Cocorenos

562-438-9381

3400 E Broadway (at Belmont Heights area), Long Beach, California, USA, 90803

Serves meat, vegan options available. Small restaurant has few vegetarian dishes that and can be made vegan upon request: tofu burritos, vegetarian tacos, veggie taco salads, fajitas with tofu. No lard used.

Categories: Beer/Wine, Mexican, Non-veg

First Review by Andrealv

kryptonitewhale

Points +90

11 Sep 2018

Good Classic Mexican Food in Dive Bar - Edit

Came here after several recommendations from non-veg friends. A few vegan options available such as mushroom and tofu tacos, fajitas, and veggie burrito (order without cheese or sour cream). It is nice to find a Mexican restaurant that does NOT use lard or chicken stock in their cooking! They also cook in canola oil, not butter. I wasn’t blown away by the food but it was good for easy Mexican food at a great price. Place is small and a bit dive-y but staff were friendly and no issues with ordering vegan. Chips and guac were best I’ve had in Long Beach! I will definitely be going back to try some other vegan menu items.

Jess209

Points +19

18 May 2018

Fun 🌮, 🍺 & 🌯 Spot - Edit

Used to come in here fairly often as a vegetarian. My boyfriend and I are now both vegan, so I was hoping we could easily veganize my favorite menu items and I was in luck! We shared the blackened mushroom tacos and the deluxe veggie burrito. The rice which comes on the side of the burrito is vegan, just make sure to order the deluxe veggie without cheese or sour cream. The mushroom taco order doesn't need to be adjusted to be vegan. They have drink specials daily, so you can usually get a reasonably priced beer to enjoy your food with. I liked taking some of the guacamole which comes on the side of the burrito and having it with my taco, along with the house salsa as it seemed like it was needed to balance out the acidity of whatever the mushrooms were cooked with. My eating partner for the eve really enjoyed and preferred the flavor of the blackened shrooms solo. I remember loving the extra cheesy version of the deluxe, back in the day but without the cheese and sour cream it is a much cleaner taste, the pieces of avo in the avocado corn relish stand out more, as does the sweet and crisp jicama laced throughout the wrap. Don't get me wrong though, it still makes for one filling burrito. For being an almost hole in the wall omni place, which isn't shy to use meat and cheese, this spot has quite a few options for vegans and vegetarians. Ordering tofu, mushroom or veggie seems to be an option throughout the menu though. Enjoy!

Updated from previous review on 2018-05-18

Pros: vegan rice and chips, very veg friendly, drink specials

mbayogi

Points +56

19 Nov 2017

Not as Good as It Used to Be - Edit

I used to come to Cocorenos pretty regularly. It's where me and my non-veg boyfriend could both find something good on the menu.

Unfortuanately, last time I went I was disappointed that they no longer offered the mushroom taco. It was outstanding. Now, they just have vegetable taco on the menu and it's just full of onions and bell peppers. They also put cheese on them after I told them no cheese.

It's a small place so I started taking it to go. I think they give you free chips if you eat there....unless that's changed as well. It's the worst feeling when a good place goes bad.

Pros: Good rice and beans

Cons: Check your food before you leave

Bgilly

Points +767

Herbivore
18 Jun 2015

cozy joint with delicious veggie options - Edit

A small place with a bar and pool table area in back. Very tasty, loved the blackened mushroom tacos. There are more veggie options here than many other places which makes it worth it. Cozy, charming, more of a bar hang out place. I hear the meat dishes are ok, that other places are better, but if that's not the concern, then at least the veggie faire here is delicious!

Pros: a good number of veggie options, quick, reasonably priced

Cons: small, parking may be tough

TB

Points +100

17 Jul 2011

Vegan Friendly! - Edit

Lovely staff who are really honest about what's vegan and what's not, and willing to accommodate special needs. Yummy tofu, mushroom, etc. burritos and tacos. My absolute favorite thing to order here is the tofu fajitas - you get a large plate of food, so it's really worth the price. Coco Renos has both vegan beans (both black and refried are vegan!) and rice available, and the homemade salsa is amazing (and sometimes, amazingly spicy! - but luckily I like it like that ;) ). You can eat in their small taco shop, or pass through the open door-way into the adjacent bar (The Reno Room) and eat there. The Reno Room has a decent happy hour on Friday afternoons, so you can enjoy your delicious Mexican food with a cheap beer. I love Coco Renos!!

Pros: authentic vegan mexican food, vegan fajitas, vegan refried beans and rice

vegananarquista

Points +18

06 Jul 2009

Deluxe Veggie Burrito - Edit

This place was awesome! They were extremely respectful and patient about what I ordered. Since I am vegan, there were a few things I requested to take off my burrito, and it was hassle-free! I ordered the Deluxe Veggie Burrito with NO cheese or sour cream and added blackened mushrooms. It was so delicious AND filling! I had to take some home because it was a lot of food, which is rare for most vegan-friendlt or strictly vegan places. I love that their rice is vegan too (absolutely NO chicken broth or lard!) The salsa that they serve you with chips before the meal is very tasty. I am a salsa-holic, so I know a good salsa when I taste one! :) They also cook the tofu and mushrooms on a separate grill from the meat. A+!

Pros: Friendly staff, LARGE portions, Affordable

Cons: Serves meat

nardanddee

Points +1538

14 May 2009

Vegetarian Taco Platter - Edit

This listing on their menu had me VERY excited. The platter comes with two tacos, rice and beans (black or refried). The service was fast, too. However, I was a bit disappointed that the vegetarian tacos consisted of rice and black beans. Had I known that, I would have just ordered the two sides (as the platter already contained more of the same). So, I had plenty of rice and black beans (some of which were just placed in taco shells). Strange...but true. On the good side, the black beans and rice were seasoned well. Just wish that I had known that my vegetarian taco was coming with more rice and black beans. Needless to say...not the right meal to eat prior to flying back home.

Pros: fast service, good prices, accepts AMEX

Cons: parking may be hard to find, some menu items not explained fully

Andrealv

Points +59

Vegetarian
02 Dec 2008

Tofu Tacos - Edit

Not 100% vegetarian, but they have some great options. I love going here for a filling burrito or tofu tacos. They are very vegetarian friendly and will answer all your questions (no lard, etc.) For a non-veg restaurant, I have to say Yum!

Pros: tofu tacos

Cons: not 100% vege, parking

Return to Long Beach Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Cocorenos closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.