Counter Culture

Contact 512-524-1540

2337 E Cesar Chavez, Austin, Texas, USA, 78702

Offers meatless and dairy-free food using produce from local area farmers. Has daily specials, sandwiches, plates, desserts, and weekend brunch. Weekday happy hours 3-6pm. Weekend brunch 11am-3pm. Oil free, gluten-free, and soy-free options. Blue-walled interior. Move here in 2012 from E North Loop. Mon-Sun 11:00am-10:00pm

Category: Vegan, American, Organic, Raw, Juice bar, Beer/Wine, Take-out

First Review by pjw2000

Such good food! - Edit

We tried so many different things and they were all so good. I was especially fond of the "cheese"plate. Very yummy! Very friendly and attentive staff.

We couldn't eat all of our food and got the rest to go :)

Pros: friendly staff , good food, good selection

An Austin Must! - Edit

This place is amazing! I'd been hankering for some biscuits and gravy and their biscuit and gravy bowl hit the spot. For $7.50 I got so much food and left feeling stuffed. The lavender lemonade was very refreshing.

I had to wait a few minutes for a server to get to me, but it gave me time to look over the menu. Everyone was very friendly.

My only complaint would be that it was a little warm, but it's the middle of the summer and much hotter outside.

Pros: 100% Vegan Locally sourced Friendly Variety of cho

Cons: Just a tad warm during summer

Disappointing - Edit

I was very excited to go to Counter Culture but was disappointed with the service and quality. I probably won't ever go again (mostly because I no longer live in Austin) and if you're only in Austin for a short time, I would pass on it; however, if you live in Austin or eat strictly raw then try it out, hopefully you'll have a better experience than I did.

Cons: Expensive, Poor Service

Peanut4 Almwyo-
We are sorry to hear about your experience. Our servers are human beings and once in a while they do make a mistake. If you had visited more than once you would see this not a typical event.
Sounds like you are able to make dehydrated flax crackers, paper thin jicama rounds, fermented cashew cheeze and have a high speed blender to make raw desserts. Most people don't though and lucky for us they appreciate and love our food and our small vegan run business.
The pesto rawvioli and bruschetta have pesto in common and that's it. The dishes are clearly written out on our menu. I'm sorry if you missed this or our server didn't go over every item that you ordered.
Our dishes are low in oil and salt, we try to offer healthy vegan food. Our coconut cream pie is date sweetened and a customer favorite. The main two ingredients are real coconut meat and dates.
We source local and organic ingredients as much as possible, compost, reuse and recycle over 98% of our waste (only a small handful of restaurants in Austin to do this) and pay our staff a livable wage. If we priced our items any lower we could not pay our bills.
Sounds like we just aren't for you and that's OK. We take to heart criticism that we can use and improve ourselves.

tasty and friendly - Edit

Great service from very friendly staff. Sitting on the patio in the shade was great. Had the Buffalo Mac and cheeze balls. Good flavor with the ranch. The key lime pie was amazing. one of the best ever

Pros: friendly staff, delicious food , key lime pie!

ups and downs - Edit

Delicious food. Simply excellent. They are not terribly accommodating when it comes to substitutions or requests. A bit disappointing since I love CC so much.

Also, if you're low fat/oil, this is not the place to eat. They have a couple of E2 options, but not many.

Good food including oil free options and good service. - Edit

I was dining alone so I sat at the counter. The server was very attentive and pleasant. The food was all very good. I especially like that they have oil free options in every category on the menu.

While I enjoyed everything as it was served a couple items would probably be deemed not hot enough by some. Maybe this intentional as they serve many raw items.

The total bill wasn't cheap but as far as vegan places go it was very reasonable considering the quality.

Pros: Good sized menu, Oil free options, Great service

Great authentic American food - Edit

We got the daily juice special, a Philly cheese steak with a side of potato salad and mac & cheese with a pac man salad and roasted vegetables.

Philly cheese steak was great - really fresh bread and the mock meat was perfect. I loved the potato salad - really refreshing on a hot day, as was the juice.

