Ha Thanh - Kim MaTheatre

116 Ngo 166 Kim Ma, Ba Dinh (at Kim MaTheatre), Hanoi, Vietnam, 844

Com Chay Ha Thanh offers dishes like veg beef pho (noodle soup), fried cauliflower mixed with sauces, veg beef with lemon leaves, veg spring rolls, and more. Also known as AU LAC- Ha Thanh. Call for hours - tell us.

Category: Vegan, Delivery, Take-out, Vietnamese

First Review by Marion

Ha Thanh - Edit

Dined here for the hundreth time, still one of the top 5 vegan eatery in Hanoi. Menu does have many 'fake' looklike tastelike dishes. I go for the fresh steamed mixed veggies 45.000d, yangzhou fried rice 35,000d and mushrooms 55,000d glass of passionfruit juice 30,000d. Was very nice.

Pros: 100% vegan, Quick service, Menu in English and Viet

What's on the box! - Edit

Tricky to find first off, check a new photo I added with the address clearly pictured. Also the google maps image puts it on the wrong side of Kim Ma Rd (note it's down alley 166) This place has a certain feel of discovery about it as a result and the very kind women rolling a huge pile of spring rolls for the next day let me come in for a late meal. I over ordered accidentally as they don't speak English and I don't speak Vietnamese. But that meant I sampled 2 dishes. One with TSP meat substitutes veggies and rice which was top not ch, good quantity and tasty. The second was a salad that I found had a peculiar palate, too much chilli (and I love chilli) and mint just took over and with it a 5 star haul

Pros: Vegan friendly, lovely ladies!, discovery vibes

Cons: must be careful what you order!

Worth seeking out - Edit

Google Maps wasn't very helpful but we eventually found Ha Thanh and it was worth the wandering around/getting lost! Everything was delicious, especially the soups. Great spring rolls. We've been here several times over the course of a working holiday and also got (free) delivery to our hotel.

Pros: great food, good atmosphere, inexpensive

Cons: slow when busy, difficult to find

they're greeeat - Edit

copy and paste: Cơm chay Hà Thành on Google maps to find the place is down an alley off main road buy it's amazing Kung pai chicken and some fried spring rolls, I'll def be back. was hoping for PHO but unlike the description he said no and it wasn't on the menu

Pros: great flavor fav

Good but ... - Edit

This restaurant is good when you really enjoy a lot of mock meats. Mock meat is usually good or OK for me but sometimes there are too much of them and you cannot help but thinking about the weirdness of the texture of what you are eating.

Else, the food is good. But I have kind of a weird experience with it (I only went there twice though).

Excellent. - Edit

We tried different dishes with rice : fried banana flowers (like mock fish - too real for me), sautéed gourd shooting, fried aubergines, tofu with tomato sauce, maize "pancakes" etc.

That was simply great and a reasonable price, not cheap but not expensive neither.

Highly recommended.

Pros: Tasty food, Big choice, Not expensive

Great food - Edit

We moved to Hanoi earlier this year and this restaurant is about 10 minutes' walk away from our apartment... so we eat here all the time. The food is great and the family who run it are very kind and friendly. Favourites on the menu include: Lau Thai (Thai hot pot); Pho Ga (chicken noodle soup); chicken legs; eggplant in clay pot; lemongrass tofu. Their set menu at lunchtime is very good. Plus they make good fresh juices.

They also have a small supply of products for sale (fish sauce, dried meats, broth mixes, etc).

Extensive mock meat menu - Edit

If you want mock meats then definitely give this place a try they've got every mock meat and mock egg under the sun.

Great immitations, but as a regular customer I wish they could do more with tofu or vegetable dishes.

However a good opportunity to try dishes such as bun cha which normally you can't as a veg*n.

Quite cheap and well worth the trek for, once you reach alley (ngo) 166 there will be signs say 'com chay'.

The staff are well used to foreigners.

Pros: mock meats, all vegan

Cons: staff could be a little more friendly, no desserts

Delish- Don't miss it! - Edit

This place was an absolute gem! We happened to snag a recommendation from a local vegetarian and although we had some trouble finding it (it is down an alley, and it was at night!), we are so glad we did!! We ate the #83 'vegetarian food wrapped in rice paper' which we thought was too funny not to order, the veggie ribs, mushrooms in spicy lemongrass, and a soup that was unexpectedly delivered to our table, so we don't know what it was, except that it was divine! Absolutely everything we ordered, including the pineapple and carrot juice drinks was lip-smacking good. And despite the fact that we don't speak any Vietnamese, and the staff's English was limited, the menu is partly in English and the rest we figured out through pointing and nodding. All in all, don't miss this place, especially if you like mushrooms and lemongrass!

Pros: friendly staff, cheaply priced, excellent food

Cons: hard to find, cold in winter

one of my favorites in Hanoi - Edit

one of the reviewers aid there are only 4 tables... well that is true on ground floor, but if you venture up the stairs there are many more rooms with tables. food here is excellent and affordable... Com Dia - daily sets range from 20-40K dong. It is a bit hard to find the first time... down the alley to the left and on your right... but well worth the effort.

Pros: excellent food, great value, friendly staff

Cons: confusing location for first timers

Veg friendly restaurant in Hanoi - Edit

I have been here three times and the food is always good. I can't think of what to recommend, because nothing is amazing, but it is consistently good and worth checking out if you are looking for a veg. friendly place. There is additional seating upstairs, so you should be guaranteed a place. The menu is in English and they are used to foreigners, but the English of the staff is limited. I've generally had a main dish, soup, and drink, which is ~75,000 VND total. You do need to go down an alley, but there are signs, so just be on the lookout for them.

Pros: Large menu, Decent price

Nice little veg spot down an alley - Edit

This is a nice veg spot with a large menu. You can get full-course family meals here for a great price. None of the staff speak English, though, so you'll have to manage by pointing if you don't know any Vietnamese. It is located down an alley on Kim Ma street, and is within walking distance of the Hanoi Horison Hotel. I have had the Pho here (with mock chicken) and it was excellent. I do not recommend the salads or cold foods. Prices are also quite cheap. You can get an excellent meal for 50,000 VND and can walk away STUFFED for 100,000 VND.

Difficult to find but worth it - Edit

Not easy to find, down an alley, even Vietnamese people didn't know where it was but found it eventually. Only 4 tables but very good freshly cooked food.

Pros: Difficult to find

Cons: Very good food

Return to Hanoi Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Ha Thanh - Kim MaTheatre closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 4958 times since Jul 2009.