CLOSED: Commensal - McGill College

Contact 514-871-1480

1204 Av McGill College, Montreal, Quebec, Canada,

Serves meat, vegan options available. In Oct 2012 this previously all veg buffet restaurant chain switched to flexitarian and offers fish and poultry in a separate case. Several locations. Features a large self-serve hot and cold buffet spread that includes soups, pate, main entrees, desserts, many of which are vegan-friendly. Food is priced by weight. JAN 2014 reported changed to Resto Vego.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, International, Western, Buffet, Salad bar, Take-out, Non-veg

First Review by jeejee0

What the ... ! - Edit

How they could flip the bird to so many loyal customers who supported them for so long is beyond me. If they needed a boost to their bottom line, there are so many other things that would have been better than taking the lazy way out and serving animal flesh. Revisiting their menu! Maybe offering low fat or gluten free for example! As the old Commencal, they were a haven for those who chose to eat compassionately and with an eye on being mindful for the environment. As a flex resto, they are a cafeteria style establishment and nothing special.

Sell-Out of the year! - Edit

This place used to be a haven for vegetarians, but now we are at a loss as to to how they could make a decision to start serving meat. They've basically said screw you to their loyal client base, most of whom went there for a peaceful meal where you didn't have to worry if it became contaminated with meat. even evil corporations like mcdonalds are adding more vegetarian options, so it's all the more baffling that a well-established vegetarian mini-chain would make the opposite move, even if they have a complete disregard for ethics. Most of us who have supported this place for years will now be boycotting it. I urge tourists coming to Happy Cow to do so as well...montreal is a city known for it's restaurants and there is a plethora of other vegetarian/ vegan restaurants here that have not sold their principles for profit.

Cons: meat, meat, meat

Taking the wrong path - Edit

I used to eat here, mostly because it was vegetarian and conveniently located; the food's never been anything to write home about, and now that it's not even vegetarian anymore it's not worth it. Too bad, if they weren't making enough money, they didn't do some work and improve their veggie options - some new recipes, keeping the food hotter - instead of deciding to serve meat. It's not as though Montreal needs more meat options!

Pros: Conveniently located, Quick

Cons: Expensive for what you get, Never quite hot enough, Boring food

No longer Vegetarian - Edit

Latest news is that Commensal is no longer Vegetarian and has switched to a "Flexetarian" diet. They now will be serving Chicken, Shrimp and Crab. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=umVYo3fxWbI&sns

ok and convenient - Edit

The food is served buffet style. Many clearly market vegan options. They have a cold salad section, a warm section and a dessert section. You pay by weight but now there is maximum you pay at lunch and dinner regardless the weight of the plate. It adds up quite quickly anyway!
The food is by no means amazing but it is a convenient downtown location and you eat fast. The food is very fresh, but never warm enough sadly.
Spring rolls were really good and the cabbage salad was very tasty. The rest worked out.

I just love a good buffet! - Edit

My husband and I ate here on our recent visit to Montreal. I couldn't believe how much seating there was! And what an extensive buffet! I sample a lot of food and it was all excellent.

Pros: Buffet - quick service

Convenient, nice salads - Edit

It is great there is a veggie place so close to the shops! It was easy to find, with a great view over the street for people watching and busy. I went there for lunch and dinner, having salad for lunch and hot stuff for dinner (choosing what I wanted, paying by weight). The salad was lovely, tasty, with nice pates, avocado halves, asparagus, tofu etc. Dinner was a bit disappointing, it wasn't very warm and looked like it had been sat there for a long time. Same selection as the St Denis branch. There were a lot of signs warning about pickpockets/thefts, but it felt safe.

Pros: Convenient, Salads, Reasonably priced

Cons: "hot" food

Good especially for a quick meal - Edit

We ended up there as we were going to the Bell Centre. It is within the walking distance. Buffet style of food readied to go, so it is really fast and convenience. The atmosphere is good and the window seats let you see the world going under you. However, we think the variety of food is lesser if compare with the branch at St Denis.