My partner really enjoyed the mac and cheese - very crispy, just the way he liked it, and the salad and vegetables were nice too.

For dessert I got the coconut cream pie, which was divine, so creamy and perfect in the hot weather. My partner got a donut hole with fair trade chocolate - healthy and light dessert which he really enjoyed.

Great service, reasonably priced, some fair trade ingredients, tasty food.

Pros: Fresh, all vegan food, Fair trade ingredients, Great service

Solid Vegan Restaurant in East Austin - Edit

Arrived just before noon on a Sunday. A bit crowded outside but inside was relatively sparse. Ordered a hot coffee w/ almond milk and their breakfast burrito. Both arrived promptly. Burrito contained an aioli-like dip and pico de gallo. Burrito and sauces were extremely delicious. Had to get a to-go box for 1/4 of burrito. Great size for the price. Would definitely recommend to a friend and will definitely be coming back next time I visit Austin.

Pros: Friendly staff, Good value, Excellent food

underwhelmed - Edit

Visiting Austin I was looking forward to my first all vegan restaurant experience, Counter Culture, but it wasn't as good as I hoped. The jalapeño cornbread was dry and didn't have much jalapeño if any. The beet burger was okay but not that great. Thought about dessert but not after the lackluster meal. Probably just an isolated experience, but I'm not that impressed.

Pros: All Vegan Menu

Cons: Not that great

Good vegan dining - Edit

Counter Culture is a pleasant vegan restaurant. I had the Southern baked Seitan. As advertised, it was covered with gravy. The presentation was very simple, and a little intimidating - two slabs of seitan on plate, with gravy all over. Quantity was not an issue.The side of mixed green salad was basic and adequate. The cornbread was good. The place is a good choice for dining in Austin.

Contributions +394

This Place Rocks! - Edit

The food was soooo good! You have to try the cornbread as a side. There were lots of options to choose from and it was all priced really good. The staff are also friendly and fast.

Pros: tasty food, cheap, great staff

Austin awesomeness! - Edit

I went up to Austin on a work trip, as we were attending the vegfest. We decided to eat at Counter Culture and it was great! Loved the atmosphere, the artsyness and the delicious food. I would have liked to have been able to try more things though.

Pros: Cool atmosphere

Our weekly lunch place - Edit

We make time to go to Counter Culture every week for lunch and love it. The menu is creative (this is where I first had jackfruit) and we very often order whatever the daily specials are. It's a funky little place in East Austin with inside and outside seating and excellent service. They are also very generous with their wine pours.
As of January 1st, they are now going to be open on Mondays!
Updated from previous review on Monday January 05, 2015

Pros: menu items, friendly waitstaff

Yumm - Edit

So much variety and everything was labeled if it was gluten free, on the Engine2 diet (no oils), etc. There was something for everyone.

The burrito with sweet potato and the jalapeño cornbread were the best things I tried.

Good food but he service can be wonky - Edit

The food here is great, particularly the brunch (I am a big brunch fan). They also do a great job of labeling the menu for gluten free, particularly healthy options etc.. That said I have found the service to be pretty hit and miss. Enough so to knock it down a star. I have had a range of pretty attentive to being flat out ignored for 40 minutes. That said the owner has been very response to complaints when they have raised.

Love this place! - Edit

It's very clear what items are gluten free or soy free. The ingredients seem really quality and healthy. I always get the gf/sf mac-n-cheeze with cashew cheeze. Cool east austin vibe. Awesome!

Pros: Clear menu, Quality, Cool vibe

love - Edit

Great first experience. There are so many vegan options, it took me forever to decide what to choose. luckily, I have a vegetarian boyfriend and we always split our plates so we can try more deliciousness. I loved our food and the sides were awesome, not your typical sides you'll find at a conventional restaurant. I loved my hibiscus tea, but next time I want to try the juice special.
Everything is homemade and I can tell a lot of heart was put into the menu and atmosphere. There was batik art adorning the walls, so cute. I look forward to this heat winding down so we can sit outside with the pretty twinkly lights. I felt so comfy and happy being there.
I really appreciate the owners philosophy on minimal waste, recycled to-go ware, local when accessible, and organic items.

