First Review by CowGirl56

I love the co-op! - Edit

They carry things (like my tomato soup) that I can't find anywhere else! They also have a great selection of veg food.

Lots of vegan prepared food! - Edit

I always stop at Common Ground when I'm in Urbana.

The cafe offers made-to-order sandwiches, vegan pizza by the slice, and hot soups. I love the vegan seitan reuban and the butternut squash sandwich is equally amazing (both can be made vegan with daiya).

I am totally addicted to the vegan scones. There is generally a whole-wheat option (my favorite) and a few "regular" flour options (scone flavors vary but are always delicious and often creative--strawberry-basil, banana-chocolate-chip, raspberry-lemon). There are also vegan cookies, muffins, and brownies in the pastry shelf area. Everything is always very fresh.

The salad bar has hearty vegan toppings like baked tofu and marinated gigante beans. The vegan prepared food usually includes hummus, chickpea salad (love this stuff), tofu "egg" salad, pasta and grain salads, potato salads, raw kale salad, vegan cold sandwiches and breakfast burritos, tofu quiche, and vegan ready-to-heat dinners (like tofu pad thai). Desserts include vegan chocolate mouse and pie slices. For a vegan who likes to eat and prefers not to cook much, this place is heaven! Prices are very reasonable too.

The produce is also excellent with many organic and local options and there's plenty of grocery items if you do want to cook (typical health food/coop selection). They also have a nice bath & body section.

Whether you want groceries or a hot meal, you really can't beat this place!

Pros: Very vegan-friendly, Cafe, prepared foods, baked goods, Excellent produce, complete groceries

Only place in town with gluten-free vegan pizza! - Edit

I love the co-op overall, but I especially love their deli and bakery.

They have vegan baked goods and to-go food, as well as vegan hot food. I was surprised to find a variety of vegan pizzas available to order, and then I was floored to find they also have gluten-free options! Common Ground is the only place I've ever been able to have a vegan gluten-free pizza, and it was delicious -- packed with a nice variety of veggies!

My only gripe is that the pizzas are thin crust and probably 14" (I didn't measure) and run about $15 after tax, which is a bit pricey.

Pros: Vegan deli and bakery items, Vegan hot food to go, A few GF + Vegan items!

Cons: Price slightly high

Great Co-op!! - Edit

I love this store!! Everyone is so nice and it's the ONLY place in town where I can find my tomato soup!!

The awesomest co-op ever! - Edit

Since moving to it's new location in Lincoln Square Mall, Common Ground has not only expanded it size, but it has, most importantly, become even more accessible to the community. They have an impressive selection of bulk items, and their produce (all organic and, when possible, local) is wonderful. Their deli is pretty kick-ass, with anything from baked goods to quiche to salads. Not everything is vegetarian or vegan (they have some frozen meats), but the deli is completely vegetarian, and most items are vegan. If you have any questions about any of the food items, the employees are always more than happy to help. So, if you haven't been, go check out Common Ground and support your local co-op!

Pros: good value, friendly staff, wide selection

Cons: pricey specialty items

VERY nice - Edit

Very nice new store! Great selection, decent prices. Deli has many ready to eat vegan and vegetarian meals. Great for a quick lunch.

Return to Urbana Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Common Ground Food Co-op closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.