Cornish Arms

Contact 93808383

163A Sydney Rd, Brunswick, Victoria, 3056

Serves meat, vegan options available. Hotel bar with a comfy lounge area. Offers pub food and has a separate vegan menu that includes pizza, faux chicken parmigiana, burger, falafel, and chips. Specials include vegan burgers, vegan fish and chips and vegan BBQ. Hosts trivia on some nights - see website for details. Mon-Thu 12:00pm-11:00pm, Sun 12:00pm-11:00pm, Fri-Sat 12:00pm-1:00am

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, Pizza, Western, Fast food, Beer/Wine, Non-veg

First Review by syl

Perfect for mock meat lovers - Edit

Sometimes you want some pub grub and The Cornish Arms fills that niche for me with its vegan pub menu. There's everything from a vegan version of KFC's infamous Double Down burger to vegan cheesecakes. The food is great and very filling.

It's always busy and a little loud, so the food can take a bit of time to come out and on busy nights, it's not great for quiet conversation, but it's a good atmosphere.

Pros: Filling food, Good atmosphere, Attentive wait staff

Cons: Food can take a while to come out, It's often loud

Great pizza, packed on a Tuesday night - Edit

Just like any good restaurant in Melbourne the Cornish arms requires a booking made any night of the week as they fill the large space with over 100 guests in no time!

Really loves the Hawaiian pizza, also a great range of beer on tap including 4 pines pale ale and Stone and Wood pacific ale

Pros: quality food, buzzing vibe and atmosphere

Cons: wait times, but too be expected when the food is s

Vegan mock meats, bring it on! - Edit

I absolutely LOVE the Cornish Arms. This review is based on several trips so I can say it has consistently good service and food.

Last time I went with my partner and his brother. They had a new special - the vegan halal snack pack - in tribue to Pauline Hanson. My partner's brother thought it was superb, nice "beef" strips with tabouleh and more. My partner got the Mac Daddy, which is like a vegan Big Mac with a side of chips. It was really good, best TVP burger we ever tasted and reminded us a lot of the Big Mac (only better!). I had the vegan double downer which is vegan cheese, facon and salad sandwiched between two vegan chicken patties- YUM! Came with a side of potato mash and gravy - I would have opted for a little less gravy, maybe serve it on the side, but it was really tasty overall. Have also had the pizzas here which are incredible, hot piping fresh with excellent vegan cheese and mock meat. Another visit my partner had the vegan nachos which were fantastic and I had the vegan fisherman's basket. They serve it with gardein fish which is the greatest, as well as vegan prawns and squid. Perfection! If the footy is on Channel 7 they will also have that on and you can chill at the bar and watch the game.

It gets very busy so make sure you book ahead for dinner!

Pros: Lots of vegan options, Great mock meat, Good service

Cons: Book ahead!

nup - Edit

The food is average - fried mock meats thrown together with some condiments. They sell this stuff for a few bucks Asian supermarkets and you can make it at home without having to deal with the staff at this place. The only thing this place has going for it is the fact that there's a vegan AND a non-vegan menu, so great for mixed events as other reviewers have noted. BUT, treatment from the staff is not worth it.

Pros: vegan and non vegan menu

Cons: staff, service, food

Amazing!! - Edit

I came here on the recommendation of many people. I'm so grateful for their advice as the food was just incredible!! There were so many great looking vegan options on the menu that I had to get a waitress to help me pick. At her recommendation I ordered the vegan double down. OMG. It was so insanely good. I'm still on a food high from it. Also, all the beer and ciders on tap are vegan, and the wine is marked. The staff are wonderfully nice and the atmosphere is great (although maybe consider booking ahead, I didn't so inside was full and I had to find a spare seat in the beer garden, which was still great as I was alone, but would be harder with a group). I'd 100% recommend a visit here if you're going to be anywhere near Melbourne.

Pros: Incredible food, Very reasonable price, Vegan alcohols

meh - Edit

We ordered the vegan souvlaki and vegan Parma. The souvlaki was more like a buritto with a very intense mock duck flavour. The mock chicken Parma had way too many spices, almost like a pre made pasta sauce you buy from Coles. all in all, it was on okay meal. if
they werent $20 each, I would maybe recommend.

Pros: large vegan menu

Cons: expensive and too many flavours

A great place for Vegans & Carnivores to come together! - Edit

Extensive vegan menu along side your started pub fare. Relaxed atmosphere & great service.
Meals were awesome would return.

Pros: Vegan & standard menu , Service, Food

Cons: Sticky table

Amazing Mock meat and Vegan Beer selection - Edit

Wow! A mate told me to try their Vegan Parma with Bio Cheese...yes I was skeptical! Beyond my expectations! There is so much to choose from on the menu for vegans as well as Omnis!

Pros: A variety of vegan options - food and beer!, Vegan club to keep you in the loop!

