Collegetown Bagels

Contact 607-273-0982

415 College Ave, Ithaca, New York, USA, 14850

Serves meat, vegan options available. Has smoothies, sandwiches, and salads. Vegans can get tofutti cream cheese, tofu scramble, vegan chicken salad, and seitan sandwich. Bread is freshly baked. Also sells ready-made entrees. Vegan options are clearly marked.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, American, Fast food, Take-out, Non-veg

First Review by DaisytheHedgehog

Poor service, okay food - Edit

They have a huge menu with lots of interesting offerings. Even as a vegan, I felt spoiled for choice. I ended up having a decent meal, but unfortunately that was entirely overshadowed by the poor service.

You see, I came here twice on the same day. First, I was there in the late morning, a little before the lunch rush. I ordered a panini while my partner ordered a bagel sandwich and a coffee. Her order came out in normal time, probably within 5-10 minutes. I started to worry that they had forgotten my order when she was pretty much done with her meal and I was still waiting longingly for food (about 20 minutes had passed).

So I asked one of the cashiers to check whether my order had gone through. She seemed baffled that I would ask such a thing, and she gave me a side-eye as she walked to the deli area to check in. She came back and assured me that my panini was coming right up. 10 minutes later, and it still hadn't arrived. After waiting a total of 35 minutes, my sandwich finally came, and I promptly devoured it - it wasn't very large (more of a snack than a meal), and I was super pretty hungry at that point. It was a decent sandwich, but definitely not worth the wait.

Stupidly, we came back again in the afternoon hoping to grab a quick drink before hitting the road for Boston. We tried to give CTB the benefit of the doubt, blaming the prior sandwich delay on the heavy lunch traffic. Unfortunately, the service problems run deeper than that. We learned this lesson the hard way, as our smoothie didn't come out for 20 minutes. This time, there were no excuses; it was early afternoon and there were basically no other customers around and the staff were chatting about weekend happenings throughout. We checked in about our order, and it turns out our order ticket was just left on the counter and was forgotten about. I have no idea why this happened twice (!) to us in two visits on the same day, but it's maddening, and really makes me question the management here.

And to make matters worse, the smoothie was ultimately not very good, in spite of being quite overpriced ($6.20 I think). At that price, I thought it would be a gourmet drink packed with healthy and fresh fruit, but it turned out being more like a gas station icee drink instead. Not at all worth it.

Pros: variety of options

Cons: very long waits, poor service, overpriced

Overwhelming menu, very busy, know before you go - Edit

Went to two of the three locations...the one right near Cornell and the one in downtown near the Commons. The one near Cornell is big and busy, even in the summer. The menu is HUGE...has to have over 60 options with a few vegan ones here and there (typically grouped together). It's one of those places that has a long, quick moving line with a menu that is the length of the restaurant written in chalk. Reminded me a little of Claire's Corner Copia in New Haven, CT (near Yale). Best advice I can give you is try to check out the menu before you go and know what you want because if you go in there blind, you'll be overwhelmed. My fiance and I went twice while in the area...I got the Veganic Wrap and the Chicken Melt...both are on the smaller side but pretty good. Didn't blow me away but was a decent meal. My fiance got the Fritz Bitz and a bagel with cream cheese...again, nothing mind-blowing nor a large portion size. Very cool place to hang out, great atmosphere and some decent vegan options...overall not amazing but better than average.

Pros: Atmosphere, Vegan options

Cons: Hugh menu, Not the best food I've ever had

Yummy - Edit

SO NICE to have a bar that serves vegan food! The vegan chicken salad is awesome, and goes great with beer. Makes college vegans feel like normal people. But when I was there, none of the desserts were vegan. Still worth a visit, though!

Pros: Vegan food with beer!, Great atmosphere

Cons: No vegan desserts...Boo!

Great vegan options, but SUPER expensive - Edit

I'm a vegan Cornell student, so CTB is highly convenient. They have a tofu scramble and an amazing seitan sandwich that are my two mainstays. They also can substitute soy milk for most drinks and often have one or two vegan desserts (like coconut rice pudding, but you'll have to check the ingredients- won't be explicitly written vegan). It's a nice casual atmosphere, but can be swamped depending on the time of night. They have a lot of vegetarian options as well.

Pros: Good vegan proteins, Convenient

Cons: EXPENSIVE!!!

Return to Ithaca Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Collegetown Bagels closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 1193 times since Dec 2011.