Cruelty Free Perfection - Edit

My girlfriend and I had a great time in this place, she ordered the pesto ravioli with quinoa salad and flax crackers, and I ordered the savory seitan with the spinach citrus salad and grilled veggies. We then split everything in half and shared a super meal! The staff were all very friendly/happy/helpful/kind. We will be coming back for sure. This might be our new favorite place to eat out in town

Pros: Atmosphere, 100% Cruelty Free, Organic

Amazing! - Edit

My family was visiting Austin for a few days and found this restaurant on the HappyCow app. The atmosphere was very thrift store feeling and the staff were super friendly and attentive. Food was so good we went back our second day there. We all tried different dishes and were all just as happy the second day. Melted was my favorite! Will definitely go back next time we pass through!

Ah-mazing vegan fare! - Edit

SUCH good food! There's nothing better than going to a place that can provide a multi course all vegan fare that is handmade and tastes amazing and Counter Culture delivers on ALL of the above!

I had the bruschetta to start, which was so yummy with the pesto and tomatoes on homemade flax crackers. My main course was the savory seitan which hit all the "hot/savory/gravy" happy spots. It also came with a choice of 2 sides which I made into a double portion of the spinach and citrus salad with tahini dressing. The ultimate compliment for me, as someone who usually abhors salad dressing, is that I gobbled it up without a second thought...just the right amount, enough for flavor, but not drowning the veggies.

The staff were pleasant and personable and my waitress suggested the local Zoes beer, which was hops heaven! Highly recommend it and even better that it's local! :)

All in all, just a fab meal, would eat here again in a heartbeat!

Pros: Variety of vegan options, Two sides included with some entrees

Our favorite vegan restaurant - Edit

At this friendly place the food is always amazing and we love trying the specials. If you have allergies or a special diet, everything is labeled. Nice shaded patio for warm weather and cozy indoor ambiance for cooler weather. Good choice of wines which are discounted for Happy Hour.

Amazing artichoke dip and sake cider - Edit

They were open and cheerful Christmas Eve! I was sad they had to work, but grateful for the lovely food :).

I think you should order the artichoke dip. IT WAS AMAZING. We asked about the ingredients, and my non-vegan friend who HATES nutritional yeast and creamy sauces was stunned to discover the creamy dip she was enjoying included nutritional yeast :)

We ordered the brown rice flour crust tofu ricotta green pizza and the pad thai. They were nice, but not super seasoned. We found our selves putting hot sauce on them. Cayenne pepper is my go-to condiment for almost everything, though. :)

For dessert we had these amazingly decadent coconut balls, that were just great, and home-brew hot cider with a little sake that really hit the spot. Great!

Pros: friendly friendly staff, gluten free / soy free clearly labeled, both healthy and decadent options

Great vegan restaurant - Edit

Lots of options for vegans, vegetarians, and gluten free. Great food, fair price, friendly service. Indoor and outdoor seating.

Pros: Good food, Vegan, GF options, Good size restaurant

Cons: Most parking on nearby streets

Counter Culture Revolution - Edit

Wow, what a wonderful meal I just enjoyed. A revolutionary way to eat. I just wish they was some here to eat like this near my home. The food is fabulous, the service great and the price was totally reasonable.

Pros: food, price, service

Good! - Edit

We went for lunch during SXSW, since our appartment was near.
I had the savory seitan, which is just awesome! The jalopeno cornbread on the side isn't really that hot, but just good with this plate!
My friends went a couple of more times, this place is highly recommendable!

Pros: Savory seitan!, good and friendly staff, good vibe and bands during SXSW!

Such a gem - Edit

I eat here every time I am in Austin I love it so much. I love thir themed sandwiches like the thanksgiving one. Yummy. The staff is so nice and friendly, when they had the trailer they would have live music haven't been since they moved. Their desserts are so tasty and not overly sweet. I like that they have kale salad and it is raw. Just a fun good place.

