Copper Branch - Bishop

514-303-1800

1245 rue Bishop, Montreal, Quebec, Canada, H3G 2E2

Vegan restaurant opened Sept 2014. Offers plant-based meals with breakfast, burgers, sandwiches, wraps, bowls, and has a vegan poutine. Open Mon-Wed 7:00am-10:00pm, Thu-Fri 7:00am-11:00pm, Sat 8:00am-11:00pm, Sun 8:00am-10:00pm.

Category: Vegan, American, Western, Take-out

First Review by Happy Veg Man

Fresh food, nice atmosphere - Edit

We visit Montreal from Connecticut every year or so and are happy to have Copper Branch on our list of "must go" restaurants. The food is good, made fresh for you, and there are ample choices.

Pros: Totally plant based, clean and comfortable.

GMO Coporate Fastfood Posers - Edit

Copper branch seems more interested in your wallet than your health. After working there for a short period I feel that people should know some vital information about their food and practices. Copper Branch Veganaise and all their sandwich / burger sauces are made from non-organic Canola (90%+ chance GMO Monsanto canola oil - due to inadequate labellling laws in Canada). Canola oil is also used to cook a variety of vegetables and is the base for their deceivingly delicious brownies. This is is troubling since Monsanto giant round-up pesticides are sure to be in high abundance in Copper Branch menu items. Copper Branch has also been reported numerous times to: La Societe des Normes du Travail for having refused to fully pay their employees. They pay their employees minimum wage even though these great young people make every recipe from scratch, and are responsible for everything from Janitor services to food service. Copper Branch is the McDonalds of the Vegan trend wave! Personally I would opt for one of their competetors like Crudesence or Panthere Verte who have more abundance in their meal portions and their ethics / business practices.

Pros: tasty food, nice design, colourful meals

Cons: GMO ingredients, un-ethical labour practices, small portions

bikutoria 20 Apr 2016 - Hey, I was passing by and decided to leave a comment. As a fellow consumer, I agree with your concerns. However, I am surprised that you are complaining as an ex-employee to HappyCow and not to Copper Branch management directly. I presume your act of "exposing" is rather unethical, and if I were and employer, I would doubt to hire you again.
With that said, I also want to say that Copper Branch is a VERY VERY young business. Their goal is to serve healthy and sustainable vegan food. There are many factors that mean "healthy and sustainable", but you singled out some of them without bringing to light how much work this cafe ALREADY does. You shame them like vegans shame vegetarian restaurants - these places already make a step to change for better, and you are not helping but rather impeding their transformation. For instance, yes, the pay may be small, but employees know that they work for a growing food "startup" and need to be passionate about the cause and about GROWING WITH Copper Branch, not earning tons of money right away. Another example is "GMO canola oil" - you have not mentioned that most of their other ingredients are organic. (They barely use oil in the first place, if you ask me.)

Personally, I see the potential in Copper Branch. The food is good, perfect for everyday meals. I support this business, and as a smart consumer, I tell Copper Branch what changes I want them to implement (zero GMO ingredients/replace canola oil). As a smart consumer, I know it is hard for to be fully ethical & sustainable in a fast-paced food industry, but I stand with Copper Branch for them to grow & serve healthy vegan food & adopt smaller changes step by step :)
PS. I still like Crudessence and Panthere Verte, but one - I would not eat there every day, two - Green Panther also has "sugary" sins. I still love these two, but I feel your comparison is very unfair. Did they pay you?

Very Disappointing - Edit

I was really excited to try this place, the concept is amazing. Was really hoping for the Canadian answer to the Veggie Grill. The food however is not good. I tried the teriyaki burger and the vegan poutine. Neither was good, and considering I spent $25 after tip, I left very unsatisfied. The burger was tiny and the flavour profile was definitely biased far too much in favour of the sweet, not enough umami. The poutine was absolutely awful. The fries weren't cooked and were mostly raw, the gravy tasted of neither portobello nor miso and was very watery to put it politely. There was some shreds of vegan cheese in there, but there wasn't enough heat in the sorry mess to melt it. So the flavour and texture did not benefit. Maybe one day I will try it again.

Pros: fast

Cons: really not good food

Wonderful! - Edit

Wow - this place is 100% vegan, gluten and organic/nonGMO. There are so many tasty sounding choices that I'm going to have to return here before the end of my visit (even if it's just to try the poutine)! As the little French I remember is 'rusty' at best, I was happy that there was an English menu. I had the chicken sandwich that was fabulous! They are located centrally in the city which makes them very convenient for us out of towners.

