Covina Tasty

Contact 626-332-8816

1063 N Citrus Ave (at N of I-10), Covina, California, USA, 91722

A fast food & dairy ice cream place serving veggie burgers, hot dogs, soft serve sundaes & fruit smoothies. Owner converted all the burgers/food choices to vegetarian in the '90s, a first of its kind. Accepts phone orders. Mon-Sun 11:00am-11:00pm

Category: Lacto, Ovo, American, Fast food, Take-out

First Review by

Historical - Edit

"The Very First Vegetarian Fast Food In America"
This place has a cool vegetarian rebel history. Established in 1960 as a Tastee Freez, then bought by current owner Mark Tsai in 1984 who didn't get approval from Tastee Freez to turn the menu vegetarian, but he did it anyway. After four years, Tastee Freez found out and suspended his franchise name, so he turned it to Covina Tasty.

I got the Chicken Sandwich Meal. The deep fried chicken patty is the best I've ever had with a good vegan bun which was unusually soft for a vegan bread, but the white "American" soy cheese became gooey with moisture of the lettuce, so I became suspicious it was mayo. Mr. Tsai assured me it wasn't.
My friend got the burger combo and said it was good. He probably would've enjoyed it more if he hadn't had his heart set on a mushroom burger. Keep in mind: There's "No Substitutions" for the combos...sigh...I wanted onion rings.

Although he deceivingly has many Tastee Freez marketing up from the 1980's that has expectedly faded from its original vibrant colors, it gives a Vintage/Retro/"Last Picture Show" feel to the establishment. Mr. Tsai is also an award winning painter, so there's a mini gallery you can see from the Tastee Freez- esque side and all the exterior artwork was done by him. "When you're a business owner, you have to do everything yourself." The whole place reminds me of the old burger stands at the beach when I was a kid.

While we were there, seven people came to the ice cream side, one of which had been coming for 22 years because it was so good. I'm not sure if she knew that it wasn't actual Tastee Freez product she was getting, but the laminated "No Beef Here" LA Times article (04/17/88) on the window states it isn't. If she enjoys it that much for that long, it may even be better than Tastee Freez.

Veg out,

Veggie Army
veggiearmy.yelp.com
(coming soon - VeggieArmy.com)

Pros: Historical, Interesting, Inspiring

Cons: Location needs a face lift, Tastee Freeze like items not vegan, Vegan desserts are from Vegan Heaven

First visit - Edit

I stopped by Covina Tasty today and had "vegan tiremisu." It was good and I took a look at menu for next time. I say you cannot expect to eat "healthy" here. The menu is all vegetarian friendly but still fastfood. I like the owner by the way, more than the food. I defenitely come back there again for the owner.

Covina Tasty - Edit

I used to like going here when I still ate ice cream. They have a vast amount of ice cream options like sundaes, banana splits, shakes, and many others. My family likes the vegetarian corndogs/hotdogs and I'm lucky to have it close to my house. The chili fries are delicious too; good variety of fast foods. Your best bet if you're ordering food is to call in and tehn arrive about 15 minutes later because it does take awhile. Seating is outside on tables. Be aware that some menu items listed are really more than what the menu board says as it hasn't been updated since the prices have changed.

Pros: location, fun for kids

Cons: prices, slow service on meal items

cool place - Edit

This place had really good fast food, and the service was friendly. Their chili fries were great. Only wish they had a more descriptive menu so you understand what you're getting better. Also we went on a cold night and there wasn't any indoor seating, only outdoor, so we had to eat in our car. Overall, great place for veggie fast food especially if you take it to go.

Pros: food, staff

Cons: ambience

Great Food - Edit

I found this place here on happy cow.com while trying to find some places to eat out at. so I went and tried it out and LOVE this place. I now go there at least once a week. I have even gotten my mom and people I work with that are meat eaters to eat there and the all loved the food! great job and Im sooo glad Covina Tasty exists.

Pros: Great Food, Good Service, Fast

Cons: Not a lot of seating

Good Fast Food - Edit

I was working as an intern for the San Gabrielle Valley Tribune and I wrote a review in their Highlander weekly on Covina Tasty. It's total comfort food. I shared a "chili dog" and "hamburger" with my sister. She loved it and she is such a meat lover.

Pros: Cheap, Fast, Comfort Food

Cons: Small place

Good Food - Edit

I am not vegetarian but I love the Beef and Bean Burrito (Not Fried), The steak sandwich and some water. That is a meal right there.

Pros: Good Food, Nice Owner, Fast worker

Cons: Sit outside

Return to Covina Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Covina Tasty closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 2821 times since Aug 2007.