Pros: Healthy, Friendly staff, Good value

Incredible - Edit

The fake tuna melt is incredible! Tuna melts used to be one of my favorite things before I went vegan. I was amazed at how it really captured the flavor of a tuna melt while being entirely vegan. Seriously, it's worth going just for that. The Pac-Man kale salad was my favorite side. And I'm not a huge kale fan, generally. The last Wednesday of the month, they have vegan cheese fondue and chocolate fondue. $30 for two people. Judging from the other people we saw around us, it looked like you get quite a good amount of fondue and food to dip in it. It's definitely on my calendar to get the fondue.

Pros: All-vegan, Amazing food, Lots of raw options

Cons: Fondue is once a month

So glad that CC exists! - Edit

I couldn't be more thrilled that Counter Culture has a brick and mortar now offering more delicious vegan eats! The menu is diverse with many gluten-free, raw, and oil-free choices. There is something for everyone and rotating specials. You can get anything from philly cheesesteak sandwich to mac n' cheese or raw ravioli on the lighter side. Portions are hearty and prices affordable. The weekend brunch is really delicious (french toast and omelet our of this world!) and Sue often has dj's, which is a nice touch! Great patio too!

Pros: healthy food, affordable, atmosphere

Counter Culture - Edit

Last I was in Austin I stopped by Counter Culture for lunch. I had a great sandwich for 6 dollars. You can't really beat that. After having only eaten there once, my only complaint about it is that isn't in my hometown of Houston. I can't wait to go again.

Pros: great food, inexpensive, outdoors

Cons: outdoors

The best. - Edit

We travel full time, and this is my favorite vegan spot. Sue has created fantastic vegan meals. Every thing on the menu is perfect. This is the place we take our non vegan friends to and they always love it. Do yourself a favor and ALWAYS get whatever dessert Sue has that week, you will never regret it. All of the food is fresh, made by her and creative. Do yourself a favor and make this your first stop for vegan food in Austin.

Pros: Any desserts!, The entire menu. , Price is fantastic.

Inventive is an understatement - Edit

Green apple cashew cheese sandwich!!! I was sort of like a deer frozen in headlights when I approached the menu at the sight of the green apple sandwich. My whole game plan was throw off and I went for it. It was amazing! I still am craving it to this moment. Counter Culture is a super cool food truck with a permanent location and matching bright blue picnic tables for dining. Cash only, but there is an ATM in the gas station parking lot its stationed at. Be brave, try something new!

Pros: green apple sandwich, fun atmosphere, friendly!

Inventive and supertasty food, relaxed vibe. - Edit

Eating at Counter Culture's backyard picnic tables felt a bit like a vacation in the tropics. A relaxed, friendly vibe, and flavorful, imaginative food in a colorful, rustic setting. The jackfruit BBQ sandwich was first rate - an instant fave - and the kale Caesar salad was yummy too. Her desserts are also recommended. Though she doesn't serve drinks, she has convinced the adjacent convenience store to carry more healthful bottled beverage (we had a tasty kombucha with organic grape juice). There was ample parking on our visit.

Highly recommended!

Pros: All vegan, creative and delicious food, Very affordable, especially for quality, Casual picnic table dining

Yum! - Edit

Sue's trailer is a great spot to grab a bite. It's on a cool little block (North Loop) in North/Central Austin, and there are picnic tables to eat at and a convenience store to buy drinks (or you can just bring your own). The sandwiches are great - the Philly Seitan rivals the Wheatsville deli's Popcorn Tofu Poboy for best vegan sandwich in town. There are also weekly specials that are quite good. Sunday brunch is also great, it lasts from 12 to 2 with a menu that also changes week-to-week. There are also occasional events, especially if the weather's nice. The best way to get updated on the specials and events is to friend Counter Culture on Facebook, but you can also see them via countercultureaustin.com. Remember that it's cash only and that it's only open Thu-Sat 12-8 and Sun 12-6 (this may change with the seasons).

Pros: Sandwiches, Specials/Events/Brunch, Mostly organic

Cons: No drinks, Outdoor seating only, Parking may be limited

Return to Austin Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Counter Culture closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 11500 times since Jul 2009.