Pros: Quick, Atmosphere, Location

Cons: Selection of food

Great Variety, Convenient Location - Edit

I ate lunch at Le Commensal while visiting Montreal. It was conveniently located downtown. The vegan food was clearly marked, which was helpful. Vegan options available included a greek tomato stew with tofu, 3 types of vegan pate, ginger tofu, several cold salads, soy based cheesecake, chili, etc. There was not any vegan cheese (aside from the cheesecake) for items such as pizza, quiche, quesadillas, etc), but there was a big enough variety for vegans.
None of the food I ate I would rave about; it was a bit bland. However, I would go back because of the amount of choices, and with the cafeteria dining style, it was also quick. I'm sure if I lived or worked in the area I would be a regular customer.

Pros: Big Variety, Quick, Vegan Desserts

Cons: a little bland, Kind of expensive

Great... for what it is - Edit

Le Commensal is a Montreal vegetarian institution, of sorts. To begin, it is somewhat expensive, cafeteria-style, weigh and pay restaurant. In that it operates like a cefeteria, it seeks to offer a variety of foods and, with the variety that they serve, unquestionably has something for everyone. Le Commensal is a perfect stop if you and your dining-mate(s) cannot decide on what to eat or where to go.

This is not fine dining. I rate Le Commensal for what it is. Of course, when dining out, I prefer nothing short of a fresh-cooked plate. At Le Commensal, the food is fresh but it is left out for you to heap on to your plate, protected by a sneeze-guard... if you're okay with that, dig in. It's good eating.

It should be noted, Le Commensal also offers heat-and-serve, pre-packaged food made on-site. It can be purchased at their locations and also at many Montreal-area supermarkets.

Pros: Variety, Great cooked tofu

Cons: Expensive, Buffet

Ça vaut plus la peine que jamais! - Edit

J'aime beaucoup ce resto surtout pour le lunch mais aussi pour un repas sain lorsque je suis en ville a faire du shopping ou apres le gym! Il y a un bon choix de plats de toutes sortes et les desserts sont super! C'est une formule buffet et on paie selon le poids de l'assiette. Depuis peu, ils ont instauré une politique du prix maximum, et on ne paie jamais plus cher que 12,95$ le midi et 15,95$ le soir peu importe le poids. na vaut vraiment la peine!

Pros: Sain, diversifié (permet de gouter a tout!)

Only OKAY food - Edit

The food here is okay. Nothing special about it though. They charge by weight, so I find it to be over priced. When I went here, me and my boyfriend each got an average sized plate of food and our total came to $45. Nothing special about any of the items and too expensive.

Cons: overpriced, only average food

Good food, great location - Edit

We picked this restaurant after reading about it in the Lonely Planet Canada guide. We had dinner sitting next to the windows and had a great view of downtown Montreal. The staff was friendly even though it was late and it was obvious they wanted the restaurant to empty as soon as possible. We picked different items from the hot and cold buffets, which were clearly labeled, and I just wished we had gone there earlier in the day as I felt that the food wasn't as fresh anymore. I'd definitely recommend it and wish there was something similar near my workplace!

Great downtown venue for lunch or coffee & cake - Edit

We had lunch at Le Commensal - Mc Gill College twice in June while on holiday in Montreal.

The dishes very similar to the Commensal in Quebec City, you can check out my review for details.

Just like in Quebec City the explanatory labels for the dishes were in English and marked clearly which dishes were vegan which was great. The food labels were in much better order in Montreal than in Quebec City, which made it easier to find the individual dishes.

The location was very convenient, right in the middle of downtown and just a few minutes walk to Mc Gill University.

The restaurant is on the first floor of an office building and has huge windows so you can enjoy the daylight while watching the busy goings-on on the street beneath.

The decor is nice and modern and the crowd is a mixture of casually dressed people and office people.

Yummy and Varied - Edit

Oh so many wonderful yummy choices! It so great to have a place where you can choose a little bit from all these great, unique, and delicious choices whom are all labelled so clearly as to whether they have soy, dairy, or wheat. There are so many different "types" of food from borscht to pizza to soup to pasta to fried tofu and more that everyone will find something. The vegan desserts are super delicious.

