Commonwealth Cafe and Pub

( 1 review )
510-663-3001

2882 Telegraph Ave (at 29th St), Oakland, California, USA, 94609

Serves meat, vegan options available. British pub type restaurant. Vegan items are clearly marked and include a vegan curry and a vegan sausage sandwich. Open Mon-Sat 10:00am-11:00pm, Sun 10:00am-9:00pm.

Categories: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, American, British, Irish, Non-veg

1 Review

First Review by Megski

The Commonwealth, a British pub in Oakland - Edit

We searched the Happy Cow app while in Oakland for somewhere suitable for a vegan and a carnivore to have lunch. The Commonwealth was both the closest and, as I"m from England, the pub concept was appealing.
This is the closest i've found so far to a British pub feel, its not a huge place but there's plenty of seating and the atmosphere is welcoming with friendly staff and customers alike.
The menu is small and the vegan choice was limited to a salad, although other salads could be made vegan on request and one chickpea curry with basmati rice, pitta bread and mango salsa. I ordered the curry, minus the pitta as I'm gluten free.
The food was good, nicely presented, a larger portion than I could eat, served quickly and reasonably priced, oh, and they serve Old Speckled Hen behind the bar, all in all a good choice for us. I'd certainly eat there again, not regularly as the choice is limited, but definitely when you need somewhere to accommodate both plant based eaters and carnivores.

Pros: good value, friendly, great tasting food

Cons: limited menu

Return to Oakland Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Commonwealth Cafe and Pub closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.