Counter Culture

512-524-1540

2337 E Cesar Chavez, Austin, Texas, USA, 78702

Offers meatless and dairy-free food using produce from local area farmers. Has daily specials, sandwiches, plates, desserts, and weekend brunch. Weekday happy hours 3-6pm. Weekend brunch 11am-3pm. Oil free, gluten-free, and soy-free options. Blue-walled interior. Move here in 2012 from E North Loop. Open Mon-Tue 11:00am-10:00pm, Thu-Sun 11:00am-10:00pm.

Category: Vegan, American, Organic, Raw, Juice bar, Beer/Wine, Take-out

First Review by pjw2000

We had a very good dinner - Edit

Great food, a nice selection of beers, mostly regional, and very friendly service. Highly recommended and definitely return on our next visit to Austin.

One of the best! - Edit

Excellent vegan fare. We came all the way from CT to dine here after seeing recipes in The Happy Cow cookbook.

The Seitan cold cut sandwich was great, just one of many options on the diverse menu. Prices are incredibly cheap and the service is quick and friendly.

Pros: low cost, outdoor seating

Comforting Counter Culture - Edit

Deliciously tasty, affordable comfort food, all 100% vegan. Locally sourced ingredients when available. Regular menu enhanced with daily specials. Kids menu, delectable desserts. Beers and wines. Happy hour specials on appetizers, drinks. Clean comfortable space, dine indoors or on patio outside. Very small parking lot, with plenty on street parking on nearby side streets. Friendly, knowledgeable, helpful staff. Non-vegans in our group really enjoyed the food. Recommend Buffalo Mac & cheeze balls for starters, roasted sweet potatoes & beets for a side. Everything was so good, looking forward to next visit to Austin to try more of the food.

Pros: Delicious vegan comfort food, 100% vegan, Friendly knowledgeable staff

Cons: Small parking lot

Great vegan spot - Edit

Great food. Great atmosphere. Great kombucha. Highly recommended.

Solid Brunch Spot - Edit

Awesome food, great vibe, super friendly people. All vegan, serves wine & beer but sadly no mimosas. Good kombucha & coffee though! Highly recommend

Peanut4 24 Nov 2016 - Sorry you missed it but we DO have mimosas on our menu. You can have them with the Juice Of The Day, Lavender Lemonade or Fresh Orange Juice. We hope you come back and try one (or two:) soon.

Such good food! - Edit

We tried so many different things and they were all so good. I was especially fond of the "cheese"plate. Very yummy! Very friendly and attentive staff.

We couldn't eat all of our food and got the rest to go :)

Pros: friendly staff , good food, good selection

awesome spot - Edit

Very good service and food. Nice patio

An Austin Must! - Edit

This place is amazing! I'd been hankering for some biscuits and gravy and their biscuit and gravy bowl hit the spot. For $7.50 I got so much food and left feeling stuffed. The lavender lemonade was very refreshing.

I had to wait a few minutes for a server to get to me, but it gave me time to look over the menu. Everyone was very friendly.

My only complaint would be that it was a little warm, but it's the middle of the summer and much hotter outside.

Pros: 100% Vegan Locally sourced Friendly Variety of cho

Cons: Just a tad warm during summer

Disappointing - Edit

I was very excited to go to Counter Culture but was disappointed with the service and quality. I probably won't ever go again (mostly because I no longer live in Austin) and if you're only in Austin for a short time, I would pass on it; however, if you live in Austin or eat strictly raw then try it out, hopefully you'll have a better experience than I did.

