Cook's Cuisine

( 1 review )

1400 Needles Hwy, Needles, California, USA, 92363

Serves meat, vegan options available. Basic Thai restaurant where vegan is not noted on menu but the owner understands the vegan diet and will accommodate. Sample choices include yellow curry with tofu and vegetable pad thai. Not much else for veg/vegan food i this border town. Open Mon-Sun 11:00am-9:00pm.

Categories: Ovo, Thai, Non-veg

1 Review

First Review by KellyBone

A Oasis in the Vegan Desert - Edit

A spunky woman eyed us from the register. With my (always) friendly smile I asked "Can you make vegan Thai food? You know, like no fish sauce..."

She stared at me blankly.

"Ummm... no meat..." I continued.

She stared for another few seconds, then her eyes lit up, "Oh yes yes, I cook from many difference kind of people!" She then went on to explain that she was vegetarian for 4 years and that she didn't use fish sauce in any of her food because it's difficult to get in Needles and none of the locals care anyways. She handed us menus every though every single dish was meat based.

"You tell me what you like and I make it."

"Well, I like summer rolls, anything in peanut sauce..."

"You like curry?" she interrupts.

"You like yellow curry?"

So we ended up with Yellow Curry and vegetable Pad Thai. The curry is sweet, with a touch of spice. She kindly offered me a side of hot sauce since she made it on the milder side. The curry bowl was filled this cubes of soft tofu, broccoli, cauliflower, zucchini, red pepper and cashews and served with individual bowls of rice. The fresh veggies were also featured in the not oily, but also not that flavorful, Pad Thai.

For a vegan or vegetarians traveling on the I40, Cook's Cuisine is a find. Surely the best Thai food for 100 miles... and it's 100x times better grabbing dinner at Subway.

Updated from previous review on 2017-12-10

Pros: Sit down meal with vegan options

Return to Needles Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Cook's Cuisine closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.