Coffee Whole

0431014 978

156 Lakedge Ave, Berkeley Vale, Central Coast, New South Wales, 2261

Small vegan cafe in Berkeley Vale. Changing menu, see Facebook for updates. Offers breakfast items such as granola, pancakes and toasts, lunches such as curries, burgers, nachos and salads and five course dinners on Friday by reservation. Has juices and smoothies. Open Mon 6:00am-2:00pm, Wed 6:00am-2:00pm, Thu-Sat 6:00am-3:00pm, Sun 6:00am-2:00pm.

Categories: Vegan, International, Juice bar, Bakery, Australian

First Review by JackSlack

F*** off d***head - Edit

My wife & I, along with my daughter & her one year old son arrived for lunch at 12:40pm on Monday 19 February 2018
We sat inside.
We ordered beverages & veggie burgers from the waitress at 12:45pm. We were the only patrons on the premises.
My wife heard the owner castigating the waitress in the kitchen. My wife said that he was angry - must have been having a bad day, she thought...
A young couple arrived about 15 minutes or so after us & placed their order.
We became aware of hostility & tension emanating from the kitchen. The owner turned the music up to try to cover himself. The atmosphere was becoming uneasy.
Our beverages arrived after a wait of 15-20 minutes - we thought this to be an unusual delay.
During this time, another four people arrived. One person left & the other three sat outside.
We were then surprised to see the meals arrive for the couple who had ordered after us. We wondered if our order had been misplaced, so my wife walked over to the counter to ask the waitress about the progress of our burgers.
The owner came straight out of the kitchen & said, "What's the problem?" He was aggressive & confrontational. He muttered, "It doesn't happen by magic", turned his back & went back into the kitchen.
My wife said again that he must be having a bad day, so we let it slide...
The atmosphere took another dive to downright unpleasant on the Richter scale & we began to wonder what we were doing there.
Our burgers arrived at 1:30pm, 45 minutes after we placed our order.
I mentioned to the waitress that the vibe didn't match the bohemian decor & that we thought that the delay was unacceptable.
The owner charged out of the kitchen towards me in the most aggressive manner imaginable & yelled at me, "What's YOUR problem!" Not a question but a threat, almost like the drunk in a pub who shouts "What are you looking at!"
He was spoiling for a fight & my wife thought he was going to hit me.
I answered him & said that my problem was his attitude & the now toxic vibe in the cafe, plus the 45 minute wait for three veggie burgers.
He scoffed as though the wait was normal & addressed my wife as "sweetheart" when he asked her if we'd booked.
I said to him immediately to NOT address my wife in that way.
What a sick joke - we were the only patrons when we placed our order - it's not a restaurant, just a crappy cafe.
He turned on his heel & yelled "F*** off d***head at me.
We left immediately without paying.
This was the worst eat out experience we have ever had.

Pros: None - this cafe & owner scores zero not two stars

Cons: The owner is angry, aggressive & swears at patrons

Saturday ‘Brunch’ - Edit

Small choice on menu but more than happy with food brought to the table.
Fairly large portions
Room for kids to play in clean airy cafe
Plenty of parking on Saturday!
Walk across road to the bay
Good coffee (every thing is vegan thou they will do Cow milk coffee I think)
Very friendly staff

We arrived 11:30 and on leaving at 14:15 (had a walk to fit in dessert!) they said they would be keen for us to book next time (4 adults 2 kids). They are a pretty small establishment

Overall very pleased.

Great food and atmosphere - service could be better - Edit

We went here on a Sunday afternoon and were pleasantly surprised to see that they had a special event from 12-4 not advertised in their usual opening times. They had lovely tables set outside in the sun and live music, which was great. We ordered three of their $5 street-food style menu items: nachos, falafel wrap and arancini, as well as a $10 bottle of kombucha on tap. The food was great, especially the arancini which were SO creamy. The servers did seem a little disorganised (quoted the wrong amount, and then forgot to give change) but they fixed it when we pointed it out, and the food did take a while to come as they had a fair few customers. I'd return as the food was really good, but perhaps don't come if you're in a rush!

Pros: Delicious food, Well priced, Nice atmosphere - cute plants everywhere

Cons: A little slow, Servers need a bit more practice

great little cafe - worth the diversion off freeway - Edit

Tasty food created and served with positivity.

Cooked to order so is very fresh

Worth your support!

All vegan gem - Edit

Coffee Whole is one of those places i had never heard of until recently but i'm so so glad that i was awakened to this little gem.
I'll keep it simple and short... This is a COMPLETELY VEGAN cafe, not a "vegan options" cafe. If you are a vegan or even a vegetarian i highly recommend visiting and supporting this awesome business. Vegans doing great vegan things :)

Food is next level (as seen in photos).
Coffee is great!
I have been more than 5 times now and i will keep returning. Highly recommend!

Pros: ALL VEGAN, Great coffee, Amazing creative vegan dishes. SO much flavour!

Good food and better coffee - Edit

This place was really good. Coffee was amazing, food was lovely. The only complaint I have about the decor is that one of their chairs nearly pinched off my finger but it didn't so who cares. Ahem.

So first off: I had their loaded sweet potato fries with mushroom, avocado, beetroot dressing and cauliflower aioli. All very good. Calling them 'fries' feels a bit disingenuous (they're really big wedges of sweet potato) but they were cooked perfectly. I feel the beetroot sauce and aioli could have stood to be a bit stronger in flavor, but the avocado was perfect. Lemon and avocado is a fantastic flavor combination and the green peas added in worked a treat. All in all the food was very good.

The coffee was perfection. Bonsoy latté; temperature was hot without being mouth-burning, flavor was balanced between a nice strong coffee taste while still being mellowed by the milk. Nailed it. Best coffee I've had in a very long time. Presented beautifully, in a glass tumbler rather than a coffee cup; surprising and excellent choice.

That said, the aesthetic of coffee whole is both very excellent executed and possibly a mistake given its location. Berkeley Vale is very much your classic suburban residential area (and in a nice concession to that there is a small children's play area); Coffee Whole shares a small strip mall with a laundromat, a financial advice company, a hairdresser and a property broker. This kind of pushes up against its spiritualist/vintage aesthetic and that kind of detracts a little bit from the vibe: The chosen aesthetic and the location feel constantly at odds. If I went again I'd probably choose to sit facing away from the windows to absorb myself properly. Still, I can't help but wonder if a poppier, more lively aesthetic might not be more fitting with its surrounds.

But this is nitpicking. The food was good. I had, excuse me, a damn good cup of coffee. The staff were extremely friendly and understanding. And the aesthetics of the place feel wrongfooted to me but are executed very well nonetheless. I will be back, make no mistake.

Pros: Delightful coffee, Small but varied vegan menu, Children's play area

Cons: A bit echoey inside; noise carries, Outdoor areas much less appealing than inside

Return to Central Coast Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Coffee Whole closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.