Cons: Expensive, Poor Service

Peanut4 03 Jun 2016 - Almwyo-
We are sorry to hear about your experience. Our servers are human beings and once in a while they do make a mistake. If you had visited more than once you would see this not a typical event.
Sounds like you are able to make dehydrated flax crackers, paper thin jicama rounds, fermented cashew cheeze and have a high speed blender to make raw desserts. Most people don't though and lucky for us they appreciate and love our food and our small vegan run business.
The pesto rawvioli and bruschetta have pesto in common and that's it. The dishes are clearly written out on our menu. I'm sorry if you missed this or our server didn't go over every item that you ordered.
Our dishes are low in oil and salt, we try to offer healthy vegan food. Our coconut cream pie is date sweetened and a customer favorite. The main two ingredients are real coconut meat and dates.
We source local and organic ingredients as much as possible, compost, reuse and recycle over 98% of our waste (only a small handful of restaurants in Austin to do this) and pay our staff a livable wage. If we priced our items any lower we could not pay our bills.
Sounds like we just aren't for you and that's OK. We take to heart criticism that we can use and improve ourselves.

tasty and friendly - Edit

Great service from very friendly staff. Sitting on the patio in the shade was great. Had the Buffalo Mac and cheeze balls. Good flavor with the ranch. The key lime pie was amazing. one of the best ever

Pros: friendly staff, delicious food , key lime pie!

ups and downs - Edit

Delicious food. Simply excellent. They are not terribly accommodating when it comes to substitutions or requests. A bit disappointing since I love CC so much.

Also, if you're low fat/oil, this is not the place to eat. They have a couple of E2 options, but not many.

Peanut4 06 Jun 2016 - Thanks for your visit. Our kitchen can be very busy and it's hard to accommodate various substitutions or requests without making the kitchen slow down.
We do clearly state which foods are soy, gluten and oil free. We are the only restaurant in Austin that notates E2 items on the menu, which includes 20% of our menu. We do not oil our grill or fry anything in oil. Please ask a server next time you are in and we can go over options if you don't see them.

delicious ❤️ - Edit

I was in Austin for the day and stopped by here with my boyfriend (carnivore) and got a bangin quesadilla. Highly recommend this place!

Delicious - Edit

We loved it when it was a food trailer and love it even more now.

Really good! - Edit

I'm so happy I found this place! I had the beet mushroom walnut burger and it was perfect. Can't wait to come back tomorrow!

Good food including oil free options and good service. - Edit

I was dining alone so I sat at the counter. The server was very attentive and pleasant. The food was all very good. I especially like that they have oil free options in every category on the menu.

While I enjoyed everything as it was served a couple items would probably be deemed not hot enough by some. Maybe this intentional as they serve many raw items.

The total bill wasn't cheap but as far as vegan places go it was very reasonable considering the quality.

Pros: Good sized menu, Oil free options, Great service

Great authentic American food - Edit

We got the daily juice special, a Philly cheese steak with a side of potato salad and mac & cheese with a pac man salad and roasted vegetables.

Philly cheese steak was great - really fresh bread and the mock meat was perfect. I loved the potato salad - really refreshing on a hot day, as was the juice.

My partner really enjoyed the mac and cheese - very crispy, just the way he liked it, and the salad and vegetables were nice too.

For dessert I got the coconut cream pie, which was divine, so creamy and perfect in the hot weather. My partner got a donut hole with fair trade chocolate - healthy and light dessert which he really enjoyed.

Great service, reasonably priced, some fair trade ingredients, tasty food.

Pros: Fresh, all vegan food, Fair trade ingredients, Great service

Solid Vegan Restaurant in East Austin - Edit

Arrived just before noon on a Sunday. A bit crowded outside but inside was relatively sparse. Ordered a hot coffee w/ almond milk and their breakfast burrito. Both arrived promptly. Burrito contained an aioli-like dip and pico de gallo. Burrito and sauces were extremely delicious. Had to get a to-go box for 1/4 of burrito. Great size for the price. Would definitely recommend to a friend and will definitely be coming back next time I visit Austin.

Pros: Friendly staff, Good value, Excellent food

underwhelmed - Edit

Visiting Austin I was looking forward to my first all vegan restaurant experience, Counter Culture, but it wasn't as good as I hoped. The jalapeño cornbread was dry and didn't have much jalapeño if any. The beet burger was okay but not that great. Thought about dessert but not after the lackluster meal. Probably just an isolated experience, but I'm not that impressed.

Pros: All Vegan Menu

Cons: Not that great

Return to Austin Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Counter Culture closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.