made with vegetables. I know there was *some* protein in the rice, but they should have added some tofu or gluten to make the meal balanced. Vegetarians need protein, and this place just doesn't provide it. The price is low (AU$6.50 for non-students), but you get what you pay for here. I would only eat this way if I were very very poor. It's all you can eat, but I didn't finish the food on my plate because it wasn't that tasty. The atmosphere isn't pleasant either. I was shocked at how crowded the place was at lunch time. I hope the other veggie options in town are better.

Pros: Price, Location

Cons: Uninspired, Little protein, Unpleasant atmosphere

A great veggie bargain - Edit

At Crossways you get all you can eat from a set selection of dishes from a bain marie. It consists of a daily curry, rice halva and more. Its a very casual student friendly environment. Food is simple but good.

Pros: Cheap, Location, All you can eat

Cons: Limited Choice

Full belly, calm mind, and cheap! - Edit

The menu changes daily, so there is always something new to try. Also they always have sweets to try and "meal" deals. It's a good spot to watch people below on Swanston street. I found that there were not enough vegan options though.

Pros: cheap, away from the, crowd

Cons: could be spicier, Not enough Vegan

Return to Melbourne Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Crossways closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 5671 times since Aug 2007.