Country Life Store - Melantrichova

• Health Store Health Store
Contact +420-224-213366

Melantrichova 15, Praha 1, Czechia (at alley off Old Square, just south of Astronomical Clock), Prague, Czech Republic,

Natural food shop stocks an assortment of healthy organic foods including a small selection of organic fruits and vegetables, cereal, snacks, packaged dried vegetarian foods, and a refrigerated case of yoghurts, dairy, tofu, and tempeh. No vitamins or supplements. Mon-Thu 8:30am-7:00pm, Fri 8:30am-6:00pm, Sun 11:00am-6:00pm

First Review by hack_man

picnics made easy! - Edit

Excellent range of foodstuffs- makes picnicking/self catering a doddle. Central location. Just off Old Town Square. Friendly staff- helpful and willing to help point out vegan/non vegan items in your basket. Always interesting to see and try new ranges in another country... and comforting to see more familiar brands too. Traditional pickles and pates alongside dairy free cheeses, milks, sweets and a good selection of general grocery items/fresh fruit & veg.

Pros: central location, good range

Heart of Prague - yummy food - Edit

We ate here this past week, and had a Tomato and Squash stew with Basmati Rice and also some Potatoes and Broccoli.
The food was tasty, and was sold by the weight.
We enjoyed the food, and the atmosphere was great!

Pros: Warm Meals sold by weight

Cons: Could have been more options

Country Life Natural Food Shop - Edit

Was here on a past trip to Prague, and here's my review for HappyCow.

Though the shop is small, it stocks a wide range of products. There were many customers when I was there.

The prices seemed okay, a bit more than other shops, but that was all right considering all the foods in here are organic and natural.

There is also a small selection of freshly baked breads and cookies and lots of vegetarian and vegan snacks.

Poor quality 'on the go' food - Edit

I was really excited to see this store while I walking through Prague, hungry but having resigned myself to searching for somewhere that does chips. There seemed to be a good selection of products, I bought a ready packed sandwich wrapped in brown paper. As I couldn't read the label, as I asked the shop assistant if it was vegan, and when she said it was I bought it. Biggest disappointment of my life, it was just a (pretty expensive) plain salad sandwich, no dressing or anything remotely interesting about it at all. I do like salad, but I was definitely expecting something more imaginative. It also had suspicious white creamy looking stuff on it. It didn't get finished.

why can't the staff be friendlier??? - Edit

i shop @ Country Life @ least twice a week. i've been going there consistently for the past three months. while i'm still adjusting to the very basic selection (where is the hummus?) my biggest bit of"constructive criticism" is" why can't the staff be friendlier??

considering the most friendly staff @ the Country Life restaurant RIGHT NEXT DOOR, i really wish the people that worked @ the country life food store could make a small effort to be more friendly. for the most part, no one smiles EVER - they are seemingly miffed if you don't speak czech (due to its proximity to old town square, i'm guessing close to half its customers are foreigners), and they are visibly irritated to be asked a question about merchandise. (that happened to me today when i asked about the apple purée/apple sauce which i eat on a regular basis...the woman was irritated to be asked, and gave me the impression that it's never to be restocked, w/o explanation.)

considering i spend a lot of money there - willingly - it would be really nice if there were a more positive atmosphere there - especially as it's a small health food store, not a huge, impersonal supermarket! since i shop there so often, it would be nice to feel comfortable there....it's really SUCH a different energy than the restaurant next door where people greet you (wow!), smile (double wow!) and have no problem answering your questions as best they can given the language barrier.

i often leave the Country Life store wondering why they have to be so unpleasant. it really makes for a less than positive shopping experience.

beyond that, i get all my soy yogurt, baked tofu, aloe vera juice, nuts and seeds from them. and that really helps, especially living in such a meat-centric city....

the proximity to my apt. really helps, but i may start going elsewhere -- the health food store Bionebio Health Food Store @ Dejvická 26, Praha 6 -- has very friendly staff...Country Life could learn something from them...

Updated from previous review on Sunday December 05, 2010

Pros: the basics, proximity to where i live

Cons: unfriendly staff, closes early on friday, closed saturday, not enough variety

Bland product... - Edit

After I ate a disappointing meal and dessert at the restaurant next door to the store (also Country Life) I thought I'd give their desserts a second shot. I bought the "Oriskove Trubicky Plnene Laksmanna" (like cannoli's) which were made by Country Life and again was disappointed. They were bland and just not good. The store is a little small but it's all vegetarian with a few vegan items. I cannot recommend the vegan items made there as everything I've had has been disappointing. If you're near the Astronomical Clock maybe stroll past this place and check it out, but I don't think it's anything to go out of your way for.

Pros: All Vegetarian

Central Perk - Edit

A 100% vegetarian and vegan store in the middle of Prague Old Town. Is that amazing or what. They sell and extensive range of products, fantastic for stocking up your hotel room with if you are here for a while such as soya milk and snacks. Great to see the store busy and doing well.

Pros: stock, location

Return to Prague Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Country Life Store - Melantrichova closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 2409 times since Sep 2007.