Pros: lots of delicious options, great location, friendly staff

Nice option for healthy and junk food - Edit

There is quite a few vegetarian restaurants in the area, but I like how this one has extended hours, in the morning or at night. You can go there for the healthy yet delicious power bowls, but you can also satisfy your craving for a juicy burger with fries.

Pros: Vegan poutine, Nice modern place

Vegan poutine - Edit

The reason I found Copper Branch is because I was looking for a place where I could eat vegan poutine. I'm glad I found it, it was great. The gravy was interesting, they could have used a bit less salt though.

Pros: Fast and easy, Location

Cons: Service- both staff not bothered at all

delightful in Montreal (Rue Bishop) - Edit

While visiting the Musee des Beaux Arts we needed to refuel. Copper Branch was down the way. We had the epic Aztec bowl with quinoa...AMAZING. The restaurant is spotless, staff is cheerful & helpful and that brownie?! OMG get that bad boy on a plate warmed up omnomnomnom :)

Pros: clean, friendly,fresh,delicious

Awesome Tasty Vegan Fast Food - Edit

If you are craving the fast food which is usually hard to find when you are vegan, Copper Branch really offers some awesome burgers, sandwiches and even poutine to satisfy. I love that place, love the poutine which tastes even better than ''traditional'' poutine in my opinion, and the ''chicken'' sandwich tastes just like chicken, it's really quite awesome. Also their food is gmo free, which can excuse the slightly higher prices.
It may not be the healthiest (unless you order bowls or smoothies) but it's definitely healthier than non-vegan fast food chains' options!
Also, the staff is pleasant, with good friendly service.

Healthy but avoid the Poutine! - Edit

Strange bean/mushroom sauce they call gravy. Believe it or not, UNeedAPita has the best vegan poutine we've had. Smoothies weren't great but the bowls were wonderful.

Pros: Bowls

Cons: Poutine

All Vegan Food with Delivery Service - Edit

I am visiting Montreal for business and was so happy to find a vegan place that would delivery to my hotel room. I had the Copper beet and lentil burger and poutine, and was quite pleased. The food is not exceptional, but it was good and I really love that I did not have to go out in the cold and still got to enjoy a tasty vegan meal. I would definitely order from Copper Branch again.

Pros: Delivery Service, All Vegan, Vegan Poutine

Copper Branch - Edit

I went to this place and ordered the Aztec bowl. This bowl was very nutritious and tasty but I found it was too big to be healthy. Eating too much of a good thing is not really healthy as it is better to consume in moderation and not become like a pig when eating healthy. I prefer the Panthere Verte on Mackay Street as the salads are smaller and less expensive so I do not feel like I have over eaten.
I found the music was not very good. I prefer relaxing soothing music. The music seemed more like disco style music. I did not like the fact that all the employees were dressed in black. Black is a bit too business like. But the employees seemed like very human beings.

Pros: Lots of healthy nutritious ingredients, No tips required, opens very early

Cons: Bowls too large, Music of poor quality, Emploees all dressed in black

Vegan fast food has arrived! - Edit

I ordered a veggie burger and poutine for delivery on Monday night. The burger was cold (I'm not sure if that was intentional), but no matter, it tasted excellent. The poutine, yes real vegan poutine, was tremendous as well.

I don't know what they use in their ingredients, but I do know it's all vegan and tastes great. It's also very accessible with their fairly wide delivery area and they are also in the process of opening up 2 more locations in Montreal in the coming weeks!

Pros: Variety of Vegan Items, Opening Hours & Location, Delivery

Montreal's new Vegan Powerhouse! - Edit

Great food, awesome ambiance, and a company with purpose. Copper Branch's healthy, quick-serve menu items should be the new standard in fast-food!

Pros: 100% Plant-Based, Quick-Serve, Healthy Meals

Middle of the road vegan fast food - Edit

The restaurant is new and therefore clean. The food is expensive for what you get, and the sandwiches do not come with any sides ($9 each). Two sandwiches and a poutine was $27. Montreal has quite a few vegan options in this price range or close to it, with better quality food, so I suspect this place may struggle to compete.

Pros: it's vegan

Cons: food quality, price

Return to Montreal Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Copper Branch - Bishop closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.