Crab

Nilaveli Rd, Uppuveli, Alace Garden (at Near the church), Uppuveli, Sri Lanka

Serves meat, vegan options available. Full menu of a la carte local Sri Lankan food including kutto, biryani, and fried rice. Has many vegetarian and vegan choices. Offers a daily vegetarian lunch buffet from 11:00 am - 2:00 pm which includes two kinds of rice, 3 vegan curries, salad and papadums. Open Mon-Sun 8:00am-10:00pm.

Categories: Lacto, Indian, Buffet, Non-veg

First Review by serrarose

Nothing Special - Edit

This is a good restaurant. But there are plenty of other good restaurants in Uppuveli with just as many meat-free options. To single this one out as being particularly veg-friendly would be a misnomer.
Staff are friendly, atmosphere is nice, and there is a good range of Sri Lankan and Western food. Just remember that you can find many other nice eateries closeby also.

Pros: English menu, English speaking staff, Nice atmosphere

Cons: Not uniquely veg-friendly

Great Vegetarian Food - Edit

This restaurant is on the main road in Uppuveli. Located just next to the church and opposite the small lane leading to the beach where all the guest houses call themselves French Garden this or French Garden that.

I was pleasantly surprised by lunch time at this restaurant. As a general rule I tend to avoid sea side restaurants that boast fresh seafood but lacking pure veg alternatives I did my best to look past the restaurant's name as I entered.

We stepped inside at lunch time and we were immediately greeted by a delicious vegetarian buffet. The buffet is daily from 11-2pm, costs a mere 300 ruppees and offers a delicious choice of two kinds of rice, 3 vegan curries, (that usually change daily), a salad and papadums. Eat as much as you can put on you rather large plate. Like typical Sri Lankan food the curries can be spicy and the ingredients vary depending on what's in the kitchen.

My boyf and I ate here for lunch every day during our stay in Uppuveli. The staff are super friendly and the curries are so tasty. Most guests visiting the restaurant during lunch come for the vegetarian buffet.

Dinner is a rather busy affair with the large restaurant filling out and admitting I think the place turns into an obnoxious sea food restaurant with all the smells assaulting my senses. I would not recommend dinner time to those of you hoping to appreciate the smells of quality vegetarian food. Lunch is much nicer. With that said, the dinner menu still offers heaps in the way of vegie and vegan options.

Pros: Wonderful vegetarian lunch buffet

Cons: Miserable looking sad crabs kept in dirty display

Return to Uppuveli Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Crab closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.