Conscious 108

Contact 0116467250

108 Greenway Road, Greenside, Johannesburg, South Africa, 2193

Vegan food cafe, opened Mar 2014. Offers in-house baked goods plus wraps, sandwiches, bunny chow curries, burgers, hot dogs, and even vegan ice cream. Dinner menu changes once a week from Wednesday night. Uses meat substitutes. Open Mon 11:00am-9:30pm, Wed-Fri 11:00am-9:30pm, Sat 9:00am-9:30pm, Sun 9:00am-3:00pm.

Category: Vegan, Western, Bakery

First Review by lilliebliss

Delicious and cozy - Edit

I went there with some friends last Sunday for the Fry's specials. We found an absolutely yummy buffet (all you can eat) and a cozy environment. It felt nice to be able to dish up without having to ask if there's anything containing eggs or dairy or other animals products, because everything is 100% veggie. :) There were several options from wraps to burgers and strogonoff. The restaurant is a bit small, but it's situated in a nice area. Very good service too, the waiters spend their time to explain to you what options there are available and what they consist of. Must go back soon. I totally recommend.

Pros: Delicious food, Good service, Cozy environment

Cons: A bit small

Delightfully Delicious - Conscious 108 - Edit

As part of my Vegan Society 30 Day Vegan Pledge, I encouraged my non-veg colleagues to order lunch at Conscious 108 in Greenside. After a few emails and notes on the message board, we were a total of 6 participants. We ordered a Feel Good Bowl, A Veg Beef Burger, Tofu Wrap with Sweet Potato Fries, Vitamin C Boost and a Seriously Good Salad (Which was seriously good) as welll as Vanilla Un-Milkshakes.Everyone was very content with their meals and we also got free dessert "Snap Bars" as part of Vegan Restaurant Week (Yay!) and even the omnivores were envious! I visited them a second time with my "anti-vegan" dad and brother, who were both pleasantly surprised with the tasty food and friendly service. Conscious 108 is truly a well priced, good standard, perfectly located vegan restaurant. P.s. The also have soy-free, wheat-free, wholefoods and raw options available. I'm also very impressed with their collection of boardgames. This restaurant is truly the perfect vegan hangout.

Pros: Completely Vegan, Raw, Soy-free & Wholefood Options, Decent Prices &Friendly Service

Cons: Service a bit slow, Parking is a bit of an issue

Want to go back! - Edit

Agree completely with lilliebliss, the food is great, without the feeling that it's self-consciously Good For You. The four of us all had different main courses and all declared them delicious. Our friends warned that the service could sometimes be a bit slow but it was a Monday night, the place wasn't very busy, the waiter was cheerful and the food came in good time. We also had a couple of bottles of perfectly good organic wine, without the normally thin and insipid taste of sulphite-free wines. The rest of the menu looked equally enticing and we're just sorry we live 1000s of miles away. The cost of the whole evening was really good, even by South African standards, and, of course, laughable by UK standards.

Pros: Good, tasty and satisfying food, Friendly and relaxed

Cons: Too far away from the UK

Delicious Food and Creative Options - Edit

The food at Conscious 108 is pretty good and I like the variety of options. The service was great as well. My husband had the butter bean bunny chow and I had the karmic bowl. My husband seemed to enjoy his bunny chow because he ate it rather quickly. I tried a bite but wasn't really paying attention because I couldn't stop swooning over the caramelized onion mashed potatoes in the karmic bowl. The star of our meal however were the un-milkshakes and dessert. For dessert we had the carrot cake; the cake itself was okay, not particularly a stand out, but the winner was the frosting... That frosting! I could eat a bowl of it.

Pros: Good food, Good service, that frosting!

Absolutely Amazing - Edit

Being an expat from South Africa, currently living in Paris, France, it was heart warming to go back home and see that the vegan movement is growing in such a calm and beautiful way. I was so happy with this place I went three times in the seven days I was staying in Joburg. The food was amazing, the staff just perfect and helpful and fun and friendly. I honestly can't say enough good things about this place, only problem is I miss it so much already but managed to get them some amazing new loyal customers.

Pros: Staff, Food, Decor

Cons: It's too far away from me :)

Vegan Delight - Edit

This gem is such a treat, open for dinner as well which is a bonus! Tasty food, with weekly specials & incredible desserts. A perfect example of delicious, healthy & affordable! I'll keep going back :-)

Naughty Vegan Food - Edit

Finally we have a vegan restaurant that serves naughty food! 'Chicken' mayo sandwiches, Mexican burritos with vegan cheese and vegan sour cream, chocolate cake, carrot cake, chocolate brownies with a choice of home made vanilla, chocolate chip or chocolate ice cream. Bubblegum cupcakes, hot chocolate with a really fun and delicious surprise in the bottom of the glass! Burgers, hot dogs, bunny chow and vegan croissants or bagels! This is naughty vegan heaven. The food is very reasonably priced and it's all scrumptious. Yum yum, just writing this makes my mouth water for that carrot cake. Moist, carroty, the icing isn't too sweet or too thick... Just go try it!

Return to Johannesburg Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Conscious 108 closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 3182 times since Apr 2014.