Cons: I have not discovered any yet

usual crowd-pleaser disappointed this time - Edit

While I wouldn't necessarily chose the Cornish as a dinner destination for myself, it's always been my go-to for a meal out with my family. As other reviewers have mentioned, it has a separate vegan menu, with plenty for meat-lovers as well. I've always enjoyed the pizzas with generous, tasty toppings and slightly fluffy, fresh bases. In the past I've eaten their mock meat sandwiches and burgers with relish, washed down with a beer. BUT last week I went in with my family and partner at lunchtime after my graduation. Looking forward to a celebratory lunch, you know? My pot of Coopers green tasted stale and flat. Like it was the end of the keg and/ or the pipes really needed a clean out. I ordered the ribwich - fake "rib" patty on a bun with onion rings on the side. It SUCKED. Okay, the rib patty itself was quite tasty - nicely chewy and marinated in a sweet, barbecue sauce. It sat on a few shreds of limp iceberg, a slice of soggy tomato, on a big, floppy stale bun. Gross. The onion rings, which I usually love, were pale. Oil in the deep fryer out there was obviously not hot enough to cook these golden and crispy, as you would expect. Needless to say I was really disappointed. Especially for the $16 you pay for a sandwich. Ripped off. I'm hesitant to go back now. Seems the CA is running down hill fast.

Pros: varied menu

Cons: stale beer, stale bread, overpriced

Great destination for a mixed party - Edit

I've been here twice now, both times with mixed veg/omni groups, and the Cornish Arms probably the best place I've been to in terms of accommodating such a group. So many vegan options, but the basic-food-desiring omnis had no cause to grumble. Each time, everyone enjoyed their meal.

The meat loathers pizza was good, but I've made better at home quickly and easily using a pre-made crust, BBQ sauce and a few types of mock sausage/peperoni + Notzarella. The BBQ chicken wings were scary good. I would personally have preferred them if they were shaped a little less like wings...

The first time, I followed the advice from the waitress, and ordered the Double Down. So much fake stuff! The potato mash and gravy was great, the slaw was excellent ans was also IMO necessary to break up the heaviness of the rest of the meal. The double down itself was quite something. Two "chicken" fillets in a spicy crumb, facon, only moderately nasty fake cheese (I have yet to find one that I like though), iceburg lettuce and tomato (I can't remember the last time I had iceburg lettuce). It was good, definitely some of the best non-sauce-drenched mock-meat I've had. At the same time though, it was still clearly mock meat, and not that great for eating huge quantities of.

The second time, I had the souvlaki. While I enjoyed it, I probably wouldn't order it again.

Despite the novelty of being able to have meals like that, in reality, I would enjoy a meal made with more actual vegetable content. Having said that, next time I end up here, I'll probably fall for the novelty of vegan pub food again.

As for desserts, the cookies and cream cheesecake was a little disappointing, the texture was a lot more pudding-like than cheese-cakey, and needed a bit of tartness to break up the heavy sticky sweetness.

Staff were neither remarkably good or bad. The first time they seemed to ask us if we wanted drinks more often than seemed necessary, and the table we were seated at was pretty small for 8 people. The second time, struggled a bit to get a the attention of the waitstaff.

Also, all their drinks are marked as to whether they're vegan-friendly!

Updated from previous review on Saturday August 15, 2015

Pros: Great for accommodating mixed groups, Vegan pub food

Cons: Small tables, Noisy

Best mock meat I've ever eaten. - Edit

Firstly, I just want to say that I'd give The Cornish Arms a 5 star rating but it seems I can't because it's not an all veg restaurant. I've been coming here at least once a fortnight for years, and I've not once been let down. Whether I was just popping in for a few beers or some cake or pigging out for dinner, The Cornish Arms was perfect every time.

The food itself is divine. If you're vegan but you love mock meats, then this is the place for you. They have a great range of meats, such as the classic chicken parma, battered fish and duck souvlaki. I think I've tried most of the vegan menu and everything I've had was incredible. My favourite would have to be the chicken and bacon burger with cheese, aioli and avo.

They do special deals each day, such as $7 pizzas on Fridays before 6 and $13 parma on Sundays, which came in handy when I was broke but still wanted to eat delicious food. They also do a weekly vegan special. Their dessert is a vegan cheesecake, which changes in flavour regularly.

The other aspects of this pub are also pretty great. They have regular live music, $10 jugs of beer every night and a lovely beer garden. The staff are nice and the service is always quick. I've been here to eat in quiet times during lunch and during the dinner rush whilst in a group of 15 people, and I've never had to wait more than half an hour for a meal to arrive. This is my favourite place to eat in the entire world.

Pros: Cheap jugs of beer, Amazing food, Good specials

Cons: none.

Hearty vegan - Edit

Yum if you love mock meat and hearty rich vegan pub-style food! This is the first one of its kind I've found locally and will be going back regularly. Service has always been friendly and prompt even during peak times. Highly recommended for a good veg meal, but if you don't like loud - choose your visiting times wisely.

Pros: Great pub-style vegan fare, Offers options for meat-eaters

Cons: Noisy, Not for a quiet, cosy meal

Inconsistent Olive Pitting - Edit

Some olives had stones while others did not. This caused a lot of confusion. Did I swallows stones? Maybe. But if that is the case there should be a public safety message on the bowl. Oh well, we didn't pay for them anyway! The cider works.

Pros: sXe bartender , Vegan parma, Iggy Pop

Cons: Hipsters, Thatisall

My awesome local - Edit

This my local pub and I'm so grateful it has a vegan menu. I love the vegan pizza for only $10 and the choc peanut butter cheesecake is fooking amazing! Working my way through the menu!haha They do deals on food most nights and have good rock and roll gigs. Spot on.

Pros: good pub in general, amazing vegan cheesecake, good prices

Cons: when busy service is very slow

Return to Brunswick Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Cornish Arms closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 1645 times since Apr 2013.