Comida Naturista Irene's

Contact 45224433

441 Avenida General Flores, Colonia Del Sacramento, Uruguay,

Serves meat, vegan options available. Serves burgers, pizza, salads, stir-frys with diabetic, vegan, and celiac choices. Owner knows what vegan and vegetarian mean and speaks some English. Menu in English and Spanish. Free Wi-Fi.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, Pizza, Chinese, Italian, Non-veg

First Review by cincorobles

just meh - Edit

saw it by chance and it's actually only one of two "veg friendly" restaurants in this even more mediocre town.at first I was happy about the options but it turned out to be just really bad tasting food. Better than nothing for sure but still...if you can cook yourselv do it. the service was just plain, neither frindly nor unfriendly. I would call it kinda expensive but I don't know what to compare with in Uruguay. never again. ;)

Passable. - Edit

Colonia is a tourist town, with limited options and high prices. Although you could probably come up with a vegan dish or two at most of the restaurants, Irene's is the only place that advertises vegan/vegetarian/GF (celiac) options and offers a separate menu listing them. They will serve you this food, and turned the wifi on when I asked about it, and have a working bathroom. And, it's on the main street in the modern part of downtown, walking distance from the historic downtown area if you've taken the ferry to explore on foot like us. So, it will meet all the basic needs, but unfortunately that's where the good parts end.

Service met the basic needs -- answering questions, bringing food. But I think the staff are introverts, or just not cheery people, as there was no extra positivity at all. When bringing the "check" (just an order sheet where she'd written what we got, no actual printed receipt), there was an awkward exchange where she asked us to give her the amount, in person, and asked if we wanted to leave a tip, to tell her verbally, while she was standing there (no place to write anything in).

Food was disappointing. The menu includes an item called "Smiles" for 100 pesos ($4 US). While people probably would be willing to pay this amount to get some smiles from the staff here, it's actually a frozen potato product (a french fry in the shape of a smile), marketed to moms to feed their kids with no effort. It's pretty ridiculous to put this on a restaurant menu, and the other food was similarly uninspired. We wanted to try chivitas, which is just a sandwich really but the only famous uruguayan dish I know, which advertised "wheat meat" as the context. It was unlike any seitan I've had before, soggy, spongy and not good at all.

Many have mentioned that it's expensive. Although it is expensive in the context of South America, at around $10 US per plate, looking at other restaurants in downtown Colonia they were all at this price point so I don't think Irene's was priced unfairly. But, I can sympathize that it feels terrible to pay a good amount and get dishes that come with no sides and look slopped together.

Even though I'd like to support veg food in places like Colonia, I don't think I'd come back to Irene's.

Pros: Vegan menu; menu in English and Spanish, Downtown location, Wifi

Cons: Bland, uninspired food, Service was awkward

Bad food, unfriendly staff - Edit

When they took away our sandwiches at the border of Uruguay, we had no other choice than to go to Irene's since I'm vegetarian and my friend is vegan. I ordered a burger with mashed pumpkin and my friend got noodles with vegetables. The lady of the house was not friendly at all and just seemed in a very bad mood. The food tasted bland (I would even say it tasted bad) and was over priced. I guess she doesn't have any competition in Colonia.

Expensive and not worth it - Edit

I had a cabbage-apple-pineapple salad that was expensive (200 pesos, about 8.5 dollars) and came with canned pineapple. The service was really not very friendly. But as has been said before, it's one of the rare spots where you can find vegan meals in Colonia.

More Expensive Than You'd Like - Edit

Food is fine, but costed to me and my wife like 47 dollars to have lunch. I'm a place that looks like a fast food. We had a bad surprise when the check came.

Pros: Easy To Find , Good Food At All

Cons: Prices Outta Reality

Good Option In Colonia - Edit

There aren't many vegan options in Colonia and Irene's offers a fairly good selection of basic health conscious choices. She has whole grain breads and pastas, soy preparations, green and fruit drinks. There are meat options also on the menu.

Pros: Vegan Choices, Bilingual Menu

Cons: Afternoon Hours Only

Return to Colonia Del Sacramento Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Comida Naturista Irene's closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 675 times since Mar 2013.