Cool Basil

515-225-8111

8801 University Ave, Clive, Iowa, USA, 50325

Serves meat, vegan options available. Thai food restaurant. Will substitute tofu or extra veggies in place of meat.

Categories: Ovo, Thai, Delivery, Take-out, Non-veg

First Review by acwrice

Satisfied and pleasantly suprised, but not blown away - Edit

The aesthetics of Cool Basil were nice on the outside, and decent on the inside. They have an outside patio, but it was too hot so we sat indoors. Lots of booths.

I asked server if any of the curries had fish sauce and she retuned to say that both the mosman and yellow curries were made without fish sauce. They also served sushi (didn't see any simple veg rolls, just fancy fish rolls), stir frys served w/steamed rice, noodle dishes, fried rice dishes, and Chinese cuisine dishes.

For appetizer, we ordered veg pot stickers. They were pretty good but nothing special. I also asked if they would be able to make Thai iced tea w/coconut milk and the server said they were sorry but they couldn't since the coconut milk comes in large cans. I understood and wasn't too bummed.

My bf got the basil fried rice, it was good and had lots of veggies (onion, red and green bell pepper, carrot, basil and tofu). He got spice level "hot" and it wasn't too spicy. He also would have preferred that there would be more rice for the rice to veg ratio. Overall, he liked it and the portion size was decent.

I got the sweet basil spaghetti noodle dish. It had onion, carrot, bell peppers, Basil, tofu. I chose spice level "medium". the dish was tasty and filling. Both my partner and I wanted more heat to our food so we asked for chili paste. I thought chili paste was the spicy oil with dark red chili pepper flakes, but they brought out more of a condiment in a jar that was bright red with what looked like pepper seeds in it, and tasted like sriracha. It was good, but prefer the hot oil chili paste to kick the dish up instead of the sweet sriracha-like condiment.

The server we had was awesome and helpful. I didn't feel like she was annoyed with all our requests or questions, and did what she could to help. we had also asked for a side of steamed rice (I thought she forgot about it), so we just kept eating. The rice ended up coming out late, but she kindly took off the side of rice from the bill. I hope that all staff there are that nice. Appetizer and 2 dishes cost us $29. I think this is affordable and reasonable price for the experience.

I would go back to Cool Basil. Next time, I will get my dish spicier than medium or hot (they had super hot level).

Pros: Choose spice level, Lots of veg options, Patio

Cons: Spice level hot wasn't that spicy, Be aware of fish sauce

Great Thai place! - Edit

I've been here twice and left happy both times. Good number of option. If I remember right, there isn't fish sauce in the curries, but be sure to ask.

Pros: Lots of vegan options

Cons: Serves meat

shafess 06 Apr 2017 - There is fish sauce in the red curry, but all the other curries are fish sauce free. A few stir frys do have fish sauce though so still good to ask.

Return to Clive Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Cool Basil closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.