CoCo Ichibanya - Nishishinjuku

5 Chome-8-8 Nishishinjuku, Shinjuku, Tokyo, Japan, 160-0023

Serves meat, vegan options available. Curry house chain. Offers a separate vegetarian menu (you have to ask for it) where there are a number of custom veggie/vegan currys and options. Open Mon-Sun 11:00am-12:00am.

Categories: Japanese, Fast food, Non-veg

First Review by UrVeggieMate

Japanese curry - tasty and warming - Edit

We ate at Coco Ichibanya (although it was in Shinjuku, it might have been a different outlet to this one - we ate at the one in so called "Memory Lane". Either way I assume the food is the same at all of them) and it was very cold that night. It was so good to get a seat in the tiny warm restaurant and have a vegan Japanese curry be available. The service was quick and friendly, meal was fantastically tasty and filling, and cheap! We wanted to go back but didn't find another Coco Ichibanya during our travels in other parts of Japan, although they could well have been many others. Recommended!

Pros: Clearly states vegan option on menu, Very yummy, Fast and inexpensive

Cheap, quick, tasty! - Edit

Ordered: Vegetarian (also vegan) curry with okra, yamaimo (Japanese mountain yam), mushrooms and regular rice size. Their regular rice size is 300g. For a small eater like myself, 300g is generous! You can also choose your spice level. I went with regular spice. If you add more rice/spice, it costs extra. If you want less rice, then they’ll deduct some yen from your bill.

This place is part of the CoCo Ichibanya chain of curry restaurants across Japan. Some branches offer veg*n curry while others do not. They will usually have a separate veg*n curry menu on display with the other menus at the table. This particular branch also had a sticker outside the restaurant explicitly saying that vegetarian curry was served there.

When I arrived at this place, it was the lunch rush hour at around 12-1. There was about a 5 minute wait for a seat. The place is medium sized but it being located in an area of Nishishinjuku that’s about a 15-20 minute walk from the busy Shinjuku station, I understood why this place might get busy. If you’re planning on making a visit to this place, be aware that it can get busy.

The veg*n menu has around 7 curries or so, all with at least 2 veggies. I ate at other CoCo Ichi branches a few times during my time in Japan and I can say that of all the branches, Nishishinjuku’s curry was the most flavourful. The kitchen is also very quick at getting out the meals so if you’re in need of a quick, cheap, and tasty fix, then I highly recommend CoCo Ichi Nishishinjuku.

Pros: Good value for money, A veg menu with more than 2 options, Curry customisation

Return to Tokyo Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has CoCo Ichibanya - Nishishinjuku closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.