My only problem with this place is price. If you go all out or choose heavy things, you can pay $30+. A conservative plate will probably still hit $15. I don't know that it is unreasonable, but it is restrictive enough that you become worried about the cost as you are choosing things which detracts from the experience.

Pros: Delicious, Huge variety, Yummy desserts

Cons: Expensive

Prepare to Feast!! Super yummy and affordable! - Edit

We visited montreal recently for 1 week, and we had almost all of our meals at this restaurant!! Why? Because the food and atmosphere was that excellent!

There was a huge buffet of cold, hot, salad, and dessert dishes. Each dish was marked with a name & ingredients. They even had a logo/symbol system to indicate the vegan menu items, which was very helpful.

Altogether, about 40 items to choose from!! Most of the main meal & salad area were vegan; the dessert area had 3 vegan options.

The cost was dependent on weight of plate. Our meals (which were piled very high with food!) cost between $9-15 only!! Water with your meal was free, otherwise you could buy drinks separately.

It was superbly clean, and huge (which was good, because it filled to capacity during lunch time!). It opened at 11.30am, and closed at 10pm.

We stayed at Hotel Le Crystal which was super plush, and only 7 minutes walk from the restaurant, which came in very handy. As i said, we had the majority of our meals (all except 2), and we didn't get tired of it, as there were always different things to try on the buffet.

Because it was a buffet, it was super-fast service, and the windows seats were great to watch the world go by.

All in all, an amazing restaurant for veggies and non-veggie people due to super yummy, hearty & healthy food. If i ever go back to montreal, i'd eat all my meals there again!

Pros: Huge Variety, Super Yummy, Excellent Value

Healthy Fast Food - Edit

I love this place for a quick healthy bite when I'm in a hurry. It's a buffet, so everything is ready for you when you come in and it's freshly made - I've seen their staff bring out fresh food from the kitchen during every single visit. Watch out about piling the heavier food on your plate (like seitan or noodle dishes), it's pay-by-weight so it can put a dent in your wallet.

My only complaint is that I honestly wish they had more vegan desserts. I get tired of the same tofu cheesecake over and over again. Other than that, the staff are very friendly and helpful, the place is always clean, the ambience is lovely. I also love that they try to purchase as much locally grown and organic food as possible. This food beats any food court fare, any day.

Pros: Good food, Organic and local ingredients, Fast

Cons: Can get pricey, Lack of vegan dessert variety

Excellent - Edit

We visited Le Commensal in May 2006 and found it to be far better than the Le Commensal in Toronto where we live, although that location is also quite good. We thoroughly enjoyed eating there and would return again the next time we're in Montreal.

Pros: Excellent variety, Lots of vegan options, nice atmosphere

Awesome!!! Best vegan resturant EVER - period! :) - Edit

My husband who is vegan often travels for business and I use Happy Cow to plan out his meals. I stumbled across Le Commeensal while he was in Montreal on business and he has been raving about it to this day, 6 months later!

Basically it is a cafeteria style/buffet style resturant with more choices then you can even imagine! Soups, meals and desserts - Vegan Cheesecake - need I say more?! :)

My husband ate there everyday while in town and never had to eat the same thing twice because there are that many things to choose from! The prices are so resonable and you can easily have soup, salad, meal and a dessert on the cheap.

I can't say enough good things about this place and I highly recommend it!!!

Pros: Sooo many options!, Prices are great!, Good location!

Cons: To many options, will turn you into, a fat vegan! :)

pay by weight buffet - Edit

all vegetarian, a good bit vegan, increadible variety for the picky folks... its pay by weight so big eaters be careful, a nice atmosphere, awesome location, and food was pretty good, desserts too! they have a small selection of single serving wine and beer too!

Fantastic - Edit

I was here a few years ago while visiting Montreal, and I still talk about it. Huge selection of dishes at the buffet, and everything I tried was delicious. Very nice atmosphere, particularly for a buffet place, and a sweet location. You pay by weight, so be prepared to spend a bit of money if you're like me and want to try everything.

Pros: Great buffet selection, Delicious food, Nice atmosphere

Return to Montreal Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has CLOSED: Commensal - McGill College closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 3107 times since Aug 2007.