Cogans

757-627-6428

1901 Colonial Ave (at W 21st St), Norfolk, Virginia, USA, 23517

Serves meat, vegan options available. Has vegan and vegetarian dishes such as vegan chicken, vegan beef, vegan pizza, subs, and sandwiches. Opened since the 1970's. Open Mon-Sun 12:00am-2:00am, Mon-Sun 11:00am-12:00am.

Category: Vegan-friendly, American, Pizza, Beer/Wine, Delivery, Take-out, Non-veg

First Review by kayaktom

Pretty good - Edit

My husband and I have been here several times, we used to get the vegan pizza with Daiya cheese, but the vegan uncharge is ridiculous! We started ordering veggie pizzas with no cheese, and sometimes a side of vegan garlic oil to dip in for a little extra flavor. It's one of those places that's good enough and close by, so we go occasionally when we really want pizza. Also, I'm glad it's close by because I don't recommend using the bathroom there. It's always filthy.

Pros: vegan options

Cons: high vegan up-charge, filthy bathrooms

Nice Bar with Multiple Vegan Options - Edit

This bar w/ pizza & sandwiches, etc, has a nice vibe. They are accommodating & have a variety of vegan selections.

Great Pizza & Vegan Sandwiches! - Edit

They offer a vegan BBQ chicken pizza that is amazing tasting! They also have vegan chicken or steak philly sandwiches that come with french fries. All are very fatty but delicious.
They restaurant is a little run down. It's probably been there forever, so it's not the cleanest. It's like a local dive bar with an outdoor smoking section that you have to walk through to get in. The atmosphere is not great, so get take-out or delivery.
The prices are pretty steep.

Pros: great tasting food, delivery available

Cons: have to walk through smoking section, really pricey

Food is okay, but vegan upcharge is way overpriced - Edit

This place is known as a good local hangout that has vegan and veg options. A Big plus in a town that lacks vegan restaurant options.

The atmosphere feels like a local bar that wants to be closer to campus with a few of your grandmother's old tables thrown in for seating. We ordered a veganized pizza and a couple of vegan sandwiches (fake meat) and enjoyed the meal once it eventually arrived. The food wasn't out-of-this world, but work-a-day good. Beer and pizza good. Not "oh my dog I'm coming back every week." The service was okay, but about what we expected.

The menu mentioned an up-charge for making items vegan, which we expected. What I didn't expect was a $3.99 charge per sandwich, and $6.99 up-charge for a pizza. The pizza already cost 18.99 and making it vegan was just a matter of adding Daiya instead of mozzarella. The sandwiches were regularly $7.99, so the up charge was more than 50% on those! By the way, fries instead of chips? Add another $1.

I don't mind paying a little more for vegan. Even mediocre food, but this is just crazy. If you're going to spend $13 for a sandwich and fries and $26 for a pizza, there are better options nearby and you'll be much happier paying the bill.

Pros: Has vegan options, There's room for improvement, Good beer selection

Cons: Expensive vegan up-charge, Food was just okay, Uncomfortable seating

Return to Norfolk Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Cogans closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 2071 times.